PDA

View Full Version : how much rms power can i send

Naxis2k1
10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
on DIY component speakers how do you know the rms wattage to send.
do you just add all the rms wattage of each speaker?:crap:

UndercoverPunk
10-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Stop giving them more when they sound like the want to die?

OlogyAudio
10-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Many high quality speakers will self destruct thermally before showing any signs of distress other than power compression... which well if you are playing em that loud you can mistake for hearing loss :)

It depends on the DIY speaker -- but no don't just add all of them up...

PS power handling is rated differently for different speakers... so kinda just look at how they are assembled -- voice coil diameter...length... layers .. former material ... how the former is attached to the cone -- any other heat sinking methods -- phase plug? fins on motor structure? type of wire used to wind the voice coil (often a hard/impossible spec to find... but you can always guess ;) )...

GSteg
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
:2thumbs:

I dont get why people are so uptight about RMS rating. If it sounds like the speakers are being stressed out, just back down on the volume. Power is going to vary with frequency. Also, the longer you play, the more heat is build up. No one can tell how long exactly will X speaker last under Y power for Z time.

If an engine builder tells you your engine is safe to 600hp, and you're only at 400hp, but hear funny sound, do you still run it or do you say "whoa! I think i'm gonna back the *** up and stop my car"? Your car is designed to rev up to X RPM, but try running it up there for hours and see what happens. :D

You can't always look at specs like that unless you plan to run one frequency all the time.

Listening for stress is the best you can do everyday. Either that, or become a voice-coil mind reader.:crazy:

Common sense will tell you...:eyebrow:

hoss
10-20-2005, 01:38 PM
x2

Many high quality speakers will self destruct thermally before showing any signs of distress other than power compression... which well if you are playing em that loud you can mistake for hearing loss
pay attention to how they smell :)

GSteg
10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
pay attention to how they smell :)

All along I thought smokey coils smell lovely :blush::crap:

hoss
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
unless you are grossly overpowering them, they will burn off some glue before they fry. you can smell it before the coil goes smokey

bri487
10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Many high quality speakers will self destruct thermally before showing any signs of distress other than power compression... which well if you are playing em that loud you can mistake for hearing loss :)

how so? just wondering. i know like to protect the tweeter on coaxials they have a crystal that melts when it gets to hot and it shut the tweet off, but when it cools down the crystal turns solid again and lets the completes the connection so the tweet turns back on.

bri487
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
unless you are grossly overpowering them, they will burn off some glue before they fry. you can smell it before the coil goes smokey

heh, my local zapco guy, the #2 dealer in the nation, has been putting c2k 9.0's on the highs and mids lately. zapco says he's crazy, but he doesnt blow anything up.

Naxis2k1
10-21-2005, 08:23 PM
so does anyone have a way for my to find out how much power i should be sending?????????????????:crazy:

GSteg
10-21-2005, 11:46 PM
so does anyone have a way for my to find out how much power i should be sending?????????????????:crazy:

Power won't be constant. Just because an amp is rated at 50wx4 or so doesn't mean you're always sending 50w. The only way I know of to send a full constant 50w is if you have enough voltage that the amp wants, while playing one specific frequency (wont happen with music), at a specific volume.. Just listen to the speakers. common sense is all you need. If it sounds funny, smells funny, or eve looks funny, turn down the volume.

UndercoverPunk
10-22-2005, 12:54 AM
how so? just wondering. i know like to protect the tweeter on coaxials they have a crystal that melts when it gets to hot and it shut the tweet off, but when it cools down the crystal turns solid again and lets the completes the connection so the tweet turns back on.

And what brand is this, I havn't heard this before.... are you BSing me? I don't appreciate that... :p:

GSteg
10-22-2005, 12:58 AM
who else would have crystals in their components? Diamond Audio of course! :D

jk :P

hoss
10-22-2005, 02:46 AM
yes. sounds and smells, like stated above :) . shouldnt be too hard, if you think youre sending it too much power, then you most likely are, just gotta pay attention and trust your senses :)

bri487
10-22-2005, 11:05 AM
who else would have crystals in their components? Diamond Audio of course! :D

jk :P

diamond coaxials do, i know that for a fact. have you ever noticed that with higher end coaxials, the tweeter will shut off if you lay on them really hard and have a lot of power behind them? then if you let it cool off for a while it is fine again.

JettaGLI
10-22-2005, 11:48 AM
:2thumbs:

I dont get why people are so uptight about RMS rating. If it sounds like the speakers are being stressed out, just back down on the volume. Power is going to vary with frequency. Also, the longer you play, the more heat is build up. No one can tell how long exactly will X speaker last under Y power for Z time.

If an engine builder tells you your engine is safe to 600hp, and you're only at 400hp, but hear funny sound, do you still run it or do you say "whoa! I think i'm gonna back the *** up and stop my car"? Your car is designed to rev up to X RPM, but try running it up there for hours and see what happens. :D

You can't always look at specs like that unless you plan to run one frequency all the time.

Listening for stress is the best you can do everyday. Either that, or become a voice-coil mind reader.:crazy:

Common sense will tell you...:eyebrow:

My experiance, 2 days ago and the first one ever. I hooked up a 300/2 to JL VR comps and turned the gain up just under half. Threw in some test tones and next thing you know, car was filled with smoke. They were too loud for me to hear distortion. Coils were BLACK!:emb: I gotta admit..... it was kind of cool. WOuldn't mind doing that on a 12".:D