PDA

View Full Version : I would like to find a speaker that fits the following requirements...

JimJ
10-12-2005, 02:24 PM
- is a 6.5"
- 2 ohm impedance
- ability to coaxially mount the tweet
- decent midbass response
- 250W power handling

Does anyone have anything that comes to mind? DIY solutions are always welcomed...I don't mind getting my hands dirty in a little Xover design if needed.

john#21
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Phoenix gold xenons, all but the 2 ohm requirement

bri487
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
- is a 6.5"
- 2 ohm impedance
- 250W power handling

Does anyone have anything that comes to mind? DIY solutions are always welcomed...I don't mind getting my hands dirty in a little Xover design if needed.

can you run a pair of 6.5"s? the diamond d3 coaxials have decent midbass.

3.5Max6spd
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
boston pro, z6's...

the diamonds D6's and older CM3's have braxial mounts-you can get away with feeding them that power carefully...but my brother had issues with the surround of the mid hitting the braxial mount feeding it an underated 125rms x2....so i dunno if its something you wanna worry about, specially if you have to snug a door panel over it....they are out of the league of the Bostons tho

DIY is quite easy, a metal strap will solve tweeter mount- but it limits you to tweeter size(i.e. non chambered, acoustic volume)

squeak9798
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Image Dynamics Chameleon's fit your needs.....all except for the co-axial mounting option. However, it's not hard to whip up a little bracket to hold the tweeter over the mid (a la CDT Braxials).

Boston Acoustics speakers meet all your criteria except the 2ohm thing. However, they are 3ohm...which is close.

DIY with a pair of XXX mids and some nice Vifa, Seas or LPG tweets. However, again, no co-axial option, but building a mounting bracket wouldn't be difficult.

But, as I said in your thread on SSA a while back....presuming that amp does 125w x 2 @ 4ohm, you really shouldn't rule out 4ohm components. A ton of power isn't necessary to get most component sets to more than adequate output levels. You'd never use all 125w of that amp with 4ohm components.

audiolife
10-12-2005, 03:31 PM
the phase plug can be removed and tweeter put there unless the changeded it

twoohfour
10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Image Dynamics Chameleon's fit your needs.....all except for the co-axial mounting option. However, it's not hard to whip up a little bracket to hold the tweeter over the mid (a la CDT Braxials).

Can those really handle 250 a side? The component set or just the mids?

twoohfour
10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
****it i was really hoping someone would respond to this, i had the exact same question in my head as jack

FoxPro5
10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
- is a 6.5"
- 2 ohm impedance
- 250W power handling

Like Squeak said, the IDs will do everything you want excep for the tweet mount. The Bostons are your next best bet because they will like that power, can be configured like a coaxial, but are 3 ohm. And the CDT HD-63 braxials have all but are a 4ohm. Though coice...I know....I looked at all of them and then went with the Bostons because I liked the way they sounded the most. Good luck on your quest for speaker pefection;)

Chevyaudio
10-14-2005, 12:05 PM
DIY with a pair of XXX mids and some nice Vifa, Seas or LPG tweets. However, again, no co-axial option, but building a mounting bracket wouldn't be difficult

I like that option