PDA

View Full Version : New kappas lacking vocals

matt_martin87
10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Yesterday I hooked up my new 4x6 kappa plates and I noticed the weirdest thing was happening. The speakers played pretty much all the instumental music perfectly, but I couldn't really hear the vocals at all. I still have to double check the gains to make sure they're set right. The HU is a pioneer deh-5500mp if that helps at all.

Previous to this set up I had 4x6 alpine type s' and I ran them off the HU. Now I have a 2 channel alpine amp pushing the kappas.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks

Lil Poot
10-19-2005, 09:18 PM
462.7's? i have the same ones in my car. they sound clear and all but they kind of ****. if i play something like bme click or late night tip you cant really hear any of the words over the bass, can barely even hear the tweets.

thats what my alumapro components and kick panels are going in this weekend for :yumyum:

DIPayton
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I find that vocals are all they're good for... It's so nice and clear... every word sounds nice... the instrumental part is so nice... They lack bass horribly... but I like them still.

matt_martin87
10-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah, they're the 462.7's.

I've been tweaking with them all day today and I found that they sound good on some songs and not the others. The tweets just get run over by the mids it seems. While listening to rock, its so hard to hear the words; but with music like reggae and slower songs, the vocals are really clean and clear.

I think there may be a problem in my wiring still. Do you think I may have crossed polarities somewhere? I have no clue as to if that would cause a problem like that.

Maybe its my crossover, doubt it though.

1meanGTA, do you have the +3db button for the tweeters pushed in on the speaker? I have my tweets set flat. Maybe that's the problem...

DiamondFanatic
10-20-2005, 01:43 AM
I would try the +3 for the tweet... Normally those speakers sound decent from my experience. I do however believe that the .5 line of kappa (the predecessor) is a superior line of speakers to the new ones. That could just be because I don't care for the 2 ohm impedence..

matt_martin87
10-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Actually, I ordered my speakers online and I was originally supposed to get the .5 line. NATIONAL CAR AUDIO sent me the newer .7 model. After talking to a few people on the forums here, I decided to stick with the ones I received.

Button on eh? Time to pull off my door panels again..

6three6mafia6
10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
if i play something like bme click or late night tip you cant really hear any of the words over the bass, can barely even hear the tweets.

Hey man i had a similar problem, i had my 6x9's in my rear deck and everytime i would play a song with a lot of bass it would like drown the music, i can to find out that the subs in my trunk were causing my 6x9 to move around along with the sub, it was ruining my sound, so i bought those foam baffles, put em behind the 6x9 problem solved.

matt_martin87
10-20-2005, 04:28 PM
As of now, I'm out of a sub amp so the problem isnt bass moving my 6x9's.

Earlier today I went to a local stereo shop and they told me to look over my x-overs again.
They also told me that my 2 channel mrv-t320 was more made for subs than powering speakers??? I've know alot of people who use this amp for fronts and they don't have any problems.

r1dermon
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
first report i've heard of kappas lacking high range...weird man. i'd check the +3db tweeter setting...

matt_martin87
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Checked my x-overs and still nothing.

I did discover the strangest things happening when I adjusted the balance. Before I start, keep in mind I was tring anything, i mean anything to get my speakers workin right. First, I unplugged one rca from the back of the amp. It took all sound out of one speaker like it was supposed to. Then I went an adjusted the balance on my HU. Even when I balanced it towards the speaker that isnt getting signal, it played out of my speaker thats hooked up. Weird weird crap.

I also check the polarities and everything was alright there too. I'm almost out of ideas. Anyone, please give me some hope that my fronts will sound good yet.

matt_martin87
10-23-2005, 03:10 PM
They arent lacking the highs. They play those nice and clean. But when you put the balance in the center, they just dont seem to play any mids at all. When the balance is on either the right or left, vocals come out more, but they just don't seem clear.

Dont know what else I can do besides hook up old equipment and narrow it down to what piece of equipment is causing me problems.

Anybody else have any suggestions?