PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a remote start....

Colt9699
10-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I am going to buy and install a remote start in my wife's mini van as a gift to her.

I need suggestions on models and prices(features and such).
Will I need relays for the lock/unlock feature?

Starter must do 2 things lock/unlock doors and obviously start the van.

Van is a 1999 Mercury Villager

I would like to keep the price reasonable.....

I found this one, but says I will need extra parts for keyless entry.
Viper 160XV 239.99 MSRP

http://www.viper.com/security/viper/viper_rs.asp

Alpineinstaller
10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
it says "maybe required" how much expireince do you have with remote start?electronics?
The extra parts would be as you said relays, incase you have a 5 wire locking system and also you might need a relay to change to polarity of a wire

KaeZoo
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
With that remote start in a 99 Villager, you won't need any additional parts for keyless entry, but you'll need an additional relay for the remote start to power a second accessory wire. You'll also need a relay if you want the dome light to come on when you unlock the vehicle with the new remote.

Colt9699
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks fellas

I have very limited experience with remote starts....

I have installed exactly one of them...an Ungo remote start/alarm a few years ago.

But I do know the basics and how to read so I should get along just fine I hope :)

93 saturn sl2
10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
viper, very nice

6spdcoupe
10-21-2005, 12:06 AM
With that remote start in a 99 Villager, you won't need any additional parts for keyless entry, but you'll need an additional relay for the remote start to power a second accessory wire. You'll also need a relay if you want the dome light to come on when you unlock the vehicle with the new remote.

The 160 has an onboard relay for illumination. ;)

6spdcoupe
10-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks fellas

I have very limited experience with remote starts....

I have installed exactly one of them...an Ungo remote start/alarm a few years ago.

But I do know the basics and how to read so I should get along just fine I hope :)

Keep in mind Viper/Clifford and Python are not to be sold "over the counter" or via the net. Dealer installation is also Required. Without it your warranty is voided.

If you do pursue it anyway, let me know if you need the wiring diagram for your vehicle.

hifonics1
10-21-2005, 04:20 AM
the 160 does not have an onboard relay for dome supervision. no viper remote start or security does. you must use a relay if you wana dome supervision. it is a 500 ma output.

Also for that price, would include installation at best buy for instance. and wouldn't void any warranties.

6spdcoupe
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
the 160 does not have an onboard relay for dome supervision. no viper remote start or security does. you must use a relay if you wana dome supervision. it is a 500 ma output.

Also for that price, would include installation at best buy for instance. and wouldn't void any warranties.

Brain fart on the 160, your correct it does not have an onboard relay for it. Although not correct on none of the alarms. I did a 1000 the other day so it was stuck in my head. As well as the older 600s having it onboard as well.

Price is irrelevant. If He is installing it himself, then the warranty is voided.

BTW its only a 200ma output not a 500.