PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start question.

brad
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Today I installed my viper 791xv and everything works great except the remote start. As fas as I can tell everything is wired correctly, including the neutral and hood kill switches. When I try to start the car with the remote start, all the guages and the radio turn on during the three start attempts, then turn off and the remote responds with start failed. The air conditioner doesn't come on , could this be a problem. The car will start manually with the key. Does anyone know what may be causing the car to fail to start.

iagrdshaka
10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I would go over everything in the manual step by step to see if i messed up somewhere if I were you.

brad
10-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I read through the manual completely, but I will probably look through it again tonight to see if I missed anything.

AltizzyGXE
10-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I never had the problem with the remote start, i did with the right rear window being activated. I had to re-read the manual and get it all fixed up right!

DiamondFanatic
10-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Does your starter crank?

brad
10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
No, the starter never turns over. I was looking at the wiring diagrams that I have and there is a wire callled keysense, but I don't know what this wire is for or if it is needed

KaeZoo
10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Make sure your starter wires are hooked up correctly, so that the purple leads to the starter side and the green leads to the key switch side of the wire. If they're reversed, it would cause your problem. What are you using to bypass the Passlock?

req
10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
well, you most likely have a chipped key, this means there is a small RF transmitter inside your car key, and unless that RF signal is bypassed, or a unit that actually uses a spare key to bypass it is used, your car (and sometimes fuel systems) wont engage.

seeing that its a 2002, most likely, 99% chance you do have it and this is why its not working. call the dealer and ask if you have keysense in your car.

that will tell you if you need a transponder bypass or not :)

KaeZoo
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Trailblazers don't use chipped keys, they use Passlock II. Since Brad had an earlier post about bypass modules for Passlock II, my guess is he's got the module.

brad
10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, the key doesn't have a chip. The bypass that I have is the codealarm GMDLBP 6 in 1 passlock and transponder bypass.
Purple wire is on the starter side, green wire is on the key side. If these wires were crossed I don't think the car would even start with the key because they wouldn't complete the circuit through the relay.

KaeZoo
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the key doesn't have a chip. The bypass that I have is the codealarm GMDLBP 6 in 1 passlock and transponder bypass.
Purple wire is on the starter side, green wire is on the key side. If these wires were crossed I don't think the car would even start with the key because they wouldn't complete the circuit through the relay.

It's a normally-closed circuit; it will start with the key, even with the starter wires reversed, unless the alarm is armed. It just wouldn't remote start.

ramos
10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Did you use both ignition wires ? Pink and the white ? If you don't connect the second ignition wire ( white ) the vehicle won't start either. :)

brad
10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Both Ign. 1 and Ign. 2 are connected and I checked the Ignition connections with a DMM to be sure they are right.

KaeZoo
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm not familiar with the Code-Alarm bypass, but I bet that's where the problem lies. You might try calling their tech support line.

brad
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
I will try that and see if I get any answers.

brad
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
On the bypass there is a wire labeled "Negative ground output when running (remote start installations only)", I currently have this connected to the "white/blue remote start (-) activation input"; which I believe is the correct wire.

There is also another set of wires that plug into the relay satellite for the starter, but they are never mentioned in the manual.
They are labled:
BLUE (-) status output
ORANGE (-) 200mA second accessory output
PURPLE (-) 200mA starter output
PINK (-) 200mA ignition output
Would any of these wires have anything to do with the car not starting, they are in one of these 4-pin mini connectors and aren't even mentioned in the manual except on the reference guide with the wire maps.

The bypass is working as far as I can tell, because it is allowing the doors to lock/unlock and the car is attempting to start so I may try to have the bypass relearn the r-code for the key again.

KaeZoo
10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
On the bypass there is a wire labeled "Negative ground output when running (remote start installations only)", I currently have this connected to the "white/blue remote start (-) activation input"; which I believe is the correct wire.

Ah, that's the problem. That's the wrong wire. You need to hook it up to the status output wire; either the blue/white one that's in the same plug as your tach wire, or the blue one from the relay pack. Basically when the bypass module senses ground on that wire, it activates. The status output is connected to ground whenever the remote start is activated; its whole purpose is to work with modules like yours.

There is also another set of wires that plug into the relay satellite for the starter, but they are never mentioned in the manual.
They are labled:
BLUE (-) status output
ORANGE (-) 200mA second accessory output
PURPLE (-) 200mA starter output
PINK (-) 200mA ignition output
Would any of these wires have anything to do with the car not starting, they are in one of these 4-pin mini connectors and aren't even mentioned in the manual except on the reference guide with the wire maps.

The bypass is working as far as I can tell, because it is allowing the doors to lock/unlock and the car is attempting to start so I may try to have the bypass relearn the r-code for the key again.

The blue wire I explained. The others are for hooking up additional remote start relays. Some vehicles have a third ignition wire or a second accessory that needs to be powered during the remote start cycle.

brad
10-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Sweet, I'll try those wires tomarrow. Now the only question I have is about the white/blue remote start (-) activation input wire on the primary power connector that I had connected to the bypass; should this wire just be grounded out?

KaeZoo
10-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Sweet, I'll try those wires tomarrow. Now the only question I have is about the white/blue remote start (-) activation input wire on the primary power connector that I had connected to the bypass; should this wire just be grounded out?

No, it should be taped off. That input is used when you want to activate the remote start with something other than the remote control; for example, you could wire it to a switch and push the switch to activate the remote start, or hook it up to another alarm output to use that alarm's remote to activate the remote start. In your application, it's not going to be used at all, so just tape it off.

brad
10-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks, the remote start works now.