PDA

View Full Version : Polyester vs. Epoxy - Better? And How much is enough???

Omarvelous
10-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Ok guys 2 part question

PART 1
Which one in your opinion is better for subwoofer enclosures and why?

No he say/she say, personal experience.

Does the extra cost justify buying the Epoxy?

PART 2
How much is enough?

Lets say i had a 12" wide roll of mat, and i stretched it out all the way. And layered it with 3 other rolls, how much of it could i resin with 1 gallon of resin??

Thank you in advanced guys!

skeptikal
10-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I'd say polyester resin just because its the only thing i've ever used...

Also there is no way to tell you how much of that **** you'd cover if you used a gallon of resin. A gallon is alot but you could need more for a sub enclosure.

fo0manchu
10-13-2005, 12:57 AM
use polyester for sake of cost, especially with fiberglass. Epoxy resin is stronger as the bonds between the atoms are stronger, but when building a sub enclosure the strength of poyester resin will do fine. Doesn't justify the higher cost, unless you just want to waste money. Epoxy resins are usually used for laying carbon and kevlar, where you need the structural integrity of the product to be high and need the product to be very light. Such as when building a frame of a race car.

ramos
10-13-2005, 08:04 AM
1. depends really, epoxy is better for adhering things. Polyester is a butt load cheaper. There is a little difference in the strength, but at the thickness of a sub enclosure it's almost negligable. I would say polyester for the shear cost factor.

2. Depends on the weight of the mat and or cloth your intending to use. The heavier the mat, the more resin it soaks up. :)

twisztdauthorit
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes bringing the thread back!... where the hell can i get some Resin for cheap... everywhere i looked its like 70+$ for a gallon when its only 30$ at lowes..

Where can i get a 5gallon container of resin for cheap?

PSturmer
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
i am actually testing resins right now.....

helotaxi
11-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes bringing the thread back!... where the hell can i get some Resin for cheap... everywhere i looked its like 70+$ for a gallon when its only 30$ at lowes..

Where can i get a 5gallon container of resin for cheap?

Just get it at Lowes. What are you making that needs 5 gallons?

twisztdauthorit
11-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Just get it at Lowes. What are you making that needs 5 gallons?

buying in bulk is usually cheaper....

helotaxi
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Until you have to pay shipping and HAZMAT fees.

tRidiot
11-15-2007, 08:47 PM
www.uscomposites.com

twisztdauthorit
11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah, i guess shipping would be a *****.

Anybody know if there are any stores that carry cheaper stuff.
might just end up shoppnig from the depot/lowes

Is 6$ per 9ft^2 of matt expensive?

seems to me like it is but just wondering

ngsm13
11-15-2007, 10:01 PM
www.uscomposites.com (http://www.uscomposites.com)

BINGO!!!

nG

hempy
11-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Screw buying it online. Find a boat shop and go from there.

ramos
11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Screw buying it online. Find a boat shop and go from there.

I have a friend that owns a performance boat shop that I usually buy from . But due to the increase in oil prices , even getting it through him has gotten ridiculous. And for the installs in a car, I flat out refuse to pay the premium price for epoxy. Buying in bulk can be a good thing if you plan on using it up in a few months. Poly resin, as it get's old slows down the catalytic reaction , requiring the use of more mekp. :)

twisztdauthorit
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
**** those oil prices. the cheapest gas around here is $3.17 and the highest is up to around $3.59 per gallon

Well now that i realize that there is a shelf life, i better put my epoxy to use. Id rather practice and get better instead of tossing it.

I know epoxy resin$ > the polyester resin$
but lowes and the depot only sell epoxy.
I might just have to look at some boat repair shops and see if i can get some cheaper over there.

ramos
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
**** those oil prices. the cheapest gas around here is $3.17 and the highest is up to around $3.59 per gallon

Well now that i realize that there is a shelf life, i better put my epoxy to use. Id rather practice and get better instead of tossing it.

I know epoxy resin$ > the polyester resin$
but lowes and the depot only sell epoxy.
I might just have to look at some boat repair shops and see if i can get some cheaper over there.

As long as you keep the epoxy out of light , it should be okay for quite a while . UV light is the Achilles heel of epoxy resin. :)

helotaxi
11-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Lowes and the Depot here only have poly resin.

ramos
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Lowes and the Depot here only have poly resin.

Same here as well , it's all the local auto parts stores sell as well. Truthfully poly will be fine for 99.9% of car audio projects. :)