PDA

View Full Version : wall covering options?

soundstreamer
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
i'm about to have a dedicated room for a theater. i want to know what my options are for the walls. right now they are white painted drywall.
is it a must that i cover the walls with something softer? drapes? carpet? fabric by the yard from walmart? darker colors? prettier colors? how should i mount it? ect...
let me know what you know, please.

soundstreamer
10-17-2005, 09:47 PM
oh yeah...there will be a budget home theater project log on this once i get started.

JimJ
10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Experiment with room treatments...it might take some trial and error to see where you're getting reflections.

Chevyaudio
10-17-2005, 09:50 PM
cover the wall in Those things that McDonalds puts drinks in. It will help sound deaden but it will look like ****

PV Audio
10-17-2005, 11:02 PM
how does cardboard have sound damping qualities.....

thylantyr
10-18-2005, 02:29 AM
This topic isn't my specialty, but I've been sorta looking into this myself.

Designing a HT room is a science by itself and there is esoteric ideas and products
that can rake up costs.

If projector w/unity gain screen;
I think you will need a darker room, ie black walls would be perfect. Realistically, any dark color is fine.

If projector w/high gain screen [Vutec Silver Star]
You can go lighter on the wall colors.

If projector w/black screen;
These screen a expensive and awesome in lighting conditions.
https://webspace.utexas.edu/phungjl2/Publication1.gif

If not projecting video;
Do what you want with color

///

Sound conditioning
There are tons of products to place on the existing walls to sound condition, so
many ideas/products. You can to analyze costs on these products to see
what you can afford. I haven't looked at them yet.

In my case, whatever 'stuff' I place on the existing drywall, I will add curtains
to the walls to minimize higher frequency reflections sorta like what they do
in a real theater with fabric on the walls, but I might just place ordinary thicker
curtains that match the wall color just in case i want to move the curtains, maybe
place them on a roller?

Soo.. I have black sofas, recliners and I plan to paint my walls a burgundy color.
If you find something let me know, room decor isn't my thing...:crap: :crazy:

Chevyaudio
10-18-2005, 02:35 AM
how does cardboard have sound damping qualities.....

i dont know, i was just throwing an idea out there, but think of going up to McDonalds and ordering 10,000 Cardboard drink holders :naughty: :yumyum:

PV Audio
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
i think they'd smack you lol

1.5" sheet rock sprayed with damping foam in the walls 4 teh win

thylantyr
10-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Hanging dead bodies on the wall was plan B for me :idea: :slap:

adio
10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Hanging dead bodies on the wall was plan B for me :idea: :slap:
hahahahahahahhaahahahha:laugh:

soundstreamer
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
i'm thinking fabric by the yard. i will price and experiment with that when i get into the place.

definates for the room as of right now:
already owned:
57" tv, 5.1 stereo with all components, dvd player, xbox, and component rack.

purchasing:
new universal remote:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933
best remote evar! i played with a friends 880 and was very impressed. first universal remote i've ever known where you don't ever need other remotes for fine tuning of your electronics.

dvd racks:
http://www.avmechanica.com/Alpha_Series/Alpha_WM-512_Selector.htm
sexiest wall mount dvd/cd racks i've ever known. wall mount keeps them out of the way. adjustable book end type keeps movies from simply falling over. expandable! i will start with two and buy more as needed.

furniture:
i'm going to start with two love seats and a full size couch on a riser in the back. discount furniture store in town will hook me up with matching seats for ~$600

i'm excited about getting started on this, but, needing to buy a new refridgerator, stove, dishwasher, and dresser will really hurt my finances. pics will be up when i get internet service in the new house.