PDA

View Full Version : Small Line Array ideas

ballstothewall
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I have read the line arrays thread and now I want to make one for my dorm room.
I want a smaller line array since I don't have all that many watts to throw at it.
I was thinking of 6 of http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=269-570 these per side. Then one http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-804 these per side.

Then I was going to throw one of my RE 12's into a 1.5ft^3 box at ~28hz for the down low stuff and movies (and throw prob 70wrms at it).

What kind of crossover would I use for the array's, I could build one, except I don't know what the heck I am doing, or would it be easier to just buy one?

What do you think of my idea? Does it ****, not enough speakers, (do I need to go to 10 per side, I'd prefer not to though?).

My goals are something that sounds Good, yet gets loud and low. Is this attainable with what I have listed?

Thanks again for any help

-Ryan

JimJ
10-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I want a smaller line array since I don't have all that many watts to throw at it.

That logic is backwards...larger line arrays actually are better for less power, unless you're using extremely inefficient speakers to begin with :)

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
speakers = A+
tweeter = B+
^^ mad attenuation needed, very shrill

buy yes, 12 per side would be more exciting as well.

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
oh and pm me for the xover design :)

i can't build it right now cause i'm out of a soldering iron :crap:, but i can give u a design :)

ballstothewall
10-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Ok, so 12 speakers and 1 tweet on each side?

Lemans, with that xover design, would that fix the needing mad attenuation problem, or would it be benificial to find another tweet?

Would the sub be alright for the arrays, would it be not enough or to much???

Also, On building the boxes for them, how much air space total? And do I need to put somethin like baffles or somethin (ok, I know NOTHING about baffles or anything like it).
In some pictures I have seen eggcrate foam glued in on all sides...do I need to do something like that or what?

Thanks again

-Ryan

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah i'd just get another tweet, but we'll still attenuate :)

for this project, ur best bet is to talk with thylantr. he knows a **** load about audio and especially line arrays :D

ballstothewall
10-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Ok, thanks for the info!