PDA

View Full Version : Ology Audio Component Set Review

Decado
10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I have recently bought a set of OlogyAudio's component set/crossovers and I'm going to write a review for them. I bought the all Dayton RS set with the RS tweeters and the 6" midwoofers. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare them to but my Sony 5.25" and 6"x9" coaxials, but I will try to review them as good as possible. Also, I will update this sometime next week when my door is completely sealed up and deadened.

Ok, to start out with, this set cost me $330 dollars before shipping; $180 for the crossovers and $150 for the drivers. I have this all powered up by a MTX Thunder 564 75wx4 @ 4 ohms amp, each driver to it's own channel (tweeters on the front channels and mids on the rear, with the HU faded to 0) each tweeter final ohm load of 4 and each mid final ohm load of 6 btw. I have the mid's in the door's, both sides are off axis, the left a bit more off axis than the right.

I have the tweeters pretty much dead on for imaging (I may tweak a bit here and there but that takes time). Now I want to start off by saying that these tweeters are amazing, they are extremely detailed and soft (not harsh) but they still get nice and loud, kind of hard to explain but definitely amazing. Definitely a step up from my Sony's (which had some extremely harsh and undetailed hissy tweeters that left my ears hurting).

Second, the midwoofers, and i'm going to start with the midbass on them. At first when i had these in they were really leaving something to be desired, but then i went and bought some non hardening modeling clay and sealed it up around the wood baffle and other small holes close to the woofer and the difference that this made was night and day. The midbass is quite good (definitely better than my sony 6x9's) and I'm sure it will be much better once I have my door completely sealed off and deadened (I have some large holes in the door), I will give you guys an update on the sound once this is done sometime next week. Secondly, I will talk about the midranges. This was really quite jaw dropping, I put in a celtic harp cd (if anyone wants something for some nice sq testing get a hold of some celtic harp stuff) and it sounded amazing, aside from the tweeters (which are obviously great) the midranges are quite powerful and very detailed. I want to add a note that I could feel the resonance in my feet at the dead pedal, which shows how powerful the midranges on these are (definitely in a good way).

All around this set is an amazing thing to listen to (I know I'm not saying anything but amazing but that is definitely what it is), there is good powerful midbass (which will be better when i seal and deaden, and i will get an update to you all), detailed and powerful midranges, and extremely detailed tweeters. I know all i'm able to compare these to are my Sony's (which btw, i couldnt even really hear the 5.25's of those :laugh: ), but I guess you'll have to take my word on how great these sound.

I also want to add that Dylan (ology) is a great guy, very helpful and easy to deal with, and he helped me through every question I had.

**I WILL GET AN UPDATE ON HERE ONCE I SEAL OFF AND DEADEN MY DOORS, AND ALSO IF I GET TO HEAR SOME OTHER COMPONENT SETS TO COMPARE THIS SET TO**
If anyone around Minneapolis wants to hear this component set and has some components for me to listen to and compare that would be great.

OlogyAudio
10-11-2005, 01:47 AM
I have recently bought a set of OlogyAudio's component set/crossovers and I'm going to write a review for them. I bought the all Dayton RS set with the RS tweeters and the 6" midwoofers. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare them to but my Sony 5.25" and 6"x9" coaxials, but I will try to review them as good as possible. Also, I will update this sometime next week when my door is completely sealed up and deadened.

Ok, to start out with, this set cost me $330 dollars before shipping; $180 for the crossovers and $150 for the drivers. I have this all powered up by a MTX Thunder 564 75wx4 @ 4 ohms amp, each driver to it's own channel (tweeters on the front channels and mids on the rear, with the HU faded to 0) each tweeter final ohm load of 4 and each mid final ohm load of 6 btw. I have the mid's in the door's, both sides are off axis, the left a bit more off axis than the right.

I have the tweeters pretty much dead on for imaging (I may tweak a bit here and there but that takes time). Now I want to start off by saying that these tweeters are amazing, they are extremely detailed and soft (not harsh) but they still get nice and loud, kind of hard to explain but definitely amazing. Definitely a step up from my Sony's (which had some extremely harsh and undetailed hissy tweeters that left my ears hurting).

Second, the midwoofers, and i'm going to start with the midbass on them. At first when i had these in they were really leaving something to be desired, but then i went and bought some non hardening modeling clay and sealed it up around the wood baffle and other small holes close to the woofer and the difference that this made was night and day. The midbass is quite good (definitely better than my sony 6x9's) and I'm sure it will be much better once I have my door completely sealed off and deadened (I have some large holes in the door), I will give you guys an update on the sound once this is done sometime next week. Secondly, I will talk about the midranges. This was really quite jaw dropping, I put in a celtic harp cd (if anyone wants something for some nice sq testing get a hold of some celtic harp stuff) and it sounded amazing, aside from the tweeters (which are obviously great) the midranges are quite powerful and very detailed. I want to add a note that I could feel the resonance in my feet at the dead pedal, which shows how powerful the midranges on these are (definitely in a good way).

All around this set is an amazing thing to listen to (I know I'm not saying anything but amazing but that is definitely what it is), there is good powerful midbass (which will be better when i seal and deaden, and i will get an update to you all), detailed and powerful midranges, and extremely detailed tweeters. I know all i'm able to compare these to are my Sony's (which btw, i couldnt even really hear the 5.25's of those :laugh: ), but I guess you'll have to take my word on how great these sound.

I also want to add that Dylan (ology) is a great guy, very helpful and easy to deal with, and he helped me through every question I had.

**I WILL GET AN UPDATE ON HERE ONCE I SEAL OFF AND DEADEN MY DOORS, AND ALSO IF I GET TO HEAR SOME OTHER COMPONENT SETS TO COMPARE THIS SET TO**
If anyone around Minneapolis wants to hear this component set and has some components for me to listen to and compare that would be great.

Taking over the car audio component world -- one car at a time :) – PS I saw the Dayton RS midrange domes – and new car versions of the mids… and left the camera in the car… I bet you are all going to kick my butt… Good news is it won’t be that long :)

strong*I*bumpin
10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Too bad that tweet is to big for where I want to put it.Can any other tweets be used wit this set?

UndercoverPunk
10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I Want Pics!!!!

Loud3
10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah, what he said.

OlogyAudio
10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Too bad that tweet is to big for where I want to put it.Can any other tweets be used wit this set?

Well there are smaller tweeter -- just be prepared to shell out the $$$ for something of comperable quality (and robust enough to mate with the RS drivers) in a small format... :)

There are some small ones that are cheap though that aren't quite as good but still nice...

I want pics too :) -- possibly when you seal up your doors???

Decado
10-11-2005, 01:32 PM

I put my tweets in the kickpanel, attached them to it with some aluminum bar stock, works great, pretty sturdy, but a lil ugly although I don't really care. I may do something a lil more to it, like painting the aluminum or something sometime down the line. As for pics, I don't have a camera to use, but i'll try and borrow one from somebody, I'll try to get pics once it's all deadened and sealed.

Eugenics
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
sweeeeeet, glad to hear the good news ;)

twoohfour
10-13-2005, 01:03 AM
ahhh dayton 4 ohm drivers ... wonderful!

FoxPro5
10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Where in the cities are you exactly? I've contacted Dylan about his advice on equipment but it is hard to buy it if I haven't heard it. Nonetheless I am still interested in his work and would like a live sample....

Let me know,
John

OlogyAudio
10-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Where in the cities are you exactly? I've contacted Dylan about his advice on equipment but it is hard to buy it if I haven't heard it. Nonetheless I am still interested in his work and would like a live sample....

Let me know,
John
*shrug* you can always return them... (or sell the debucked drivers to someone else)

Decado
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Let me know,
John

I live in crystal. What speakers do you have in your car, anything that i can compare these to?

UndercoverPunk
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
So.... how bout some pics

FoxPro5
10-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I live in crystal. What speakers do you have in your car, anything that i can compare these to?

Right now - MB Quart Premiums with 200 watts RMS on each. I *should* have a set of Boston Pro60's here shortly (hope and pray!!). So that would give you at least a few to compare to. I also need to do more deadening - just got a gallon of sludge and some overkill for the front doors so that should help the midbass a lot. Plus I haven't properly sealed the door either. A little more work for both of us and we will have some data for Ology to chew on :D

Decado
10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Right now - MB Quart Premiums with 200 watts RMS on each. I *should* have a set of Boston Pro60's here shortly (hope and pray!!). So that would give you at least a few to compare to. I also need to do more deadening - just got a gallon of sludge and some overkill for the front doors so that should help the midbass a lot. Plus I haven't properly sealed the door either. A little more work for both of us and we will have some data for Ology to chew on :D

Ya i have to get mine deadened up and sealed, SS Damplifier should be here next wednesday, so i will probably do it next weekend.

Decado
10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
So.... how bout some pics

Lol, dammit, I told you I would TRY to get pics when it is deadened, so just hold on, haha.

FoxPro5
10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Lol, dammit, I told you I would TRY to get pics when it is deadened, so just hold on, haha.

Got any pics :naughty: Just kidding. Yea when we both get our doors done we will have to meet up. I might be able to finish mine this weekend.

///M5
10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
In a week or so, my install should be done for a third comparison as well. It is easy for me to make it Crystal or wherever....

Decado
10-21-2005, 01:47 PM
In a week or so, my install should be done for a third comparison as well. It is easy for me to make it Crystal or wherever....

Where you at?

///M5
10-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Less than 8 miles West of Crystal. :D

Decado
10-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Less than 8 miles West of Crystal. :D

Plymouth? Maple Grove?

Intercooler
10-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Any pics?

///M5
10-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Plymouth

Decado
10-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Any pics?

As for pics, I don't have a camera to use, but i'll try and borrow one from somebody, I'll try to get pics once it's all deadened and sealed.
;)

Decado
10-31-2005, 02:01 AM
***UPDATE***

Well for some reason I cant edit my original post, so here it is, pics and all.

Dayton RS 6" Mid
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/PA290043.jpg

Dayton RS Tweeter
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/PA290045.jpg
Ya, I know, I still have to paint the aluminum.

Deadened and Sealed Door
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/PA290047.jpg

Right Door Closed
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/PA290048.jpg

Left Door Closed
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/PA290050.jpg

Now for the review:

First, I want to start with the midbass, there was a huge improvement in the midbass when i sealed and deadened, there is definitely a great deal of it now. They have some very good kick on songs with alot of drums, and very smooth midbass on songs with other kinds of bass. And let me tell you, these things can really move, I'll try to get a video of them.

Second, I want to say that all around the music sounds more complete. The mids are definitely clearer, and even more powerful (guitars sound great). But all around it just sounds more complete.

For a conclusion, this set sounds amazing, they get very loud without distortion and they have incredible detail and clarity. These are by far the best speakers I've ever heard, home or car audio.

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 02:14 AM
nice tweet mounts ;)

bimma85
10-31-2005, 02:19 AM
looking good.
Thats pretty nuts mang, I was just gonna bump this up to see if you had gotten any pics :)

Decado
10-31-2005, 02:20 AM
nice tweet mounts ;)

Ohh ya ;). Wish I coulda put em in the door though, there was just nowhere to do it.

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 02:26 AM
dash?

Decado
10-31-2005, 02:36 AM
dash?

I have absolutely no idea how in the hell I would ever get them to work out in the dash in my car, basically, it would look like **** though, :crap:. Don't even really have enough non-airbag dash space on the right side for them.

3.5Max6spd
10-31-2005, 08:37 AM
where are the xovers? pics? Since that the only thing 'Ology' in that set..

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 10:51 AM
their the prettiest xovers you ever saw

chinny
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
holy ugly tweet mounts

squeak9798
10-31-2005, 10:59 AM
their

[they're]

And I haven't seen them, so how are we to know ;)

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 11:06 AM
[they're]

[damnit]

i was being very sarcastic

chinny
10-31-2005, 11:07 AM
[they're]

OH SNAP! :laugh:

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
OH SNAP! :laugh:

hush:blush:

chinny
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
hush:blush:

:crap:

zfactor
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
lets see them x-overs im interested now.....

FoxPro5
10-31-2005, 04:02 PM
[them]

those;) ....since we're all english teachers here...:rolleyes:

bump for x-over pics:naughty:

Decado
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I have to pull out my whole backseat and **** for the xovers, not happening right now, lol. So this pic should do for now, they look exactly the same. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/xoverinputoutput.jpg

azazel
10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Oh man, ****.

zfactor
10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
WHAT???? those are what people are paying 190 $ extra for over the cost of the components..... thats nuts sorry to offend anyone but i made stuff like that when i was in middle school learning from my dad and others..... they look .... well i would not use them not even based on a good circuit board that looks like balsa wood or something.. sorry again dont mean to offend but never would i pay that much for those. i read his post about costs going up looks like going down to me....

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 06:58 PM
WHAT???? those are what people are paying 190 $ extra for over the cost of the components..... thats nuts sorry to offend anyone but i made stuff like that when i was in middle school learning from my dad and others..... they look .... well i would not use them not even based on a good circuit board that looks like balsa wood or something.. sorry again dont mean to offend but never would i pay that much for those. i read his post about costs going up looks like going down to me....

im sure you were making xovers in middle school... :rolleyes:

zfactor
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
actually yes i was my dad was a engineer and actually used to make his own amplifiers and crossovers etc..., and sorry but those are ridiculous show me where those cost 190$$ id like to know.

Johnny Drama
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.carstereo.com/images/installs/ACF377F%2Ejpg

JimJ
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Mount them in a Radioshack plastic project box and seal it if you're concerned about weatherproofing. If they're going in a home speaker, mount that sucker in the box and go.

The real bear of Xovers isn't the construction, it's the design.

squeak9798
10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
While I know most of what Ology charges is due to the design itself, I sorta have to agree with zfactor. For almost $200, I'd expect something a little more cosmetically appealing and more of a "manufactured"/not thrown together in the garage appearance. Some PC board, maybe a cheap little project box to hold them with some barrier strips for connections.

I'm sure they are well designed and perform fantastic, however. Not knocking his design skills at all, which is what's really important with passive crossovers. I would have just put a little more effort into the design of the final product construction for something you are "retailing" like that.

zfactor
10-31-2005, 07:09 PM
as i said not knocking the sound i have not heard the x-overs for myself. but for the price of those thats way overpriced in my opinion.... i could buy those parts and assemble them on a board in a box for way less than almost 200$

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
as i said not knocking the sound i have not heard the x-overs for myself. but for the price of those thats way overpriced in my opinion.... i could buy those parts and assemble them on a board in a box for way less than almost 200$

alright, put your money where your mouth is. go design some and put them up against ologys since you know so much and can do it so cheaply

bimma85
10-31-2005, 07:14 PM
alright, put your money where your mouth is. go design some and put them up against ologys since you know so much and can do it so cheaply
x2, lets see some of the amps as well :)
pics or :ban:
:D
Its not the look of the xovers that is stopping my purchase... its the size of the tweets :(

zfactor
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
guys i am a former ibm tech i have worked on circuit boards for years. #1 my dad has since passed on and i personally never myself built my own amps i have helped him. x-overs are a whole different ball game. #2 anyone with a computer can design a great x-over hands down. there are hundreds of programs anyone with no skill can use. they tell you what to put where. i have been making my own home crossovers for years. i have sold many of them to clients of mine. i have designed many home cabinets fron trans lines to voight pipes etc... and always made my own crossovers.

listen as i said i have not heard them. i am not saying they sound bad, i am saying they are very cheaply constructed and to me they are far from worth what he is asking. he says the cost of parts went up.... where. did the price of wood go up??? those x-overs can be re-made for way less than the asking price. thats what i am saying. nothing more. i would love to hear a set and auditon them to hear how they actually sound, but come on charge a more fair price for something that can be made for less or put a little time into them and just finish them a little nicer is all i am saying.

OlogyAudio
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM

Yep -- you sure could... If you are handy you can build them yourself, get the design for pretty **** cheap which includes some support if you need it... and end up building a set of xovers for ~$100 (someone did this and it came out to about 100...) anyways... think about the time I put into this -- and all the support I give people about other things than just the xovers ;) and advice -- put a system together for many a people... and it does take a bit of time to assemble :) -- PS... it took me a month of tweaking to get the design where it currently is...

Don't worry -- eventually everything will be mass produced... custom... in china... will still be quite competitive in price and look like... well all the other high quality xovers out there :) -- but were just now starting to get into custom drivers -- which is the priority if you ask me...

bimma85
10-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Yep -- you sure could... If you are handy you can build them yourself, get the design for pretty **** cheap which includes some support if you need it... and end up building a set of xovers for ~$100 (someone did this and it came out to about 100...) anyways... think about the time I put into this -- and all the support I give people about other things than just the xovers ;) and advice -- put a system together for many a people... and it does take a bit of time to assemble :) -- PS... it took me a month of tweaking to get the design where it currently is...

Don't worry -- eventually everything will be mass produced... custom... in china... will still be quite competitive in price and look like... well all the other high quality xovers out there :) -- but were just now starting to get into custom drivers -- which is the priority if you ask me...
I can definately vouche for the customer service... and I haven't even purchased anything from him :D.

zfactor
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
again matthew i was not denying the sound of them, i just figure for that price i was expecting much more from them. thats all. and i dont disagree with your time i made circuit boards for years at ibm. i understand that...and it appears you are using high grade caps and coils in them. i wish you luck and hope to see a finalized product sometime soon.

Robertw813
10-31-2005, 07:36 PM
My truck could be assembled for much less than what I paid for it, but hell if I can design the whole thing. :) Same thing, just on a smaller scale.

Bake
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know why yall are giving Z s**** for what he said. He is right. For 200 bones I would expect some sort of finished product. I am not saying anything about the sound, but ****, chipboard and balsa. and not even cut straight. That is mediocre at best.

OlogyAudio
10-31-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't know why yall are giving Z s**** for what he said. He is right. For 200 bones I would expect some sort of finished product. I am not saying anything about the sound, but ****, chipboard and balsa. and not even cut straight. That is mediocre at best.
Yea the chipboard is oldschool ;) lol

Anyways its on some very thin plywood not balsa -- and they aren't cut that bad -- they are laying sideways in the other pic.

I was going after soundquality as the priority with these -- if you add up all the time involved here you will realize I'm not just trying to rip people off thats for sure... I mean look at the parts quality rainbow uses even for example at this pricepoint... They use wood too IIRC ;) just encapsulated in a little box.

Decado
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Who cares how they look though anyways, just make a box to put em in and there ya go. They may not look great but the quality is great, they are pretty **** solid, definitely not comin apart or anything.

White Ram
10-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Its ALWAYS much easier to REVERSE engineer a sucessful/proven product and do it cheaper to.

OlogyAudio
11-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Its ALWAYS much easier to REVERSE engineer a sucessful/proven product and do it cheaper to.

Stealing is wrong :P and there are better things to reverse engineer if you wanna make money :)

3.5Max6spd
11-01-2005, 07:21 AM
For the asking price , I dont see why those cant be thrown into a plastic case say the least at no additional cost..... It appears to 'pretty them up' he insist on more $

Again I'd personally rather invest $200 in my hard earned money into the ability to run active if you currrently dont have it and you wana play with DIY. Whether be a quality analog xover, another pair of amplified channels or a simple upgrade on a HU.
I dont see why some of you would be scared to run active. You tune to your ears to your liking, and its not hard to see on a graph the usable range of a driver. And you have better flexibility soundwise to pull your oem locations together better than a fixed passive will allow. I dont know too many people that have went the active route, go back to passive. Once you have the flexibility you can run ANY combination of speakers you'd like.

Ignatowski
11-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I agree,if the crossovers didnt look like they were made in the year 1945 I would consider a set....... I am sure the Ology fella can do better with all his electronics know how.

bikejunkie223
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
How dare you smack almighty Ology! Where's Eugenics at? He'll be along to bash you shortly I'm sure. I agree with the whole "for 200 bucks it ought to at least look nice" take, hell even if they were shrink wrapped like the low end DLS they would look way better than they do, but then, my pretty Dls crossovers live behind door panels, so who gives a **** what they look like.Hmmm...insert argument here......

Eugenics
11-01-2005, 11:28 AM
How dare you smack almighty Ology! Where's Eugenics at? He'll be along to bash you shortly I'm sure. I agree with the whole "for 200 bucks it ought to at least look nice" take, hell even if they were shrink wrapped like the low end DLS they would look way better than they do, but then, my pretty Dls crossovers live behind door panels, so who gives a **** what they look like.Hmmm...insert argument here......

you missed it jackass

one page back:naughty:

OlogyAudio
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Haha I guess I could shrink wrap them in some black plastic type thing wasn't rly thinking along those lines... Nice little cases though... unless someone can find me a good cheap source for a nice sized project box (these xovers ARE large...) where I dont have to buy more than 1000 of them to get a reasonable price... won't be happening for a little while.

Something like this would work... but rly not look that great ethr...:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=320-718

But theres another ~$20 on parts costs -- with perfboards to go with those project boxes...

As for barrier strips... they are pretty cheap -- would only raise parts costs ~$10 for a set... ~6 in any kind of quantity -- a lot less @ 1000+ quantity

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-844

A few ways I could imagine keeping prices the same:

Use lower quality xover components... needing a smaller project box... don't be concerned about placement of inductors and allow inductive coupling just like everyone else does and manage to fit everything into a nice little box... (quite frankly unacceptable to me)

Order 1000+ quantity from china... It would cost more but I wouldn't have to do much more work and I could justify making less money because I didn't have to waste ~ 4 hours of my life assembling them :)

I'd love to get input of ideas to make things look better and keep costs down enough that I don't have to rly raise prices.

As you can see there is an available option with little boxes and barrier strips that only adds about $30 in parts costs that you can do yourself... or just have me put it together like that... ethr way works -- it is custom afterall ;) -- you could get a nice hardwood box with gold binding posts made if you rly wanted...

swc204
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
i don't know what Plexiglas cost but buy a sheet of that and play around making a perfect box for your crossovers.......maybe have a little contest and have people send in there boxes and you give a decent discount on the component set of there choice to the person that wins

OlogyAudio
11-01-2005, 01:48 PM
For the asking price , I dont see why those cant be thrown into a plastic case say the least at no additional cost..... It appears to 'pretty them up' he insist on more $

Again I'd personally rather invest $200 in my hard earned money into the ability to run active if you currrently dont have it and you wana play with DIY. Whether be a quality analog xover, another pair of amplified channels or a simple upgrade on a HU.
I dont see why some of you would be scared to run active. You tune to your ears to your liking, and its not hard to see on a graph the usable range of a driver. And you have better flexibility soundwise to pull your oem locations together better than a fixed passive will allow. I dont know too many people that have went the active route, go back to passive. Once you have the flexibility you can run ANY combination of speakers you'd like.

Yea... It is kinda hard to forget what new is like :)

Anyways there are defiantly benefits to going active... just not at the $200 pricepoint. The RS drivers are a prime example of something that is a PITA to setup properly active... lots of things to keep in mind, they need to be xovered in the 1.8khz area and not with a standard Q transfer function... if you don't tailor the tweeter's response just outside the useable range the tweeter will... crap out to say the least... You will be OK going as high as 2.2k 4th order but thn you get more energy storage and a little more ringing of the midbass. If you have a nice head unit or DSP you can time align via active routes which is awesome -- Can't beat that via passive without a big mess of allpass filters... I spent a month trying to tweak these so that they would be very install friendly so that there would only be a few possible Z offsets that they wouldn't work well in and they would be very small ranges... Even if you did get stuck with this install you would only have a few dB (less than 4) of ripple right at the xover point... I also tailored the power response to be... even as hell. The midbass at my feet for example is about 70-80 degrees off axis -- can't remember exactly, and the tweeter is about 30 degrees off -- the passenger midwoofer is about 40 degrees off axis and the tweeter is between 20-30 or so... balance set to 0, it images properly... the left tweeter is about 1.5dB higher in level than the right tweeter just above the xover point... but it is very minor and could have been corrected for with better placement...

Anywhere between this install and dead on axis... you are going to be pretty much +-3dB or better no matter what you do (except possibly some strange diffraction effects if your doors are nutty or you just hot glue in the tweeters like I did... lol)... and if you take care to install proplerly you can be better than +-1dB...

Granted if you go active with a good EQ and know what you are doing you can beat this for sure, hands down... Just that is scary to a lot of people.

I'm just trying to make a little money so I can implement some ideas I have for near infinite thermal power handling -- high efficiency drivers :D

Needless to say... these component sets are just a step along the way that a poor college student has to make before he can afford to partake in the fun stuff of building a new motor technology...

mega1268
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok i can vouch for going the active way. I currently have The dayton RS tweet and the RS driver. I Blew up my tweets IN less then a week cause of my mistake of crossing the tweets to low. BUt if you cross it to high you do get a beaming sound from the mids that sound nooooooo good. But o well. Buy his crossovers. lol

zfactor
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
dylan get me a parts list if you can i have some sources from overseas...i may be able to help you with parts orders.... email me [email protected] and ill get back with you get me a number to contact you if you can. depending on how many of each thing your gonna need i can get some pretty good prices on these kinda of parts. caps, coils resistors included. again i wasnt knocking them as i havent heard them but let me know always love to help other audio guys out.

bikejunkie223
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
you missed it jackass

one page back:naughty:
I just love jerking with you, guardian of Ology. and yes, I am a jackass

Eugenics
11-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I just love jerking with you, guardian of Ology. and yes, I am a jackass

and i love being jerked sweat pea

bikejunkie223
11-01-2005, 08:35 PM
You're welcome, cupcake.

bimma85
11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
You guy are retarded... if you want it to look nice... do it yourself. Unless you wanna pay 2x for the labor and cost of the case... so why not do it yourself. You dont think you pay a good chunck of change just for the housing of your "pretty xovers" :rolleyes:

dru
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
if you rly wanted...
sorry after seeing this i couldnt help it

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/rry.jpg

o rry?

btw ology, around xmas time ill be contacting you for business :)