PDA

View Full Version : New mids set up

JettaGLI
10-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I want to re-do my mids in my car. I have a 350/4 JL amp to work with.

I am going to get q logic kicks and reinforce them w/fiberglass.

The q kicks only hold upto a 5 1/4" speaker for my car.

I really like the 3 way xr set JL has, 2- 4", 2- 6.5" and 2- 1" tweets, however, that runs on only 2 channels, leaving 150 watt of my amp unused.

Anything I am missing here to possibly make this work with my what I have?

squeak9798
10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Sure.

Just bridge 2 channels of the amp to each side. Or, only use 2 channels of a 4 channel amplifier and live with it.

Put the midbass in the doors, midrange and tweets in the kickpanels.

JettaGLI
10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Sure.

Just bridge 2 channels of the amp to each side. Or, only use 2 channels of a 4 channel amplifier and live with it.

Put the midbass in the doors, midrange and tweets in the kickpanels.

So I would have to use y connectors and connect the left rca off the deck to one set of channels and the right rca off the deck to the other... and then level match them?

JettaGLI
10-10-2005, 10:40 PM
And also, would I use the crossover (passive) that came with the JL set, or still use my amps crossovers?

squeak9798
10-10-2005, 10:45 PM
So I would have to use y connectors and connect the left rca off the deck to one set of channels and the right rca off the deck to the other... and then level match them?

Yup. Basically.

squeak9798
10-10-2005, 10:46 PM
And also, would I use the crossover (passive) that came with the JL set, or still use my amps crossovers?

Both.

You'd use the passives to split the signal between each driver, then the xover on the amp to highpass the midbass.

JettaGLI
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Both.

You'd use the passives to split the signal between each driver, then the xover on the amp to highpass the midbass.

So, going back to our other thread, to make this setup work nicely I would need a bandpass crossover?

Or, is this setup kind of designed for more what I am looking for.

And, would the 4" give me enough sound? I could just as easily buy teh 5.25" set and get a 6.5" mid bass driver for the door. The only difference would be that I wouldn't have to bridge my amp, and... there wouldn't be a crossover for all 3 speakers per side, just the comp set.

What do you think is the best way to go?

I could just leave the door speaker out of the picture, it's just that 5.25" seems small to have them as your only mids speaker. Seems like the whole point of going with Kicks is to get good imageing, won't a door speaker throw that off?

squeak9798
10-10-2005, 11:16 PM
So, going back to our other thread, to make this setup work nicely I would need a bandpass crossover?

No.

In your other thread, you were talking about adding a midbass to a component set. In which case, you would need to actively bandpass the midbass.

In this case, the component set is already a 3-way set, meaning the midbass runs off of the passive. All you need to do is highpass it.

Or, is this setup kind of designed for more what I am looking for.

Yes

And, would the 4" give me enough sound?

Should.

I could just as easily buy teh 5.25" set and get a 6.5" mid bass driver for the door.

Only if your amp can bandpass ;)

The only difference would be that I wouldn't have to bridge my amp,

You don't have to bridge the amp. It is, however, an option.

What do you think is the best way to go?

For you....the JL's. Or just stick with a 2-way 5.25" comp set (<-- probably the best option for you).

No offense.....but you sound lost. And getting more complicated with your setup is only going to result in worse sound.

K.I.S.S.

I could just leave the door speaker out of the picture, it's just that 5.25" seems small to have them as your only mids speaker.

5.25's can get loud when setup properly.

JettaGLI
10-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I might sound lost, but I am a quick learner, espeacially with nice guys like you helping me out!

I just want something that sounds spectacular, and I just am not getting that right now with my mid set up.

I have now stumbled on the JL audio 6w0. How much is a bandpass crossover? Can I buy one for just 2 speakers? Any links or brand names? I did a search for bandpass cross over and came up with nothing.