PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem

DubStyle311
10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Alright, wired question

In my old car i had a kenwood head unit. when i would play it loud as ****, occationaly, the volume at every level would be softer. like, it would be playing loud and clear, and sudden the volume would just drop on the speakers.

i figured it was just some shotty wiring or something cus if i would let it rest a few min, it would come right back on.

so i get my new car and i get that same head unit put in, and strangly im getting the same exact problem on occation when i play it at loud volume

the head unit also gets very hot, i dont know whether that issue would be interrealated

heres the kicker

2 weeks ago, i got a JL 12w3v2 and a e1400D Amp put in. the first time it was installed after about 3 days the amp supposedly died on me. i took it to the shop and they said the amp was a bad unit and the inputs were malfunctioning.

so yesterday they repaced the e1400D with a new one and it was working fine.

i played that sucker all day (tailgating a concert), and at the end of the show, bam, it dies on me again.

anyone ever hear of something like this? comments anyone?

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Ever heard of properly setting your gain? And not over playing your HU?

Although I suppose it could be a malfunction of the HU, but sounds like you played it too loud and there were voltage problems.

DubStyle311
10-18-2005, 05:52 PM
can you please explain what setting my gains is?

vasilios
10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
can you please explain what setting my gains is?

*slaps forehead..

DubStyle311
10-18-2005, 06:03 PM
way to be a *******. come on man, i want to know wat it is. you could make a ******** comment or you coulld explaine it. the reason i come here is because i want to understand this **** more.

im gonna take it to the shop and see what they say and probably take their advice.

at least im not as ignorant as those who take their money to best buy and circuit city.

vasilios
10-18-2005, 06:11 PM
sorry bro, i would suggest really doing your homework before getting into this hobby.

there is a gain setting tutorial in the amp. section. it is a stickey.

properly setting your gains reqires precision. idealy, for accuracy you should use an oscilloscope or a digital multi-meter.

but setting your gains properly will prevent most common problems people have with their audio systems.