PDA

View Full Version : Remote start+5 speed

baggedmazda
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I have heard it can be done and heard it can't but realy what is the real answer i always have my car out of gear just wana know for my upcoming alarm purchase,

I got a old code alarm i will use if i can't use remote start or i will buy a new one

Alpineinstaller
10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
your insurance will not cover yoiu if you have a remote start on your car. It can be done. you have to cut the clutch safety cable so that the car will start.

brad
10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I seriously WOULDN'T recommend rem. start on a stick.
Too many things could go wrong that wouldn't be covered by your insurance; but yes, it is possible.

ramos
10-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Possible = yes, hard to do = no, safe and intelligent = NO Don't do it my brother seen it done and the results that come from the one time you forget to leave your car out of gear. :)

Justin89T
10-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah its dangerious, but its also very easy.

I ALWAYS turbo time my car when I get out, so its never in gear when i start it. Even if I have the SLIGHTEST doubt I ddin't leave it in neutral/turbo time it I won't start it

95Eclipse
10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Possible = yes, hard to do = no, safe and intelligent = NO Don't do it my brother seen it done and the results that come from the one time you forget to leave your car out of gear. :)
2 brands that WILL do it safely...
1 : Compustar
2 : AstroStart

FoxPro5
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Perfectly safe. Have one on mine and it's impossible to start the car in gear!! Professionaly installed Compustar 2WSS. A dyi job sounds a little riskey though:cool:

ramos
10-12-2005, 01:51 PM
2 brands that WILL do it safely...
1 : Compustar
2 : AstroStart

Clifford used to make one as well. I have also seen plans for a conventional remote start system with a series of reed switches to convert to a "safe" manual autostart. Dude didn't say anything about buying a new system, but rather use the codealarm he allready has. That's why I said don't :)

93 saturn sl2
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Perfectly safe. Have one on mine and it's impossible to start the car in gear!! Professionaly installed Compustar 2WSS. A dyi job sounds a little riskey though:cool:

Is this the one that you have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUSTAR-2WSS-AS-2-WAY-ALARM-REMOTE-START-AUTO-NEW_W0QQitemZ5818080803QQcategoryZ94832QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ramos
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Straight from every compustar owners manual ( I have 4 models in stock looked through them all ) in the safety precautions. And I quote

3. For manual transmission vehicles
If the CompuStar system is installed in a manual transmission vehicle, extra
precautions are required because the CompuStar does not monitor the gear shifter

So what makes it safe for manual transmissions ?? Just because the company says so ?? My shop will not install a remote start on a manual transmission equipped vehicle for liability reasons. :)

ramos
10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Allrighty just checked out the astrostart, same thing . While they both say they are compatable with vehicles euipped with manual transmission. THe only safety feature either offers is the e-brake switch. Which is a common feature among other systems as well. He!! in dash monitors have the same thing so dumba$$es don't watch tv while they drive. Once again I am back to asking. What makes these any safer ???? :)

brad
10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Is this the one that you have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUSTAR-2WSS-AS-2-WAY-ALARM-REMOTE-START-AUTO-NEW_W0QQitemZ5818080803QQcategoryZ94832QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Woah!! That cost more than my viper 791xv. I got mine for $215

Eugenics
10-12-2005, 03:21 PM
its all fun and games till a grease monkey leaves it in gear and someone goes to start it

Dj Perico
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Im about to get my done soon. Theres a guy in greensboro nc that does them. You got to sign a waiver before he do the work. I was thinking of getting the compustar one.

chris96camaro
10-12-2005, 05:42 PM
i wouldnt recommend it...me and my dad made my car so that it will start without the clutch being pressed in...and i was going to do remote start, but too many people said it was way too dangerous..

95Eclipse
10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Allrighty just checked out the astrostart, same thing . While they both say they are compatable with vehicles euipped with manual transmission. THe only safety feature either offers is the e-brake switch. Which is a common feature among other systems as well. He!! in dash monitors have the same thing so dumba$$es don't watch tv while they drive. Once again I am back to asking. What makes these any safer ???? :)
it's because the systems keep your car running as a Turbo timer would, once you open, then shut your door, it locks, and shuts down the car, if at any time, the alarm goes off, or unlocked... or sees any type of tampering, it WILL NOT REMOTE START...
now your right, what does make them safer, really nothing, but it is kinda foolproof for some people, some people may not want to take the risk... me personally, I've been an installer for 5 years now, and those 2 systems, the compustar, and astrostart are the only 2 I would trust...

ngsm13
10-12-2005, 11:38 PM
it's because the systems keep your car running as a Turbo timer would, once you open, then shut your door, it locks, and shuts down the car, if at any time, the alarm goes off, or unlocked... or sees any type of tampering, it WILL NOT REMOTE START...
now your right, what does make them safer, really nothing, but it is kinda foolproof for some people, some people may not want to take the risk... me personally, I've been an installer for 5 years now, and those 2 systems, the compustar, and astrostart are the only 2 I would trust...

Where do you install in Cincy?

NG

ramos
10-13-2005, 08:13 AM

As do about 99% of other systems as well. What I am saying is this, they ( compustart, and astrostart) both say they are manual trans compatable. Yet there is no monitoring of the shifter. I.E. both will attempt a start while in gear If jobo the clown leaves the car in gear. I'm not worried about it starting or not starting while being , or having been tampered with. My shop sell compustart as well. I'm gonna nail down the rep next time he comes in. I want to hear it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I'm not trying to start a war. I would really like to know what makes them any safer. :)

ramos
10-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Im about to get my done soon. Theres a guy in greensboro nc that does them. You got to sign a waiver before he do the work. I was thinking of getting the compustar one.

Local laws hear can still hold the installer and place of employment liable with or without a release form. :)

95Eclipse
10-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Where do you install in Cincy?

NG
Used to be @ Stereo On wheels, now @ Circuit in Eastgate

95Eclipse
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
As do about 99% of other systems as well. What I am saying is this, they ( compustart, and astrostart) both say they are manual trans compatable. Yet there is no monitoring of the shifter. I.E. both will attempt a start while in gear If jobo the clown leaves the car in gear. I'm not worried about it starting or not starting while being , or having been tampered with. My shop sell compustart as well. I'm gonna nail down the rep next time he comes in. I want to hear it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I'm not trying to start a war. I would really like to know what makes them any safer. :)
I would too, lemme know what he says... whos the rep?? I might know him... depending on who it is. is it John Cosmos?

BulldogSr04
10-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Haha, ask Casey (Kickinaudio) about this topic. I think he might tell you its a bad idea.

ramos
10-14-2005, 08:14 AM
I would too, lemme know what he says... whos the rep?? I might know him... depending on who it is. is it John Cosmos?

I do believe his first name is John, I have only met him once. My partner does most of the smoozing :D He has the business brain. I have the installer brain :)

bikejunkie223
10-14-2005, 09:32 AM
If you do remote start your manual trans car, please stay out of Oregon, because the one time you leave it in gear and start it, and it jumps I'm sure with my luck it will jump into the front or back of my car. Then I'd have to remotely kick your ***. Bad idea dude.

95Eclipse
10-14-2005, 10:09 PM
If you do remote start your manual trans car, please stay out of Oregon, because the one time you leave it in gear and start it, and it jumps I'm sure with my luck it will jump into the front or back of my car. Then I'd have to remotely kick your ***. Bad idea dude.
that is why compustar and astrostart are good, they're idiot proof, so u can't leave it in gear