PDA

View Full Version : Deadening Question

Decado
10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
So, i'm deadening the inside of the outer door panel, and i'm finding out that it is extremely difficult to get deadening on the bottom 5 inches or so of it, I don't think that I can get the deadening down there at all (big hands/arms), here's a picture of how it's set up:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/deadening.jpg
Is it going to affect anything very much by not deadening that bottom part? Or am I going to have to figure out how to get it down there?

SSS 18734
10-20-2005, 12:15 AM
I found it pretty hard to get down there as well, but with persistance and a lot of scrapes on your hands, you should be able to do it. A lot of road noise comes from down there so it would be a good idea to deaden it as well. Try taking single larger pieces of matting and sort of dangling it in there, and maybe use a screwdriver or something to firmly press down on the surface.

JimJ
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Maybe use a spray-on deadener or sludge to get to the hard-to-reach places?

squeak9798
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Easy way to find out; tap on the panel ;) If the panel sounds dead without that bottom section deadened, then you obviously aren't missing much. If it still has some resonance issues, then you need to figure out something to do down there.

Decado
10-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Easy way to find out; tap on the panel ;) If the panel sounds dead without that bottom section deadened, then you obviously aren't missing much. If it still has some resonance issues, then you need to figure out something to do down there.

Where do i tap it? On the inside? The outside? And do i tap the deadened part or the non deadened part?

squeak9798
10-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Where do i tap it? On the inside? The outside? And do i tap the deadened part or the non deadened part?

Try both

(that's the answer to all of the questions presented in your post)

Decado
10-20-2005, 02:40 AM
Try both

(that's the answer to all of the questions presented in your post)

Lol, alright, thanks.

Decado
10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Ohh and how much of a difference does it make adding a 2nd and 3rd layer of deadening? I don't think I have enough for a 2nd or 3rd layer. Ohh, and deaden over the plexiglass covering the big holes or not?

squeak9798
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Ohh and how much of a difference does it make adding a 2nd and 3rd layer of deadening? I don't think I have enough for a 2nd or 3rd layer.

Most of the effective deadening comes from the first layer. Adding more layers results in smaller incrimental increases (~20%) in deadening of the panel. And obviously the higher you are in layers, the less of a realized benefit they'll contribute.

But, it all comes down to the panel itself. If after 1 layer it still has some resonance issues and isn't satisfactorily deadened yet, obviously more layers would be needed. If it's dead after the first layer, more layers won't be necessary.

Ohh, and deaden over the plexiglass covering the big holes or not?

Depends on if they resonant or not ;)

Your questions aren't yes or no questions. Either the panel (or area, like the plexi) is dead, or it's not. If it's not, then it needs more layers. If it is, then you can stop deadening the panel. And you want to deaden anything that resonants; especially in the door if that's where your speakers are.

It's really that simple. If you question whether or not something needs deadened; tap on it and see how bad it resonants. Want to know how many layers you need? Tap on the panel after your first layers. Anywhere resonances are still present needs more deadening. After the second layer in resonant areas...tap again. Dead yet? If not, it needs more layers.

And if you want to know what resonance sounds like, or how you know when a panel is dead; Basically, when you tap on a panel it should "thud" rather than have a reverberating ring to it.

Decado
10-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Most of the effective deadening comes from the first layer. Adding more layers results in smaller incrimental increases (~20%) in deadening of the panel. And obviously the higher you are in layers, the less of a realized benefit they'll contribute.

But, it all comes down to the panel itself. If after 1 layer it still has some resonance issues and isn't satisfactorily deadened yet, obviously more layers would be needed. If it's dead after the first layer, more layers won't be necessary.

Depends on if they resonant or not ;)

Your questions aren't yes or no questions. Either the panel (or area, like the plexi) is dead, or it's not. If it's not, then it needs more layers. If it is, then you can stop deadening the panel. And you want to deaden anything that resonants; especially in the door if that's where your speakers are.

It's really that simple. If you question whether or not something needs deadened; tap on it and see how bad it resonants. Want to know how many layers you need? Tap on the panel after your first layers. Anywhere resonances are still present needs more deadening. After the second layer in resonant areas...tap again. Dead yet? If not, it needs more layers.

And if you want to know what resonance sounds like, or how you know when a panel is dead; Basically, when you tap on a panel it should "thud" rather than have a reverberating ring to it.

Thanks.

Decado
10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Another Question, I have my door all deadened with one layer, and everything seems to be pretty dead, except the 500 pieces of the window mechanism is rattling when I knock on the door. Now, is this because I need more layers? Or is there something else I have to do?

Also, will liquid nails glue plexiglass to the deadening? Or should i cut the deadening away from the hole to glue it on. And will liquid nails work to attack the foam egg carton to the deadening also?

Decado
10-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Bump.

Decado
10-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Ok, well I figured things out and one door is completely deadened and I am getting no resonating...except for the window, it is not buzzing or rattling or anything, but you can tell it is resonating, any way to stop that? Maybe put some sound deadening on the bottom part of the window that hangs down? And also, the rear door is resonating now too :laugh: , guess I'll have to buy some more sound deadening.