PDA

View Full Version : Started fiberglass.......now lost! LOL

bumpn_gt
10-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I am making a box for 2 - DD 9515s seeing is that it is next to impossible to get a good amount of space out of my caddy trunk with wood........

well, I got a mold of my trunk with bracing (yes I know I should have just glassed the sides, but too late now). I am lost from this point on..........I HAVE to port this enclosure......can anyone offer some guidance??? I am seriously lost. I have looked at many tutorials and can't compare to what they are doing.

What I need help with is the porting aspect..........htf do I figure this out??? This box is going to be close to 12 cubes when finished powered by 3-3.5k each daily.........

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP!
Not really looking for critics, just need help.......THANKS

http://img328.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img16985ub.jpg
http://img328.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img16992ln.jpg
http://img328.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img17009bt.jpg

PV Audio
10-16-2005, 03:53 PM
delete this post

bumpn_gt
10-16-2005, 03:57 PM
stupid thing, LOL

NhustlaR
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
well, you can most likely port one of the sides of the box...use a strip of MDF for your port dimentions. You may even want to chamber the box, it might sound better. you can chamber it by using a piece of MDF to seperate the two sides. Then look at what kind of port you need for a box for that sub. mount the port in the box(possibly connected to the middle chamber) and finish your glassing by using some fleece to cover it. I need to re-install autocad on my computer to help explain better, but for now i hope this helps

There is a lot of things that cant be totally answered due to you not explaining what tuning should be, etc. but look what those subs need cuft wise and go from there. good luck.

psst. you might want to glass that some more for added support. if those subs are monsters, the box will need to be extra strong.

flakko
10-16-2005, 04:08 PM
ummm idunno lol im confused. stick tubes in it?

bumpn_gt
10-16-2005, 04:29 PM
yes they are monster subs......I plan on adding a LOT more resin/cloth to really get it structurally sound.....

I am looking at tuning around 34hz

NhustlaR
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
alright get the calculations for the box volume for 34 hz, and chamber the box so each sub has that much cuft. Then make the right ports and set them on the center divider on the box. Then set your fleece over the mold, staple or hot glue, then glass the top. make sure you have your baffles secured on there if the subs are really that big. that should do it. gl

PV Audio
10-16-2005, 05:23 PM
so bumpngt, how much will you be feeding these subs? :D

saywhat?
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
cut it to how u want it, put a piece of wood the size of your port (assuming u go tubes) stretch the fleece over everything once your rings and all are set. glass everything, once u figure out the volume, cut the subs holes, and also cut the piece thats the size of your port diameter out. shove the length of PVC or aero port in that you need....done.

bumpn_gt
10-16-2005, 08:04 PM
so bumpngt, how much will you be feeding these subs? :D

3k rms daily...........no more 7k :(

how do I figure out how much room I have before I fleece??? I plan on mounting the rings out about 4" more than the mold itself......

saywhat?
10-16-2005, 08:46 PM
push them out farther for more airspace : )

bumpn_gt
10-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I realize that pushing them out will create more airspace.........do I wrap it and fill it with something to figure out each sides volume???

whoever said to section them off, that is a great idea.........do I just fleece it with the rings mounted and figure out the middle piece off of that???

ramos
10-17-2005, 03:11 PM
3k rms daily...........no more 7k :(

how do I figure out how much room I have before I fleece??? I plan on mounting the rings out about 4" more than the mold itself......

You can stretch the fleece over your frame and use packing peanuts to figure your volume. It's not exact, but it gives you a rough estimate of what your starting with. :)

snb778
10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Packing peanuts works pretty well. Get a cardboard box of about the same size as your enclosure. Fill your enclosure with packing peanuts. Then take all of them and dump them in a cardboard box....measure the dimensions of the box and how much you filled it....calculate the area of the cardboard box that is filled and there you go.

As far as the ports...you can do what im doing right now. Cut out your back dash and have the ports coming straight through them...saves space, and now you have all the air going directly into your car....just make sure to seal them off really well.

Chevyaudio
10-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Just pour water into the enclosure...LOL...No seriously Packing peanuts work just fine.

ramos
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Just pour water into the enclosure...LOL...No seriously Packing peanuts work just fine.

If there is no MDF involved. I do use water sometimes. :)

Psyence
10-17-2005, 05:05 PM
What I do on odd shaped boxes is... Take rough dimension, see that you have around what you are shooting for, maybe just under that, cause you wont be measuring into the nooks & crannys.

Build the entire box, before the ports, etc.

Measure the volume w/ Water or Packaging peanuts.

Water is probably easier. If you do have MDF in the box somewhere, just put a layer of fibreglass over it, to make it water resistant. Fill the enclosure w/ water and slowly pour out the water into the biggest known liquid volume container you can get... since there is going to be atleast 12cuft or so, get something that will hold as much as possible, so you dont have to pour 100x and keep doing that till you have emptied all the water.

Convert the litres, or whatever into cuft.

Then carry on with the port from there to get the right dimentions.

You can NOT make the port before the box is 100% completed.

bumpn_gt
10-17-2005, 05:13 PM
what should I do for a center divide? Just a raw piece of MDF?

skeptikal
10-17-2005, 11:23 PM
You can just use fleece. Attach it to the sides of the box (well front/back) and resin the sh*t outta it. Then start laying the glass over the fleece. It will have to be pretty thick so as not to resonate....

ramos
10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
I would use MDF. IT will also act as bracing, and would take a lot less effort than glassing a divider in. :)

NhustlaR
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
yeah, do not use fleece for the center divider. MDF is a lot stronger, it will save you some bucks, and will also be a lot easier. after mounting the center divider however you want it, mount the baffles where you need them(out far enough so you know you have enough ft^3)and wrap the fleece. You can figure out roughly what your cuft willl be if you take a couple rough measurments with your handy stanley ;) after taking measurments on how high you need it, mount the baffles that far out.

I would have started off a little different, using mdf for the bottom piece, but what can you do. Packing peanuts are easier than water also. No need to worry about spillin water all over the place, and getting it out of the mounting baffles. a lil vaccum job will get the remaining peanuts out of there a lot faster and easier, since you do not have to wipe it all out and let it dry like if you were using water. again, good luck! pm me if you have any other ?s

bumpn_gt
10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
nhustlar........I appreciate your kind words of advice......thanks again!!

I will be taking the adventure this weekend of doing a center divide.....

I will post up my measurements if someone can help me out with what I need for port dimensions.....that would be great!

NhustlaR
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
lets see some pics of this thing....

bumpn_gt
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
pics are on the first page.......

I plan on measuring it tonight to figure out how far the rings need to be set out

NhustlaR
10-22-2005, 09:54 PM
*new pics* ;)

bumpn_gt
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
there are no new pics.....unless you want to see my itching my head standing there with a tape measure?

:D

bumpn_gt
10-22-2005, 10:01 PM
current measurements are 43x30x16 (roughly not taking in account for any of the curves)

which comes out to about 11.94444444444444

now I have to figure out displacement so I can figure the rings.....

NhustlaR
10-23-2005, 03:23 PM
and how many cubes do you need for each sub?

if they need like 4ish ft^3 you should be good with those dimentions. show me some more pics of your ideas and i can help you out some more. i can make up a diagram for you if you'd like. it will be on paint though cuz my ephing autocad wont work right.

bumpn_gt
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
NhustlaR........you will be hearing from me in the VERY near future!

Omarvelous
01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Ummm.....can i see the trunk this came out of?