PDA

View Full Version : 2 12" Xplod for laptop/Ipod

Sonfish
10-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi im trying to set up my two 12" sony xplods with a 1200W 2 channel xplod amp to either my laptop or ipod. Now I have an idea how to do it but I need to know if it is right. Someone told me that I can just buy a 12 volt dc power supply at radio shack to power my amp. And than i bought a headphone to rca so the the headphone jack recieves the rca inputs. And i was wondering if their was a way to use the speakers from my laptop to work with the subwoofers. Or i have some comp speakers that could be connected with the subwoofers. I am just really stuck as to what to do. I don't want to spend that much also. so any suggestions would help. If it costs too much for a power suplly than ill just use my car battery and keep charging it. I just wanna make use of my subwoofers cuz they are just sitting there in my car that is off the road. thanks

PV Audio
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
It would be much cheaper if you even bought new speakers and made a subwoofer with a plate or pro audio amp. What you are trying to do is probably the #1 asked question in this forum. As it is said in every thread, a regular setup is better.

patton422
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
not to metion its sony! and then you shouldn't hook subs and comp speakers to the same amp. Never. If you go with logitech or creative it will be better than sony stuff. But yes go with stuff thats made for home audio. You could stay with the power supply amp and subs but you would have to get a reciever for you highs and mids with a sub out for your amp.

PV Audio
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
not to metion its sony! and then you shouldn't hook subs and comp speakers to the same amp. Never. If you go with logitech or creative it will be better than sony stuff. But yes go with stuff thats made for home audio. You could stay with the power supply amp and subs but you would have to get a reciever for you highs and mids with a sub out for your amp.
:uhoh: got anything else you'd like to pull out of your ***? i guess everyone who has a computer audio system that isn't an in box thing is violating your laws?

patton422
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
What are you talking about "in a box thing" "violating your laws" . First he has a sony car amp are you saying its ok to hook a sub up to a channel and then a comp speaker to the other? Second I was just saying he could do it ghetto with the car amp if he wanted to(don't forget his money his choice) and if he did that he would have to go with a receiver and speakers (built or bought) it doesn't matter but he should stick with stuff thats specifically for home audio.

I was agreeing with you ya jerk but instead of buying another amp he could get that power supply I got mine for $10 and a plate amp will def cost more.

No wonder why so many people hate you lemans you pick fights all the time with everybody.

JimJ
10-10-2005, 12:23 PM
are you saying its ok to hook a sub up to a channel and then a comp speaker to the other?

It's very common to hook up components to the front two channels and run a sub off the bridged rears.

But this is extremely ghetto for home use as you've pointed out :)

azbass
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
and he has sony so what?

ruckus
10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi im trying to set up my two 12" sony xplods with a 1200W 2 channel xplod amp to either my laptop or ipod. Now I have an idea how to do it but I need to know if it is right. Someone told me that I can just buy a 12 volt dc power supply at radio shack to power my amp. And than i bought a headphone to rca so the the headphone jack recieves the rca inputs. And i was wondering if their was a way to use the speakers from my laptop to work with the subwoofers. Or i have some comp speakers that could be connected with the subwoofers. I am just really stuck as to what to do. I don't want to spend that much also. so any suggestions would help. If it costs too much for a power suplly than ill just use my car battery and keep charging it. I just wanna make use of my subwoofers cuz they are just sitting there in my car that is off the road. thanks
send me your subs and amp and I will send you a set of creative labs 6.1 surround sound speakers made for a computer ;) I stopped using it because I use headphones on my computer, and I will use the subs as they were ment to be used. (as an experiemental setup :D)

PV Audio
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
What are you talking about "in a box thing" "violating your laws" . First he has a sony car amp are you saying its ok to hook a sub up to a channel and then a comp speaker to the other? Second I was just saying he could do it ghetto with the car amp if he wanted to(don't forget his money his choice) and if he did that he would have to go with a receiver and speakers (built or bought) it doesn't matter but he should stick with stuff thats specifically for home audio.

I was agreeing with you ya jerk but instead of buying another amp he could get that power supply I got mine for $10 and a plate amp will def cost more.

No wonder why so many people hate you lemans you pick fights all the time with everybody.
you said not to use your computer speakers with your receiver, which is very common.

patton422
10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I said not to use computer speakers off his car amp thats running off the power invertor or converter whatever it is

Savstyle
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
send me your subs and amp and I will send you a set of creative labs 6.1 surround sound speakers made for a computer ;) I stopped using it because I use headphones on my computer, and I will use the subs as they were ment to be used. (as an experiemental setup :D)
i like the sound of his idea, i think you should do it