PDA

View Full Version : cutting my box down...

dont_smokerocks
10-19-2005, 06:03 PM
ok all, this is the first ported box i have built and it is turning out great...besides thats its way to **** big. i built the box according to the plans on RE's website. its 2.5ft cubes tuned to 35hz. my type R(bought into the hype)which is coming in the mail needs about 1.75 cubes. How much do you guys think i should cut off my box?

heres a pic of RE's box plans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/willabong8/boxplans3.gif

and heres a pic of my unfinished box

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/willabong8/IMG_0785.jpg

thanks.

danteBirosel
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
how come you wasnt aware that the box will turn out that big? RE specifically gave out there dimensions. You shouldve known or at least asked to be sure about the size of the box.

dont_smokerocks
10-19-2005, 06:22 PM
i knew the box was going to turn out that big its just i didnt know that only a few subs actually need the big of a box. i was just thinking that it would be ok for any semi- serious 12.(noobish i know) so can you answer my question?

Moe Lester
10-19-2005, 06:23 PM
well stop now because you need to start over.

dont_smokerocks
10-19-2005, 06:25 PM
theres no way i can salvage this box?

Moe Lester
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
cut like so, and reattach a new back baffle. the port needs to be the same width throughout, you got B and H switched in the plans.

edit: although if you follow the plans exactly it still doesnt match up properly... lol.

PowerNaudio
10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
not looking at any of your enclosure dimensions, if you want to make that box smaller. you can get rid of a good 3"~4" from the back wall and and another 3"~4" from the far side of the box, the other end of the port. that should make the box way smaller, then you can trim the inside port wall the change the tuning of the enclosure.

PS: that port seems like is too far off of the back wall.
how did you calculate that?

dont_smokerocks
10-19-2005, 06:55 PM
i didnt calculate anything. i just went directly with what RE said, and from what moe lester says i didnt even do that right...