PDA

View Full Version : My first FG attempt... :-/

negativezeroz
10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Well I'm using bonbo fiberglass resin and bondo fiberglass mat. I didn't get the mat tight enough on first layer so there are some saggy areas but will fix once the layers are dry.

Here it is..:blush:
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/4658/img01042xu.th.jpg (http://img430.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01042xu.jpg)
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/8985/img01052sv.th.jpg (http://img430.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01052sv.jpg)
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/1874/img01062ab.th.jpg (http://img430.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01062ab.jpg)

its' hideous I know..

Moe Lester
10-11-2005, 05:28 PM
you should use fleece for the first layer because it stretches really well

negativezeroz
10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
you should use fleece for the first layer because it stretches really well

wel this is my first "attempt" lol so on the box that actually counts I will cuz I did notice the mat is hard to get tight cuz it just stretches and doesnt stay tight...but no holes in the mat tho which is good

I have alot of sanding and bondoing to do...:crap:

PV Audio
10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
i think it looks good cause i haven't messed around with fiberglass.

Chevyaudio
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah go for the fleece the next time. I tried just using the matte and cloth the first time i did fiberglass, and i ended up trashing the project. The nextime i used fleece, and the job came out great, i even got it smooth enough to paint

negativezeroz
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
i think it looks good cause i haven't messed around with fiberglass.

:) thanks...it is alot easier than I imagined it to be...I wish I would have started it earlier..like last year...hard part is gonna be getting it smooth and symmetrical

negativezeroz
10-11-2005, 09:02 PM
bump

ruckus
10-11-2005, 09:05 PM
wel this is my first "attempt" lol so on the box that actually counts I will cuz I did notice the mat is hard to get tight cuz it just stretches and doesnt stay tight...but no holes in the mat tho which is good

I have alot of sanding and bondoing to do...:crap:
thats because fiberglass is not ment to be "stretched" it is ment to either mold around areas or reinforce resin soaked materials. I would just stretch a t-shirt or something over it and resin it then lay mat on top of that. Will be easier than having a 200lb bondo box.

req
10-11-2005, 09:30 PM
id strongly suggest you rip that off, and use some hot-glue (high temperature) and glue stretched fleece down, and re-resin.

you will seriously be happy you did. if you dont, you will be spending at least two more hours applying bondo and sanding (possibly more if this is your first time)

negativezeroz
10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
id strongly suggest you rip that off, and use some hot-glue (high temperature) and glue stretched fleece down, and re-resin.

you will seriously be happy you did. if you dont, you will be spending at least two more hours applying bondo and sanding (possibly more if this is your first time)

well ive made it this far im just gonna sand and bondo away this week so it iwll be a learning experience for me...my next box (within 2 wks will be replacing my current ~1.7ft^3 ported at ~29Hz enclosure for my (3) 804's).....that one I will use fleece and mat...thanks tho guys :)

THUNDERBIRD
10-11-2005, 11:10 PM
hey its ok man my first was a disaster too. just strech fleece next time. it is a learnin thing

jellyfish420
10-11-2005, 11:33 PM

i use 3M spray adhesive (only 3M) it works really well and is easier to use then hot glue;)

req
10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
well ive made it this far im just gonna sand and bondo away this week so it iwll be a learning experience for me...my next box (within 2 wks will be replacing my current ~1.7ft^3 ported at ~29Hz enclosure for my (3) 804's).....that one I will use fleece and mat...thanks tho guys :)

suit yourself.

i still highly recommend tearing it off while you still can. you have no idea how hard thats going to be to fix.

ruckus
10-12-2005, 07:41 AM
suit yourself.

i still highly recommend tearing it off while you still can. you have no idea how hard thats going to be to fix.
and how heavy caked on bondo weights lol.

ramos
10-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Getting there brother man. :) Like was said previously that's gonna take a crap load of filler. Which isn't a good thing. If you really don't want to redo it fleece, t-shirt, grill cloth, trunk liner or what have you ( I personally would ). Instead of plain jane body filler you really should use some glass reinforced filler. A whole lot stronger. body filler by itself that thick is just asking for trouble. Don't get discouraged though your getting it :)

UndercoverPunk
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
I, too, would start over... You don't realize how much work it's going to be to make that ok.

RandyJ
10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
LMFAO, I saw the title and thought it said first GF attempt. I was thinkin ****, ***** for him.

bjfish11
10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
LMFAO, I saw the title and thought it said first GF attempt. I was thinkin ****, ***** for him.
ha ha, nothing wrong with never having a gf, well i wouldnt know.....lol

jujumantb
10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
with all the threads of fiberglass tutorials, how could you have possibly forgot about stretching fleece?

negativezeroz
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
with all the threads of fiberglass tutorials, how could you have possibly forgot about stretching fleece?

Because I started with the mat since it doesnt create holes like fleece does because the mat was made specifically for the resin...thats why...and I dont really have that much filler to use..started sanding last night..and its not that much really....mainly just spots where it sags otherwise no its not that bad

chinny
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
thats some ugly **** man... but ull get better.

ramos
10-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Because I started with the mat since it doesnt create holes like fleece does because the mat was made specifically for the resin...thats why...

Huh ?? The only holes created in fleece are the ones you cut. Resin soaks right into it, And it hardens like a rock. Actually it's alot easier to put holes in mat and or cloth than fleece. When resin is applied to mat it disolves the binding agent in the mat itself. And get gets pretty flimsy when wet . Fleece on the other hand just sits there and soaks up all the resin :)

NhustlaR
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Huh ?? The only holes created in fleece are the ones you cut. Resin soaks right into it, And it hardens like a rock. Actually it's alot easier to put holes in mat and or cloth than fleece. When resin is applied to mat it disolves the binding agent in the mat itself. And get gets pretty flimsy when wet . Fleece on the other hand just sits there and soaks up all the resin :)

^:up2somet: he wins :up2somet:

NhustlaR
10-12-2005, 02:40 PM
and a+ on the sig thats 100% true too...what kind of beer counts for the 5 percent

skeptikal
10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
to tell you the truth man it is really ugly im not gonna lie but all fiberglass is ugly until its finished.

You don't need to start over. You've already got it mounted to the box and everything you just went an unconventional way and used mat instead of fleece. No big deal. Start sanding and laying down more layers of glass then worry about bondo at the end. Starting over would mean you'd need a new box, a new MDF ring and more fiberglass. Don't start over, keep going till its done.

audiolife
10-12-2005, 02:57 PM
lol look at it like this a dat of drying or a day of sanding.........lol not only that but that glass needs to be thick4 layers at least with mat 1 layer with a good fleece the crap i have dries to over 1/4" thick 1 layer

ramos
10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
You guys really need to look into the knitted biaxials and such when your building sub enclosures. Two or three layers and you can park your car on it. :)

ramos
10-12-2005, 03:05 PM
and a+ on the sig thats 100% true too...what kind of beer counts for the 5 percent

Depends on what's on special at the beer store. :)

req
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
i re-state.

i STRONGLY suggest tearing what you have done already off, and just doing fleece. i could have that box done in 3 hours (with dry time for the resin) and carpeted by the time you are done putting bondo on and waiting for it to dry.

im 100% serious.

chinny
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
^^ x2

audiolife
10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
i re-state.

i STRONGLY suggest tearing what you have done already off, and just doing fleece. i could have that box done in 3 hours (with dry time for the resin) and carpeted by the time you are done putting bondo on and waiting for it to dry.

im 100% serious.
u like it tacky

skeptikal
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Add 3 more layers of glass and boom you got your 4 layers total!

req has no idea what he is talking about. he = teH sux0rs @ fiberglass :P You don't necessarily HAVE to fleece it. The fleece just gives you a better structure to lay the glass on. Since you've already got your structure and a layer of glass keep going!

negativezeroz
10-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Add 3 more layers of glass and boom you got your 4 layers total!

req has no idea what he is talking about. he = teH sux0rs @ fiberglass :P You don't necessarily HAVE to fleece it. The fleece just gives you a better structure to lay the glass on. Since you've already got your structure and a layer of glass keep going!

thanks...all I seriously have to do is add a lil bondo (a whopping 30mins to dry) and sand

skeptikal
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks...all I seriously have to do is add a lil bondo (a whopping 30mins to dry) and sand

lol that is not what i said :P. You will need bondo before you are done with the project but until you are ready to start the finishing process i would just leave bondo out of the picture :P

negativezeroz
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
lol that is not what i said :P. You will need bondo before you are done with the project but until you are ready to start the finishing process i would just leave bondo out of the picture :P

I already have enough layers...im at the bondo stage is what I was saying

my next fg box will be here in next week or so..I will use fleece then

saywhat?
10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
req is right about it being much easier to just rip that glass off. its the easiest thing to do. that front baffle will vibrate and crack ur bondo if its anything more than 1/8-1/4 inch.

skeptikal
10-12-2005, 05:03 PM
not if he puts enough layers of FG down before he puts bondo on it. lay a layer of resin over the bondo and boom problem solved :P

req
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
i never said it wasnt possible.

i said it was a million bajillion times eaiser. and its not just the 'foundation' that makes it eaiser, it gives you the nice smooth curving shape you want in a matter of minutes. trust me... its the way to do it right.

and my resin dries in 45mins~1.5 hours (in the summertime) normally. i do all my fleece and glass in the same step. only takes about 15 minutes. then a light 40 grit sand, and carpet.

it really should not take you more than half a day unless the weather does not let the epoxy harden.

u like it tacky

ill make you tacky :uhoh:

negativezeroz
10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
req is right about it being much easier to just rip that glass off. its the easiest thing to do. that front baffle will vibrate and crack ur bondo if its anything more than 1/8-1/4 inch.

what you mean if my bondo is more than 1/8"-1/4"? You saying the FG/Bondo will crack?

ramos
10-13-2005, 07:56 AM
what you mean if my bondo is more than 1/8"-1/4"? You saying the FG/Bondo will crack?

Yep the bondo will, that's what I said in in an earlier post in this thread. If your gonna keep going with what you have. You should really use bondo hair, kitty hair, or some other fiberglass reinforced filler first to fill in the low spots ( looks like a lot are more than a 1/4" deep ). Then use the body filler on top too smooth it out. :)

Denial
10-13-2005, 08:11 AM
doesnt look all THAT bad, i want to try my go at FG shortly also

negativezeroz
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
well I was gonna use the filler on parts needed then lay some resin on top of the bondo then prime then paint...

req
10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
your better off doing it with fleece.

you have no idea. honestly. just take it off and re-do it. you might have to cut a new baffle ring, but seriously. you are wasting your time with this. practice with fleece so your next project comes out better.

UndercoverPunk
10-13-2005, 10:54 AM
your better off doing it with fleece.

you have no idea. honestly. just take it off and re-do it. you might have to cut a new baffle ring, but seriously. you are wasting your time with this. practice with fleece so your next project comes out better.

X a million and a half... you have no clue how much better off you'd be to just re-do it...

Please just start over.

ramos
10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
well I was gonna use the filler on parts needed then lay some resin on top of the bondo then prime then paint...

By applying resin over the filler you will do nothing but create a pain in the a$$ for yourself. It's a waste of time and your money. Once you apply the resin over the filler. You will undo all the sanding you did in the first place to make it smooth.

For future reference
Body filler = almost no strength at all purely cosmetic in use.
Resin = almost no strength at all by itself. Must be used with mat and or cloth to provide any kind of real strength.

Just trying to help you brother man, just trying to help ............:)

Chevyaudio
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Re do it with fleece, you will thank yourself

PV Audio
10-13-2005, 12:26 PM
i'm curious as to how hard FG really is cause i'd like to try it sometime :)

ramos
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
If you read ahead of time, and take your time. It's not very difficult at all. :)

skeptikal
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
bah you are a bunch of wusses ;P

re-do it I wanted to see how long it would take you to get it done like that ;P. It will take much less time

negativezeroz
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
ok let me just fu(king pull more $ out of my *** and go buy some fleece...let me do that

azbass
10-13-2005, 03:14 PM

staples > hot glue,

skeptikal
10-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Lol man fleece is like $5/yd. And that is about all you'll need. You want something done, do it right the first time.

ramos
10-13-2005, 03:30 PM
ok let me just fu(king pull more $ out of my *** and go buy some fleece...let me do that

HELLO....is this thing on. Dude I told you how to fix it the proper way if you don't want to redo everything. But what do I know............. :)

negativezeroz
10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Lol man fleece is like $5/yd. And that is about all you'll need. You want something done, do it right the first time.

well this is my first time with it so yeah...Im gonna have to destroy that lil box I made then cuz that FG is stuck on it....itd take my jigsaw and ALOT of sanding to get all the current FG off to apply fleece...:crap: well sheeeet....I guess...walmart here i come...

audiolife
10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
well this is my first time with it so yeah...Im gonna have to destroy that lil box I made then cuz that FG is stuck on it....itd take my jigsaw and ALOT of sanding to get all the current FG off to apply fleece...:crap: well sheeeet....I guess...walmart here i come...
even if you had a big bad da sander it would take you 4 hours to even make it look half arsed just do the fleece

negativezeroz
10-13-2005, 03:46 PM
even if you had a big bad da sander it would take you 4 hours to even make it look half arsed just do the fleece

ok ok ok...I freakin get it...problem...low on cash so Im hoping I have enough wood left over...only got $12 and MDF =20 plus fleece so yeah...hoping so...I get money all weekend tho gettin raped at work tomorrow - tues and new job interview tomorrow

audiolife
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
wal mart closeout fleeces 1-2 dollars a yard

negativezeroz
10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
wal mart closeout fleeces 1-2 dollars a yard

:pissed: :mad: I was just there and got 2yrds for ~$11.....**** it! I wish my Walmart had that or I just didnt notice it...:crap:

might have pics later of the fleece and everything gotta eat soon so wont start til after dinner..

negativezeroz
10-15-2005, 02:08 PM
fleece is teh pimp :) pics soon...

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok, so this doesn't look amazing but better than the mat did. Problem now. I "started" sanding then realized what the hell do I do with the FG that has a lil hang over part on the sides. I didn't wrap the fleece around entire box so yeah..pics you can understand. Do I just sand the edges/over hangs down and then carpet the rest or wat? Thanks.

And, no I havent begun to cut out the cutout for sub. I get to borrow my uncles belt sander tomorrow tho! :)

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/7945/img01203ul.th.jpg (http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01203ul.jpg)
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2364/img01210zp.th.jpg (http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01210zp.jpg)
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/8048/img01227pc.th.jpg (http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01227pc.jpg)

audiolife
10-23-2005, 06:45 PM
will save you alot of time dont forget to glass the inside

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 06:48 PM
will save you alot of time dont forget to glass the inside

Like walls of the enclosure or underneath those layers? :crap: now i have to go buy more resin and $0.94 paintbrushes

audiolife
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
why use paint brushes ? dump it in and roll it around

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
the inside walls or underneath the layers of FG already? Cuz I resined the inside walls before I did the front FG

audiolife
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
the fleece will absorb/adhere it no biggie at all

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 08:29 PM
the fleece will absorb/adhere it no biggie at all

so still no answer to where to put the resin...and what about carpet? since the "overhang" part?

what I have done....

resined all inside walls and FG'ed the front

just got sander so tomorrow will sand and cut out the cutout... then...prime this week

req
10-23-2005, 08:33 PM
you are supposed to cut the excess fleece off before you start to lay glass

and is it just me, or is that fiberglass SUPER ****ing thick!?

audiolife
10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
if you glassed it good you can take those edges right off with a da if u already glassed the inside (impossible to do since by ur pics the hole isnt cut out lol) then just sand

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
you are supposed to cut the excess fleece off before you start to lay glass

and is it just me, or is that fiberglass SUPER ****ing thick!?

:uhoh: 3layers..or so...lol...its strong enuf for the lil hed10

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2378/img01241pz.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01241pz.jpg)
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7627/img01255xe.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img01255xe.jpg)

its so little lol its a great dustcollector..

req
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
it looks like you are using fleece insead of fiberglass. the stuff you are using looks REALLY REALLY THICK, or your resin is REALLY REALLY thick. i dont know man. your supposed to chop the extra fleece off BEFORE you resin it though. i thought taht was obvious...

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 09:07 PM
it looks like you are using fleece insead of fiberglass. the stuff you are using looks REALLY REALLY THICK, or your resin is REALLY REALLY thick. i dont know man. your supposed to chop the extra fleece off BEFORE you resin it though. i thought taht was obvious...

yes..I know..:blush: lol I was in a hurry so i will just sand it off tomorrow...thats why its my first "fg attempt" ;)

req
10-23-2005, 09:09 PM
lol

it shouldnt be this hard lol

if i was near ya id show you what you need to know :P

but OK is a bit far from NY lol

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 09:11 PM
lol

it shouldnt be this hard lol

if i was near ya id show you what you need to know :P

but OK is a bit far from NY lol
im a loser..lol well my NEXT fg for my new 12" (whenever JBL decides to release them) will be alot better..

wat should i do to correct my early mistakes on the overhang/excess fleece

NhustlaR
10-23-2005, 09:29 PM
req you can come show me ;) haha just give me some motivation to get my pannels bondo'd primed and painted. if it were for someone else they would have been done months ago and prolly looked a lot better ;-/ haha

and yeah that "resin" looks weird as all hell. and -zero, i would read the sticky about the kick pannels. that will help you a lot. it seems like you are all over the place. just some constructive criticizm

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 10:13 PM
:bawling:

ruckus
10-23-2005, 10:16 PM
use an old tshirt ;)

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 10:20 PM
that was a long time ago lol just got fleece instead..

ruckus
10-23-2005, 10:20 PM
yes..I know..:blush: lol I was in a hurry so i will just sand it off tomorrow...thats why its my first "fg attempt" ;)
**** dude thats no excuse.

my first fiberglass attempt.

http://dillusionz.com/gallery/fiberglassbox

If you read up and took your time you wouldnt have 6 pages of what you did wrong.

and that tshirt piece was put in for future reference for the search people.

negativezeroz
10-23-2005, 10:43 PM
well im sorry Mr. High and Mighty...I will be fixing it tomorrow so pics tomorrow most likely...then just carpet...i was gonna paint but idnk now

ruckus
10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
well im sorry Mr. High and Mighty...

:bowdown: :imdama: :angel:

ramos
10-24-2005, 08:47 AM
wat should i do to correct my early mistakes on the overhang/excess fleece

Take a grinder, or a small cut off wheel to the edges. Makes quick work of excess glass. :)

negativezeroz
10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
thanks...gotta get some new 'paper today then sanding and get rid of excess glass...so yeah pics later tonight