PDA

View Full Version : Cutting angled joints

gr3nade
10-16-2005, 02:52 AM
I've always just built standard boxes where all of the joints are 90 degree angles. I'm gonna be building a box for my silverado tomorrow and it will be oddly shaped with miter cuts I think they're called. How do you join these type of cuts? It doesn't seem like you can screw them together.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/sanchez/boxes/Silverado%20028.jpg

And also how do you measure the angles? Do you just guess and keep trying until it fits your car?

Thanks

rocky 59
10-16-2005, 02:54 AM
u can crew them together or use liquid nails and gorilla glue. but you can screw them together. and if thats a truck box isnt it backwards?

gr3nade
10-16-2005, 02:56 AM
u can crew them together or use liquid nails and gorilla glue. but you can screw them together. and if thats a truck box isnt it backwards?
I was just using that pic for an example, it's not mine. But actually it is for a Silverado, it faces down towards the floor.

rocky 59
10-16-2005, 03:40 AM
if there not to sharp you can screw them.

Omarvelous
10-16-2005, 03:50 AM
And also how do you measure the angles? Do you just guess and keep trying until it fits your car?

Thanks

You could either
a) Get a sheet of paper, and cut it to align with the angle. Then either use A^2+b^2 = C^2 to get the angle, or get a compass
b) see if it's been done for the same truck, and ask people what they used. Did that for the BMW box.

Omarvelous
10-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm gonna be building a box for my silverado tomorrow and it will be oddly shaped with miter cuts I think they're called. How do you join these type of cuts? It doesn't seem like you can screw them together.

Well i know of a Miter Saw, that mainly does like molding, 2X4 type stuff. To get angles in wide sheets of wood, u'd have to use a Table Saw capable of doing angles.

i remember www.bcae.com had a cut sheet for angle boxes.