PDA

View Full Version : Want to give fiberglass a go for the first time (need some experts)

Denial
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey, i want to build my own fiberglass box in the back of my camaro for a 15"
I have never touched the stuff, i am really amazed at the whole idea, and id love to learn how to do it.
I am totally clueless, i have no clue what i need to make it, i also dont know how to build boxes, like figure out how many cubes would fit in the back and how to fit it in there, i need 2.3 cubes, what can i use, i heard of a program to design boxes, does anyone know where i can get that or what its called?
Also, here comes the fiberglass part, does anyone have any sites, or tutorials that i can go to to read up on this, mabey step by step things with pictures and all that good stuff, prefrably fiberglass boxes, but i imagine the process is the same for everything fiberglass.
So basicly, i want to built my first fiberglass box, i have no clue what im doing and i am looking for an expert who could explain in detail to me how to do it, or give me some beginer sites.
How hard is it to glass anyway, i paid $1200 for my previous fiberglass setup so im guessing it isnt that easy?

ramos
10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey, i want to build my own fiberglass box in the back of my camaro for a 15"
I have never touched the stuff, i am really amazed at the whole idea, and id love to learn how to do it.
I am totally clueless, i have no clue what i need to make it, i also dont know how to build boxes, like figure out how many cubes would fit in the back and how to fit it in there, i need 2.3 cubes, what can i use, i heard of a program to design boxes, does anyone know where i can get that or what its called?
Also, here comes the fiberglass part, does anyone have any sites, or tutorials that i can go to to read up on this, mabey step by step things with pictures and all that good stuff, prefrably fiberglass boxes, but i imagine the process is the same for everything fiberglass.
So basicly, i want to built my first fiberglass box, i have no clue what im doing and i am looking for an expert who could explain in detail to me how to do it, or give me some beginer sites.
How hard is it to glass anyway, i paid $1200 for my previous fiberglass setup so im guessing it isnt that easy?

Check out the sticky's at the top of this forum. Good stuff there :)

negativezeroz
10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Start on something small. I am doing my first FG attempt as of yesterday. More layers and sanding will happen today after school. (currently ~1.2ft sealed for a HED10-SVC)

Denial
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, i cant really think of anything else that needs glasses besides the box, so anything else would be a waste of time, basicly its pretty simple, im just going to close off the whole trunk, then make one of those rings to suspend the driver to a slanted level, it sounds easy and looks easy but i have no clue how to make boxes in the firs tplace, or those rings, and all this stuff seems to puzzle me, but you have to start somewhere

negativezeroz
10-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, i cant really think of anything else that needs glasses besides the box, so anything else would be a waste of time, basicly its pretty simple, im just going to close off the whole trunk, then make one of those rings to suspend the driver to a slanted level, it sounds easy and looks easy but i have no clue how to make boxes in the firs tplace, or those rings, and all this stuff seems to puzzle me, but you have to start somewhere

ok its your money and time...

cxixer
01-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Check out http://www.able-audio.com/tutorials/glass/glass.php, basically a newbie tutorial. Covers some nice stuff.

And those rings you speak of are called 'speaker rings' - check out "What are speaker rings?" at
http://www.able-audio.com/purchasehelp/rings.php for details.

www.able-audio.com offers premade and custom rings

bri487
01-10-2006, 06:53 AM
you can read and read and read and it gets you to a good starting point, but i think you will learn the most once you dive in and experiment with it. once you get the hang of how it works its pretty simple.

UndercoverPunk
01-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Listen to them, do some glassing before you start your project, just flat glass on some cardboard if you don't have anything else to do... this will get you used to mixing the resin and getting the right ratio for the catalyst. It will also get you used to painting the stuff on and how it reacts to you smacking it around with a paint brush, which really is the best way to do it.

Just trust me, what you would learn by doing this would be priceless once you actually started that enclosure.

bri487
01-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Listen to them, do some glassing before you start your project, just flat glass on some cardboard if you don't have anything else to do... this will get you used to mixing the resin and getting the right ratio for the catalyst. It will also get you used to painting the stuff on and how it reacts to you smacking it around with a paint brush, which really is the best way to do it.

Just trust me, what you would learn by doing this would be priceless once you actually started that enclosure.

paint brush works good, rollers work well sometimes as well, if you have the right one.

he just needs to get messy, i think that is where he will learn the most.

this summer i am going to get better with using a cup gun that way i can master the paint part of it, get my finishing skills down.

skeptikal
01-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Fiberglassing isnt really that hard. I mean its just alot of freakin work (waiting and sanding), make sure you gotta DA sander or any power sander, because that is where most of the work is going to be. If you can stretch the fleece over the mold/MDF rings you should have no problem actually putting the glass on it.

Also, there are directions on every quart / gallon of fiberglass resin that says how much to use as a catalyst, just follow the directions until you get the hang of it.

bri487
01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Fiberglassing isnt really that hard. I mean its just alot of freakin work (waiting and sanding), make sure you gotta DA sander or any power sander, because that is where most of the work is going to be. If you can stretch the fleece over the mold/MDF rings you should have no problem actually putting the glass on it.

Also, there are directions on every quart / gallon of fiberglass resin that says how much to use as a catalyst, just follow the directions until you get the hang of it.

oh, and when it comes to sanding, wear a long sleeve shirt and a dust mask on over your face. fiberglass in the throat and lungs ***** even more than it does in your skin. if you get it in your skin, use a nylon panty hose and rub it on your skin, it catches the fiberglass and removes it, then take a cold shower, not hot, not luke warm, cold, yes it ***** but it closes the pores and pushes out the fiberglass.

Omarvelous
01-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Start on something small. I am doing my first FG attempt as of yesterday. More layers and sanding will happen today after school. (currently ~1.2ft sealed for a HED10-SVC)

I don't think he needs to start small, BUT i do think he should invest the time and effort into reading and reading and readin and reading and learning and learning and learning on how to glass.

Then when u feel your confident enough, go for it.

danteBirosel
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
what a great read for a noob like myself on fiberglass. Got me more interested in the subject.

-Dante

req
01-10-2006, 11:54 PM
before ya do anything, i suggest that ya at least get some tape and practice a LITTLE with doing a mould of a kickpanel or somthing... just to get the hang of actually handeling everything.

and do wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. dont even wear shoes you remotely like. put a tarp down and tape everything off.

YOU WILL SPILL IT ON SOMTHING YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO. trust me. ive done it several times

skeptikal
01-10-2006, 11:57 PM
and do wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. dont even wear shoes you remotely like. put a tarp down and tape everything off.

YOU WILL SPILL IT ON SOMTHING YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO. trust me. ive done it several times

x2 on that for sure.... wear the sh*ttiest clothes you possibly can.

SwaveY
01-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Wow... yeah im trying to learn about this stuff too... Does everyone here use premade MDF rings or make em yourself? I dont see why i couldnt just make it myself but im guessing theres a reason they make premade correct?

req
01-11-2006, 12:49 AM
why would you buy mdf rings? :crap:

just get a drill, a piece of cardboard\pencil, and a jigsaw\router+jig and go for it. not like they are hard to make.

ramos
01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow... yeah im trying to learn about this stuff too... Does everyone here use premade MDF rings or make em yourself? I dont see why i couldnt just make it myself but im guessing theres a reason they make premade correct?

Don't buy them make them yourself. If your going to make allot get a plunge router and a jig. Once you use one you will want to kick yourself in the a$$ for not getting it sooner. :)

ramos
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Makes for some pretty interesting modern art though doesn't it :D A big blob of chit stuck together with a weird amber looking glue. :)

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 10:11 AM

You know... looking back at this reply....

This is EXACTLY why lots of knowledgable people don't come around here anymore.... first of all this thread could have been avioded with some simple search skills.
Then you have to take into consideration what was asked... he wanted tips from the "experts"... so then a few people came in a gave them what they felt was the best advise.... practice.
BUT, instead of listening to what he had asked for, he refered to it as "a waste of time".

Geeeee, thanks.