PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEH-p8600MP or Alpine CDA-9855?

Arawak420
10-05-2005, 12:52 AM
im trying to figure which one of these i should get. they seem to be eqaul in power and options although i hqave no clue of what they sound like. i saw the cda-9855 at the LS and it looked pretty nice. does the 8600 face slide like the cda-9855?

which would you prefer? what are the ups and downs on both units?

Slaugh
10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
i dunno but i'd surely stay away from alpine 05 line

JAZN
10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
supposedly they've fixed the newer batch of 9855's. if that's the case, i'd go with the 9855 (which is more comparable to the premier 860, not pioneer 8600). make sure you're gonna like the glidetouch though.

kuijo
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Ya the new batches of the 9855's are fixed, and pioneer still has problems with ground noise from broken solders or something. If you're going to be a lot of eqing the pioneer has a 13 band as compared to the alpines 6 or 7 band i forget how many. With that being said i think i made the right decsion choosing the alpine (i was in the same situation as you).

Arawak420
10-05-2005, 01:24 AM
whats wrong with the first 9855's? i have a brand new p8600mp but i've read about the ground issue. so im not sure i even want to hook it up and just sell it for the $300 i paid.

so all these 8600's have a ground prob? or some?

kuijo
10-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Some, but its not limited to the 8600, i don't know which are more common then others. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. Some of the alpine's motorized faces would break or it wouldn't eject cds.

DiamondFanatic
10-05-2005, 01:48 AM
I own both. I would get the Premier 860 hands down. Better warranty, better preamp outputs, better eq, the MP3 CD interface is awesome, it's just a great product. I have had 0 problems with mine in the last 6 months I've had it.

kuijo
10-05-2005, 01:51 AM
how long is ur warranty diamond?

fatryan
10-05-2005, 01:52 AM
i got a new batch 9855 and it really sux. its not very user friendly.

WiNnErPL
10-05-2005, 01:55 AM
I've had a 8600mp for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.

DiamondFanatic
10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
how long is ur warranty diamond?
2 years. (warranty on all premier line pioneer units)

One thing I don't like about the 9855 is that you have to use iPersonalize in order to easily change the eq and T/A settings (which doesnt make it easy) on the premier you can do everything on the unit itself. I also like the Color OEL display on the Premier, rather then the BioLite display on the alpine. BioLite is sharp, but it still washes out in the sunlight, and I just like the color a bit better. Plus two knobs> glidetouch in my opinion

DiamondFanatic
10-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I've had a 8600mp for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.
I'm not going to say that you made a mistake by getting the 8600, but I would advise future purchasers to spend the small amount of extra cash to actually get the DEH-P860MP especially if you are purchasing for retail. The 860 has better preamps and twice the warranty. (sorry about the two seperate posts)

kuijo
10-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Lol i got 4 years warranty, and you have to hold the menu button for 2 seconds to go to the pro options which will allow you to use t/a and eq and all thos things.. Lol doesn't sound like you spent very much time using it.

Arawak420
10-05-2005, 02:10 AM
thanks. better preamps mean cleaner sound? does the higher voltage preamp jacks keep the amp from starving for power, minimalizing distortion?

DiamondFanatic
10-05-2005, 02:11 AM
how do you have 4 years? got it at circuit city? I know that you have to hold down the button for two seconds to get to the pro menu... its the same with the color change and that crap. I just like the simple interface on the pioneer, the submenus and glidetouch just get annoying. But you're right, I use the 860 more. The 9855 is what I put in my dads car for fathers day, I could have either if I wanted to (especially since the 9855 is cheaper), but the 860 is much better in my opinion.
And yes, the higher voltage outputs give you a better signal to the amp.

Youhearthat?
10-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Soun quality wise the 860 is better than te 9855?

DiamondFanatic
10-05-2005, 02:38 AM
I say yes...

Trancer
10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
I messed with the glidetouched Alpine. My buddy was deciding between that and the same deck I have, Pioneer Premier 960. I didnt like the glidetouch, too much of a distraction. When I messed with it, I "overglided" I guess you could say. Good idea in the thinking stage, bad idea to actualy follow through with it. However I guess the new idea got some decks sold.

As for the noise problem, well.... I have the problem and so does my friend. Its an easy fix. Warantee covers it and everything. Alot of them come out with it, however it can be fixed for free with a warantee.

I say the Pioneer.

KngOfThePkngLot
10-05-2005, 05:03 AM
I messed with the glidetouched Alpine. My buddy was deciding between that and the same deck I have, Pioneer Premier 960. I didnt like the glidetouch, too much of a distraction. When I messed with it, I "overglided" I guess you could say. Good idea in the thinking stage, bad idea to actualy follow through with it. However I guess the new idea got some decks sold.

As for the noise problem, well.... I have the problem and so does my friend. Its an easy fix. Warantee covers it and everything. Alot of them come out with it, however it can be fixed for free with a warantee.

I say the Pioneer.
:word: glide touch is gay.....and it always ***** "overgliding":hilariou:

JLCivic
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
From a post on Elitecaraudio. It is an interesting thread. I am cut/pasting it because you have to be a member to see the posts I believe.

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=119616

My first post, so bring on the "newb" replies. Anyway, I'm building a new SQ system and I seriously regret my CDA-9855 purchase. So much so that I wrote Alpine this letter and sent it to Cusomter Service.

To Whom it May Concern,

As a dealer and customer of Alpine products, I felt the need to give
some constructive criticism and vent my frustration with Alpine's
current offerings. I have owned 3 alpine head units within the last 8 years...and I have
sold hundreds more through my employment at one of the biggest companies in car audio.
I recently sent my CVA-1005 in for repairs for the 3rd time, and
instead of holding a grudge against Alpine for all the headache it's
caused me...I decided to continue to support Alpine by purchasing the
CVA-9855 as a temporary replacement until the 1005 gets repaired.
I must say that I never believed anything I read in the many car
audio forums I'm a member of when they said that 2005 marked the death
of Alpine and that it was the beginning of a downward spiral in quality
and design.

The reason I always recommended and purchased Alpine products
is for Alpine's sound quality. But the CDA-9855 is extremely lacking in
this department. I was so shocked at the terrible sound quality coming from the 9855 I decided to conduct some tests. I bench tested a Pioneer DEH-P8600MP, Clarion DXZ755MC, and the CDA-9855 all using pre-outs connected to a JL 300/2 amplifier. I also made sure all gain and volume levels were equal. All these units are around the same price point, and the Clarion can be found about $100 lower than the rest.

I conducted all my tests with Defeats set to ON and all sound processors and EQ's set
to off. First off, why is it the Clarion and Pioneer offer 24-bit DAC's at the same price price point as the Alpine CDA-9855 and the Alpine does not (1-bit)? Interesting. I conducted several tests on all 3 units using the same CD. Sure enough, the Alpine was the worst of the bunch, which distinguished itself with a hollow, bright, undetailed sound. The Clarion was ironically the cheapest of the bunch, but had the best sounds quality. Smooth, detailed, and great midrange with amazing authority. On the Alpine, it was as if the musical instruments in the room had taken 4 steps back and were covered with a thin blanket. Frankly, I expect better from Alpine.

Furthermore, the Glidetouch represents the decline in Alpine
functionality that defies the common rule in this application...that
form follows function. I would expect such a wretched purely cosmetic interface on a
Kenwood, but never on an Alpine. The Glidetouch is the most cumbersome
menu I have ever used...and quite frankly it is a road hazard as I
find myself losing control and almost getting into car accidents while
attempting to navigate with it. It has no business being on an audio product, much less a car audio product!

Secondly, why is it one cannot lower the volume while engaged in a
menu?? If the volume is accidentally raised to an unbearable level,
and the menu is engaged, the user cannot simply turn it down! The user
is FORCED to first press (AND HOLD) the menu button for 3 whole seconds,
which feels like a lifetime when your ears drum are about to burst.
Returning to the front end menu should ALWAYS be as simple as the push
of a button. 3 seconds to engage the menu system is one thing..but it
should never take that long to exit the menu, much less lower the volume.

Third, this simple fact that Alpine wasn't kind enough to have a simple
Bass and Treble adjustments that are easily accessed without the
cumbersome Glidetouch speaks volumes about the nature of the product.
I've found it a grueling task to have to access the EQ (when I can find
it buried in the menu system) while trying to adjust individual bands
and THEN attempting to save it. Try doing this while driving. I'm
surprised insurance companies haven't raised the rates of all CDA-9855
owners.

Having said all that, I am very disappointed in the direction Alpine
has taken. I paid $500 for an Alpine deck 10 years ago that sounds 10 times better than the $500 CDA-9855 which I bought as a temporary solution to getting my CVA-1005 fixed. Needless to say, I can no longer recommend Alpine to my customers since I feel competing products, most notably Clarion, offer the most value and performance. It's not an easy thing to do considering I remember Alpine products with such a sense of fondness and nostalgia. But it is the right thing to do for my customers. Please forward this to your engineering dept or whoever may be responsible for the design of future offerings. There is still hope for Alpine. 2005 will either be remembered as the death of Alpine, or possibly just an "off year." I hope 2006 will mark Alpine's return to form. Until then, we will be waiting.

Sincerely,

Alex Guevara

bikejunkie223
10-05-2005, 10:46 AM
A very well spoken and reasoned comment on the alpine:word: I have the DEH 860Mp and like it a lot, though it is not without it's cumbersome features as well. The more features that are piled into these decks, the more interface issues there will be. And IMO most of the features are bullshit and worthless.

Alpineinstaller
10-05-2005, 11:06 AM
:hide: I like my HU.

fatryan
10-05-2005, 04:22 PM
yeah i agree with that post about the 3 comparisons. The reason i bought my 9855 was cause ive always like my friends alpine decks in the past. but those were older models. i really didnt realize how much the SQ has declined. im going to have to switch back to pioneer or maybe try eclipse.

plopy
10-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I would say the 8600mp, i was deciding between both, and it came down to the glidetouch, didnt seem like something id want

JAZN
10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
A very well spoken and reasoned comment on the alpine:word: I have the DEH 860Mp and like it a lot, though it is not without it's cumbersome features as well. The more features that are piled into these decks, the more interface issues there will be. And IMO most of the features are bullshit and worthless.
which features would those be?

anyways, I like my 860 a lot, 3 way network mode w/ independent adjustable xovers and slopes, 13 band eq, 6.5v preouts, easy mp3 browsing, etc. controls are cake, although I couldn't care less about the screensavers and entertainment **** since I'm never looking at my HU (I use the remote to do everything). I don't have the grounding problem, haven't really heard much about it except on this forum.

Slaugh
10-05-2005, 08:26 PM
im one of the guys who keeps *****ing here about how Alpine has declined... it is in fact true thou, and i would walk away from 05 line...

04 line had the same SQ of the 03 line AFAIK but Alpine gave it that cheap plastic feeling on the faceplate... biolite didnt compensate for it's cheap built quality...

i guess alpine is gone... a vast majority here would say Eclipse will kick alpine's *** any day of the week, expecially on SQ... now go back 4 years when Eclipse was well known as E-skips and Alpine had the flagship 7878 which had the fastest mp3 load and one fantastic SQ... and remember all the classic and SQ Alpine reference hu's are all in the past (7909, 7949, 7969, etc...)... barely no other HU would stand a chance against it's SQ, but now it became a sell-out brand it's quality isn't the same

too bad :(