PDA

View Full Version : How important to match front and rear speaker brands?

kingsxman
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I've got infinity reference 5 1/4 (75w) components in my fronts. I'm going to be putting a profile 4 channel amp in (75w x 4) to drive the fronts and the rears. My rears currently are a old set of Alpine 3 way 6x9's that are only rated at 30w rms.

I know if I keep them in there I'll have to make sure an keep the level down so I dont blow them. If I wanted to replace them with higher powered 6x9's should I stick with a 2 way infinity? I'm wondering if its bad to match different manufacturers as they wont have the same tonal characteristics.

BTW, I have a 10" bazooka sub also.

Cris
10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
pretty important. Most people would tell you not to even bother with rear speakers, they just pull back your soundstage and confuse your ears.

chinny
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
just get some good comps for the front and some coax for the back, and power them with ur HU.

tplaya07
10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Brand matching does not make any difference. The goal is just to fing the proper speaker to fit your needs...and do like chinny said.

3.5Max6spd
10-19-2005, 09:14 PM
unless you are purposely trying a getto setup, might as well at least keep the cone material consistent if you are gonna run rearfill.....my .02cents

kingsxman
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
well, it sounds like the rears just arent that important. I do need them as I have kids that sit in the back and need to hear THIER songs occasionally..

It sounds like my old alpine 3 ways I just stuck back there are blown. Sound like ****! I wonder if the cone material or something went bad while they sat in a box for 4 years and after I started using them again they just went kaput after a bit.

Has anyone tried the speakers made by Profile? Just curious.

azbass
10-20-2005, 03:06 PM
pretty important. Most people would tell you not to even bother with rear speakers, they just pull back your soundstage and confuse your ears.

its not important, and no it dose not pull your soundstage back.

simon21
10-21-2005, 12:55 AM
My rear speakers improve the imaging and make the system sound better.

Chevyaudio
10-21-2005, 12:57 AM

IMO that means that your Front Stage speakers are lacking, If you are relying on rear fill for imaging.

simon21
10-21-2005, 01:01 AM
My rear speakers sit higher than my front speakers and they pull the stage up. They are turned down lower than the front speakers, so I'm not really relying on them. They just make it sound better.
But you have to make sure you have good speakers, otherwise they can make it sound worse.

b0mbrman
10-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Could you explain the physics of that to me?

If you're trying to trick your brain into thinking your music is coming from a stage in front of you, how would speakers behind you help?

For every inch that it pulls your stage up, it's pulling it two inches back...

JimJ
10-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Could you explain the physics of that to me?

If you're trying to trick your brain into thinking your music is coming from a stage in front of you, how would speakers behind you help?

I love you.

:yumyum: