PDA

View Full Version : Tuning too high or too low

hcoronado
10-10-2005, 12:38 AM
ok guys i have read as far back as possible and came accros tuning ported boxes to 40hz ideal for rap /hiphop

two questions.

is this ideal for hip hop /rap music?

is this going to be loud? which is what i am after!

i know woofer information is a must so i am going with 2 12w6v2's in a 1.4 cubic feet enclosure tuned at 40hz.......the box is from SUBZone who i have heard have a reputation for making kick *** boxes......is this true?

i am pushing each 12 with its own 500/1 amp so the power is there.

thannks for your comments and help on this issue.

by the way if the box is already tunned to 40hz how can i change the tunning to lets say 35hz?

and will i be able to tell the difference?

also if the port is already made do i need to enlarge it to achieve the 35hz tunning or do i have to short it?

again thanks!

maldecido33
10-10-2005, 12:45 AM
you can't "retune" a box once it's been built

1.4cubic feet is no where near enough room for 2 12w6v2s, especially being ported

and you didnt need 3 threads

JimJ
10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
W6v2's are the wrong sort of driver for that application.

But that's just IMHO.

SSS 18734
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
w6v2's are some of the nicest SQ drivers out there... don't waste their potential by tuning that high and losing a good bit of low end.

and 1.4 cu.ft. isnt really enough for two 12's.

IamDeMan
10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
W6v2's are the wrong sort of driver for that application.

But that's just IMHO./\ Go with Kicker L7 if you want loud or any number of other "SPL" subs. W6 is not intended for that genre. Not saying that it can't be loud of course. As stated you will need much more room than that for 2 12"

ruckus
10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
40Hz is not good for W6 and loud is not what youre gonna get from W6. Memphis Pr are louder than W6 and use half the wattage. my PRs are tuned to 40Hz and sound good for them specific subs.

as for not being able to retune, you can retune if you use aeroports, however once you go to 40hz you cant go back to 35hz unless you use a new port.

hcoronado
10-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I am sorry about the triple post. I am not trying to be a post whhore Freaking double clicking man! LOL

Guys I failed to mention that each woofer has its own chaimber which is 1.4 cubic feet each.

Just an idea....but if I add to the thickness of front baffle therefore increasing the port lenght of the box......will this change, make any difference as far as the tuning goes?
Also by increassing the front baffle does this gives the extra inches needed to be close to 1.5 cubic feet of space?

sorry just trying to get it right!

My blow through is kind of small for a big *** box. JL recommends 1.5 per chamber so with the current box i am at 1.4 per chamber; is this a big difference?

also looking at their numbers (single woofer) 26.25 in. x 14 in. x 13 in. the 26.25 being the width, following by height and depth and if I only have 34 inches of width and 13.5 of height to play with for both woofers; can i make up the difference in depth and if so how can i tune the box to 32hz 35esh succesfully?

Any body in north cali that can build me a box? LOL

thanks again.

$$mok3d
10-10-2005, 01:10 PM
i had one of them there subzone boxes. paid way too much for it but it did the job. it's the one with dual 2.0 cu.ft chamber tuned to 30hz. had 12w3v2 in there and had mtx 4000 series in there and sounded decent. ZV212-2030 thats the porduct number on the site. i still have the box if anyone is intrested in it.

kuijo
10-10-2005, 01:19 PM
My blow through is kind of small for a big *** box. JL recommends 1.5 per chamber so with the current box i am at 1.4 per chamber; is this a big difference?

have you factored in displacment at all? you might be closer to 1.2-1.3