PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Eclipse CD 8053 Gurus...Need Help!

greg12a
10-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey guys, I need your expert knowledge - specific to the Eclipse 8053 (and other models with the Pro-mode option)...

My current car audio setup (please excuse my goofs on terminology - am somewhat of a novice with just enough knowledge to be dangerous) :)

- Tuner: Eclipse CD8053 (8V - with built-in Cross-over control/no amplification)
- Front Speakers: MB Quart 1" Q-series Tweeters/5.25 Q-Series MidBass in the front doors (8 years old)
- Rear Speakers: MB Quart 5.25 Coaxials (8 years old)
- Subs: JL Audio 10 inch (2)
- Speaker Amp: A/D/S P640 (6 x 40 watts) - with high pass + bandpass + low-pass crossover controls
- Sub Amp: A/D/S P1400 (1 x 400 wattts) - with cross-over controls

Previously I had the Eclipse CD5303 tuner (for 7-8 years) and LOVED it (and the corresponding set-up). I finally decided to join the IPOD craze; needed a deck with aux input; so decided to go with the Eclipse CD8053.

Problems:
1) I had a local stereo shop install it and it sounds "terrible". They were unfamilar with the Eclipse 8053 and unfamilar with the A/D/S flexibility. I wanted them to install the 8053 in pro-mode, but they weren't familar with this configuration. I realize the "terrible" statement all has to do with the right install and right tuning/settings (since this a GREAT deck).
2) My MB Quart 25.01 Q Tweeters are "tired" (8 years old) and need replacing
3) Would like to run the CD8053 in Pro-mode, but current setup won't necessarily work (since the 8053 front-"outs" go to the tweets and mids; rear-outs to the rear coaxials; and sub-out to the subwoofer). My understanding is that the front-outs need to go to the tweeters; rear-outs to the mids(potentially both front mids and rear-mids/co-axs); and sub-outs to the subwoofer. Since the front-outs are configured for both the tweets and the front-mids, I can't independently control the high pass and band-pass (since the rear-outs are needed for the rear co-axs). (Pheww, hope that made sense)

Goal: To go completely active - in that the Eclipse CD8053 controls all crossover points for the front tweets; front mids (bandpass); rear speakers; and rear sub. I also want to continue using the subwoofer fade control on the tuner. I realize the A/D/S amps offer tons of flexibility - but would like to have all this configured within the Eclipse deck (fully active through tuner - no external crossovers or amplifier crossovers).

Questions:
1) I definitely need to replace the 1" tweeters (and midbass)- Should I go with the MB Quart QSD216's or the PCE216's (with the expectation to sell the included x-over)?
2) What should I go with in the back (5.25 midbass or 5.25 co-ax)?
- If I go with tweeters/mid in the front and co-ax in the rear, how would I wire this out of the 8053 in order to control the pro-mode settings? Would I have the 8053 front outs go to the tweeters and then the mids and rear co-axials as rear-outs configured in band-pass mode - via the 8053?

- If I go with tweeters/mid in the front and mids in the rear, how would I wire this out of the 8053 in order to control the pro-mode settings?
3) Related to #2, how should I wire up the Eclipse 8053 with the speakers - in order to work in PRO-MODE?
4) Based on the 8053 Pro-mode speaker set-up; what cross-over settings would you recommend for 1) front tweets 2) mids 3) subwoofer? What slope settings for those three?
5) Any other pro-mode advice or recommendations (or better yet, any existing write-ups).

I'm gonna take all advice/recommendations; buy the necessary speakers; and then take it to a reputable installer here in Seattle - where we can configure pro-mode/etc (do it the right way).

Sorry for the long-winded post - but I definitely appreciate any advice/suggestions/comments you could provide. Feel free to let me know if other approaches would make more sense. Thanks guys!

alphakenny1
10-14-2005, 03:50 AM
i am no expert so if anyone can correct me please do. i can't answer all your questions cuz i don't know all the answers to some of them. so here i go. fyi, i have the 8455 using pro mode as well.

If I go with tweeters/mid in the front and co-ax in the rear, how would I wire this out of the 8053 in order to control the pro-mode settings? Would I have the 8053 front outs go to the tweeters and then the mids and rear co-axials as rear-outs configured in band-pass mode - via the 8053?

You want a three way active setup correct? well with wiring the tweets and mids to the front (or hi) you can't actively control the mid or the tweet. to my knowledge you can only high pass the front on the eclipse. So let's say you hp it at 100hz, well ****it the tweet will see frequencies it isn't supposed to and same with the mid. you need separate channels for the mids and the tweets to go active. okay ima just use terms using the 3 way crossover (front rca = hi, rear rca = mid). I dunno about your other diagram where you have the tweets to the hi's and mids/coaxes to the mid. That might work. The only problem is the tweet in the coaxial is going to see frequencies its not supposed to. What usually people do is run an active front stage and then run the rears off the head unit power but in your case thats not possible. so maybe you could get a another mid, just mid, for your rears.

4) Based on the 8053 Pro-mode speaker set-up; what cross-over settings would you recommend for 1) front tweets 2) mids 3) subwoofer? What slope settings for those three?

umm well that all depends on you buddy. thats the point of going active. its the fun of messing around with the crossover until it sounds just right. Play with it and find whats right for you. Also sometimes you can get graphs of the speaker and use that information when setting your crossover pts. When i got my tweets the guy told me that i should see my hp at 3khz and 24db slope. Again its up to you in a way. play with it. Here's my crossover setup right now:

tweets - 3.15khz and up 24db slope
mid - 100hz - 3.15khz 18 db slope
low - 100hz and below 18 db slope

Like i said im no expert and relatively new to car audio myself but hey i tried :) . If any of this info is wrong please correct me.

3.5Max6spd
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
to be able to run active fronstage and sub you leave no chs off the hu left for rearfil control on the deck-you can however still run rearfill should you use the amps output , or if its a 4ch just run it with single input...

The only deck that will allow you 4 way active control fron the deck is the drz9255

bikejunkie223
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
to be able to run active fronstage and sub you leave no chs off the hu left for rearfil control on the deck-you can however still run rearfill should you use the amps output , or if its a 4ch just run it with single input...

The only deck that will allow you 4 way active control fron the deck is the drz9255
x2. That deck's pro mode assumes you aren't using rear fill, as most truly "pro" systems don't. The crossover points depend on you, and also your speakers. I know my Dls tweeters will play a ton lower than the diamonds they replaced and sound good, so speaker choice influences crossover points a ton.

ngsm13
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I used to own an 8053, and in all honesty...you could just split the signal for the mids. The "rear" channel which will be used to mids in pro-mode. Just get TWO y-splitters, and take an individual L/R for the front mids, and a L/R for the rear coaxials. This is ONLY if you INSIST on rear-fill (I don't use it), and it will be just that...rear "fill" since it will only be playing the same frequencies as the front mids (bandpassed). That's the way I would do it if I HAD to have rear fill.

In pro-mode, the crossover points and slopes ALL depend on your speakers. I prefer using 24 dB/OCT slopes. Remember that you want the point at which they CROSS to be -3dB down...to not create a peak at the actual CROSSover point of the two driver/frequencies. That is my recommendation.

NG

greg12a
10-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone for their input.

I guess I'll go ahead and dump the rear coaxials and go with some new 5.25s in the rear - and split the 2nd output from the Eclipse 8053 deck with the front mids. I think I prefer the rear-fill - especially with having a 4Runner (larger size and all).

You're right about the settings - I'll have to spend a day or two tweaking and dialing in the system - since there are a zillion different combinations on that deck.

Now I'll just have to find a Seattle installer that is very familar with the 8053 and get the basics down. I'm tired of having a sweet deck and decent components and not squeezing the most out of it!

Thanks again.