PDA

View Full Version : winter project

rocky 59
10-14-2005, 02:18 AM
i plan on making my own fiberglass box for my 03 s-10 reg cab to hold 2 L7's. its going to be jet black to match my truck. but i have some questions- sealed or ported? 9 or 11 layers? how do i recess the amp rack i want to put on top? thanks for your help

dustinr
10-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Don't know much about fiberglass.. but I will tell you this. PORT THEM! L7's get LOUD ported. I don't think I'd ever seal an L7.

btw.. your not to far off from me ;)

bigbangtheory
10-14-2005, 02:33 AM
Well yeah port them but it wont fit in a regular cab s-10? Hell even sealed I dont think you could fit those unless you are a midget. I would do a blow through and port the l7s and give them some nice power. That would turn some heads.

ramos
10-14-2005, 09:39 AM
1. What size L7's ? It's gonna be tight anyway you look at it.
2. Never heard an L7 sealed either. Every L7 enclosure I have built has been ported.
3. Check out uscomposites.com look at the kyntex biaxial 17 oz. stitched mats.
http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html. You won't need more than two to four layers, depending upon how much power your running. Per yard it's more expensive but you will save money by not needing as much material.
4. The amp rack really depends. If you want it flat and the amps flushed in, Just build it out of MDF. Alot less prep work involved, and it's alot easier to get a piece of MDF completely flat as opposed to a glass panel. :)

Omarvelous
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
3. Check out uscomposites.com look at the kyntex biaxial 17 oz. stitched mats.
http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html. You won't need more than two to four layers, depending upon how much power your running. Per yard it's more expensive but you will save money by not needing as much material.

I can see what u mean by needing less, being that it's 17oz compared to like the 3/4oz mat, but lets say we did use like 3/4, how many layers would be needed compared to the biaxial?

I have no grasp of the quantities needed, want to b4 i start purchasing.

Sorry, not jacking, just borrowing without proper notice!

ramos
10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I can see what u mean by needing less, being that it's 17oz compared to like the 3/4oz mat, but lets say we did use like 3/4, how many layers would be needed compared to the biaxial?

I have no grasp of the quantities needed, want to b4 i start purchasing.

Sorry, not jacking, just borrowing without proper notice!

Two layers of the 17oz. biaxial is over a 1/4" thick when rolled properly.
Versus the 2 layers of 3oz. or 4oz being a a freckle over 1/16" when rolled porperly.
You still need almost the same amount of resin biaxial. As these mats are like a sponge :D. They will absorb some resin. But it wets out so lovely..... :)

ramos
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
There are also other ways of getting strength other than just using heavier or more layers of mat. Any curves in the panel will make it stronger than flat. Using strips of wood, mdf, or rope glass in between a couple of layers will add a whole lotta strength as well. :)

Omarvelous
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Two layers of the 17oz. biaxial is over a 1/4" thick when rolled properly.
Versus the 2 layers of 3oz. or 4oz being a a freckle over 1/16" when rolled porperly.
You still need almost the same amount of resin biaxial. As these mats are like a sponge :D. They will absorb some resin. But it wets out so lovely..... :)

yea makes sense.

and you would still recommend cutting this material in like small manageable sizes? Or could we get away with bigger strips?

saywhat?
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM
id say you coud probably use 3-5 inch wide strips with it, depending on how big your project is of course. the more strips u have a t 90* each other, the stronger it will be. id shoot for 3-4 inch max with a normal al box like your going for.

saywhat?
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
a question i have, that may help the guy is, how much does a front baffle usually take? yardage wise? 3 yards? 2 yards? its just for 1 12 1.5 cubes sealed....

ramos
10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Of biaxial ,probably 2 yards unless the box is flat as a pancake :D

ramos
10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
yea makes sense.

and you would still recommend cutting this material in like small manageable sizes? Or could we get away with bigger strips?

I tend to use the largest pieces I can handle easily. As long as each layer is wetted out properly, and you alternate bias with each layer. Your good to go.....:)