PDA

View Full Version : Guy at shop offering a custom box for $100...

lil azn 06
10-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi,

I recently visited a car shop, and they offered to build a box for a 12w6v2 for $100 ported or sealed. Thing is that im guessing its a plain box with 1 inch wood. Is this a good deal or not?

If not, what kind of box should i be looking for, as in design? I have an Integra hatchback, and the guy at the shop said i should get a sealed box since there all this open air that can from the hatch to the front. Is this true?

Thanks

HowLowd
10-09-2005, 12:31 AM
peronal pref. what are you looking for and what type of material will you be playing? going into a ported enclosure your going to give up alot more space than you would sealed, but youlll definitely reap the benies if you go with a ported. Trade off will be some power handling and space for more output.

SSS 18734
10-09-2005, 12:44 AM
100 dollars is an unbelievable price for a custom box...

assuming its well designed and built / finished.

negativezeroz
10-09-2005, 01:03 AM
wait..so $100 for ported or sealed? That's a no brainer...

ruckus
10-09-2005, 01:11 AM
100 dollars is an unbelievable price for a custom box...

assuming its well designed and built / finished.

unless its a shop like some around here. there "Custom Boxes" consist of a cookie cutter box that they make on demand. If thats what these guys are doing then you got a $35 box for $100

as for selling you on sealed, of course they want you to get a sealed box, its easier to make. throw mdf together and cut a circle. ported boxes require more calculations to tuning if done right.

PRIVATEpastry
10-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Ask them if they have examples/show boxes that they have made in the past. If they're good construction (straight edges, 3/4"-1" mdf, etc) then I say it sounds like a good deal!

lil azn 06
10-09-2005, 01:28 AM
im gonna be driving a 500/1 on a 12w6v2 or alpine type r (some guy tryin to sell one 12 type r for 100). I listen to rap, but im looking for SQ sub/box for the rainbows im about to get. So ported would be better? I saw some of their boxes, its very clean, and they told me theyd make a custom box for me, although i wouldnt really know whats behind those doors.....

Also well, i just talked to another guy who works there, he says its $175 for a box. Confusing..... but they are selling a 500/1 and 12w6v2 for 700, which seems **** good to me as far as pricing goes so i really dont know.

Back to the box, i thought some boxes got some wierd *** wood shapes in them, for more bass....