PDA

View Full Version : One hell of a good deal here.

JimJ
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1133523638

I wish they still made these...probably the easiest way to get into vacuum tubes.

Figured somebody might be interested.

saywhat?
10-05-2005, 12:04 PM
i have a 40 watt tube amp...for a guitar! woot. sounding amazing! whats the difference in tube watts and regular watts we have in car audio. i know the tube watts are "more efficient" in the sense, you dont need as many to get extremely loud.

ngsm13
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Wow, tempting. Too bad this is spring... :(

What is a good OBO to offer him??

NG

JimJ
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
You could probably offer him $220 or so...that's actually a pretty fair price he's got.

whats the difference in tube watts and regular watts we have in car audio. i know the tube watts are "more efficient" in the sense, you dont need as many to get extremely loud.

There isn't a difference between the watts - a watt is a watt as far as the measuring goes. What's different is the sonic presence and character...having loads of second-order harmonics makes you think it's louder. Also, most of the time you're going to be using very high efficiency speakers, which do get louder off less power. It's the speakers that allow you to get room-filling sound with a handful of watts.

squeak9798
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
i know the tube watts are "more efficient" in the sense, you dont need as many to get extremely loud.

Since tube amps generally output very low wattage, it necessitates the use of high efficiency speakers with them....such as horns. It's the high efficiency speakers that are the cause of the "get loud with little power" (that's basically the definition of high efficiency....more output with low power). Not because there is anything "different" with the watts of a tube amp.

JimJ
10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Squeak's dead on...

Another reason why that amp is nice for a beginner is the output power...8wpc is relatively forgiving of lower-efficiency speakers. You could get away with 89dB/W speakers in a transmission line or vented cabinet, and not have a need for horns or anything fancy.

thylantyr
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
One hell of a good deal here.

$15 per watt is a good deal ? :goodorbad :typing: :bigwave:

The last amp I bought I paid 16 cents per watt :)

JimJ
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Take your kilowatts and go play elsewhere :yumyum: :crazy: :p:

thylantyr
10-05-2005, 01:47 PM
i have a 40 watt tube amp...for a guitar! woot. sounding amazing! whats the difference in tube watts and regular watts we have in car audio. i know the tube watts are "more efficient" in the sense, you dont need as many to get extremely loud.

The reason guitar players like tube amplifiers is because they desire
tube amplifier distortion to create 'sound effects'. Tube amplifier distortion
is more pleasing to the ear than solid state distortion, so if you like distortion,
overdriving tube amplifiers will give this to you.

But for audio playback, do you want to playback the original source clean
or do you want to playback your music with the added distortion ? You can have it
both ways with tube. Don't over drive the tube amp to play it clean, or overdrive it
to give you pleasing distortion. Pleasing distortion is an oxymoron ? :laugh:

thylantyr
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Take your kilowatts and go play elsewhere :yumyum: :crazy: :p:

Megawatts :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum:

+

High sensitivity speakers

... the real audio nirvana :)

btnhfan
10-05-2005, 08:20 PM

You think thats bad.....

Look at the TRU copper tube amp.......

You will cry.

saywhat?
10-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the explenation. It's not a "beginners" amp by any means, in my eyes. Its a Fender amp, I forget the name of it.......****. But you said it was a bad *** amp I could get close to 400-500 for still. Deluxe Series maybe? Fender Deluxe, 40watt tube? Its vented, I guess. its not sealed , but it seems more of an IB setup as there isnt port walls, just a rear opening.