PDA

View Full Version : What kind of receiver to buy (used)?

ballstothewall
10-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Ok, I am in the market for a reciever, (some might have scene my post on SSA about home audio). I am wondering what brands are good (Denon, NAD, Onkyo, from what i've read, any more?), and what to stay away from. Also, I would like 5.1, but 2.1 would also suffice. Power handling i would like to be somehwere around 100wrms@4ohms if thats possible. I plan on using some CDT EF-61's and a RE 12" on this, (what I have lying around).

So basically I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction as what to get, what to stay away from, and if there are anyother good places to look besides ebay. Also, with the sub preout I still need another amp for the sub correct, all the preout is is the signal?

Thanks for any help

-Ryan

*Edit* I am also trying to keep this on a poor college studen'ts budget.

chefboyrlee
10-20-2005, 05:50 PM
i'm also looking for a receiver right now. i considered getting something refurbed. i just don't know where to look? do a little research on marantz, rotel, & outlaw. i've heard many good things about them. i did find 1 good site for used gear.
www.audiogon.com
lemme know what happens

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 06:07 PM
audiogon is good if u want to pay 1000 bucks a foot for Ultimate Clarity blah blah [lamp] speaker wire

JimJ
10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
audiogon is good if u want to pay 1000 bucks a foot for Ultimate Clarity blah blah [lamp] speaker wire

:confused:

You know not of what you speak :)

Audiogon caters to the "my power cable sounds better than yours" crowd, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't find hellaciously good deals on regular stuff.

I've personally bought several things from there for prices I couldn't find anywhere else, and it doesn't have the idiots that Ebay has.

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
:confused:

You know not of what you speak :)

Audiogon caters to the "my power cable sounds better than yours" crowd, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't find hellaciously good deals on regular stuff.

I've personally bought several things from there for prices I couldn't find anywhere else, and it doesn't have the idiots that Ebay has.
i haven't found a deal on there yet, but i've only been there once :)

qwerty778
10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I got a refurbished 5.1 Onkyo for $150.00 at jandr.com. It is a reputable site and my receiver still works perfectly after three years of use. It's the best deal I could find at the time on a decent home audio receiver.

Bake
10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
You might include Nakamichi in your search also. I have one on Definitive Technology speakers and it is a pretty nice setup. Everyone that sits in my den says the same thing, "It sounds like it does at the movies man" lol

PV Audio
10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
soon, movie theaters across america will be adorned, thats right, adorned, with PV Sound loudspeakers :D