PDA

View Full Version : Home audio suggestions

mattmcss
10-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Well , Since i dont really know much about home audio setups , or home theatre

Someone give me a basic rundown , anyone have any good speaker brands ? i am lookin for a set of towers for now , i've been looking at some infinitys or JBL's , i want to run em off a harmon kardon amp , I just need some input on what some good products are

Thanks in advance

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:19 PM
honestly, under 5k, the best speakers i've heard were the DT BP7k series bipolar speakers. your ears will bleed from the detail, no bsing

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html#7000sc

mattmcss
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
i was thinking in the 300 doller a pair speaker range

i might be able to do a set of 5000 dollar speakers , if i sold my soul

anyone ?

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:31 PM
5k isn't expensive comparitively :)

but i'd go with JBL then.

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 11:36 PM
or you could have lemans build you some speakers that are way better....

BCONNELLY
10-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Focal(JL Lab) is my vote, close to your range, but closer to 400 or 500 a pair,

at 300 I'd go JBL or Klipsch

(but, for an extra $100, Focal would justify it to you)

mattmcss
10-04-2005, 11:40 PM

i'd rather watch cats eat their own ****

JBL then ? infinity isnt as good ?

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 11:40 PM
i'd rather watch cats eat their own ****

JBL then ? infinity isnt as good ?

haha

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:42 PM
do you ever grow tired of being an immature ***? or will you always be like this? and you call me annoying..

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 11:43 PM
do you ever grow tired of being an immature ***? or will you always be like this? and you call me annoying..

just tryin to help you out man... i know you've got some amazing stuff to get out on the market

mattmcss
10-04-2005, 11:44 PM
jeesus how many lemans do we have here

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:44 PM
just tryin to help you out man... i know you've got some amazing stuff to get out on the market
actually you could help me out by growing up and not responding to anything i post unless it is in reference to you.

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
one was too many... but he makes amazing speakers so hes indispensable

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
jeesus how many lemans do we have here
i dunno, some people are just fascinated with teenage boys for some reason....

mattmcss
10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
anyways , focal makes home audio ?

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
actually you could help me out by growing up and not responding to anything i post unless it is in reference to you.

well... if you had any power whatsoever, or an ounce of merit... i might

but for now im going to help you with your sagging sales... everyone could ues a good set of lemans & Coleman speakers (L & Q)

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:51 PM
i understand that by picking on people younger than you it gives you a false sense of purpose, but try it on someone that actually will take you seriously. me? i take you to be immature people that don't have any life and sit behind their computer monitors and imitate and harass little boys. pretty fun lifestyle to live, no? how about you actually go outside, exercise for a week, talk to people and you'll see how immature you make yourselves look. that is all I am saying in reference to you both.

now, i do not believe that focal makes HA/HT equipment, but i may be wrong.

Echo42987
10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Polk setup wouldn't be bad...?

Definitive Technology
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/13296.html

Yamaha

Saphire
http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1813976&cp=1124285.1124339.1124387&sublevel=2&parentPage=family

Polk
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/monitor50/

All the brand here are extremley good and I've heard all of them personally. I use to sell them at Tweeter and Now I work at Abt electronics. The Definitive Technology's have my Vote. Amazing speakers for that price.

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Polk setup wouldn't be bad...?

Definitive Technology

Yamaha

Saphire
http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1813976&cp=1124285.1124339.1124387&sublevel=2&parentPage=family

Polk
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/monitor50/

All the brand here are extremley good and I've heard all of them personally. I use to sell them at Tweeter and Now I work at Abt electronics. The Definitive Technology's have my Vote. Amazing speakers for that price.
the DT's u posted are good to say the least. DT is probably my favorite affordable speaker company that is on the market.

if there was any speaker that i'd buy it'd be the definitives (7k series is a BARGAIN for how jaw dropping the quality is)

now if i was rich, i'd buy martin logan statement e2s, but that's for another day 50k from now :D

Echo42987
10-04-2005, 11:54 PM
You two shut the hell up stop thread Jacking.

Echo42987
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
if there was any speaker that i'd buy it'd be the definitives (7k series is a BARGAIN for how jaw dropping the quality is)

now if i was rich, i'd buy martin logan ascents, but that's for another day 50k from now :D

Martin Logans...obviously you haven't heard true quality yet. Though the Martin Logan line is extremley good there are products 20x's better out there!!! Bang & Olfsen, Krell, etc. I use to sell the Martin Logan line, but after getting a job at Abt electronics it makes everything I use to sell at Tweeter seem like it was nothing!

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Martin Logans...obviously you haven't heard true quality yet. Though the Martin Logan line is extremley good there are products 20x's better out there!!! Bang & Olfsen, Krell, etc. I use to sell the Martin Logan line, but after getting a job at Abt electronics it makes everything I use to sell at Tweeter seem like it was nothing!
my eyes!!!! b+o :crying:

these aren't tears of joy

but i haven't heard a krell speaker before albeit i have heard of them...

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 11:59 PM
they don't sell *edit* statement e2s at tweeter, 110% guaranteed ;)

Echo42987
10-05-2005, 12:00 AM
An amazing brand, Krell! I sell one of those speakers alone I've made an extra $200 on my check!
B and O is amazing...I've never heard anything like them! Such texture, true sound, precise, etc.

and the ascent line no......???

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
ahh ****, not the ascents, the statement e2's

*slaps himself*

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
http://martinlogan.com/statement_speaker.html

THIS is what i meant, i just got the name confused

greatest sound i've ever heard that could shake my balls :)

mattmcss
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
alrite so since i cant afford anything super nice like that , polk over JBL ?

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:04 AM
definitives ;)

Decado
10-05-2005, 12:04 AM
You could also try some diy setups, it would probably be cheaper. www.partsexpress.com

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
i agree, but in his situation, it sounds like a store bought product would be better suited for his needs :)

especially if you are around people that are either brand oriented (POLK AUDIO? must be good!) or just want to have some nice relaxing sound outta the box with no tweaking.

mattmcss
10-05-2005, 12:09 AM
i've thought about the DIY route , but setting up the crossovers is what confused the hell out of me

Echo42987
10-05-2005, 12:12 AM
http://martinlogan.com/statement_speaker.html

THIS is what i meant, i just got the name confused

greatest sound i've ever heard that could shake my balls :)

Ah....Yeah that!!! LoL how did you hear one of those befores? The only person that sells those is Martin Logan himself, and the only store I know he has are in NY, CA, and a few others......

Personally have heard some amazing things about those! It's like 800 baby speakers with the Electro Static and the tower thats with it!

Echo42987
10-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Are those speakers I poster to much...you said $500? Or did you mean all together!? If so...good luck finding somethin' lol For that amount I would just buy the Onkyo Setup. 6.1. Receiver, Center, 2 fronts, 3 rears, 1 10"sub Sounds great for the price.

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:13 AM
i've thought about the DIY route , but setting up the crossovers is what confused the hell out of me
:)

it's not so bad, you learn something new everytime

OR you could do a full range setup in a folded horn which would turn out looking like a tower speaker :)

mattmcss
10-05-2005, 12:15 AM
what about amps ? does HK make a good reciever ?

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Ah....Yeah that!!! LoL how did you hear one of those befores? The only person that sells those is Martin Logan himself, and the only store I know he has are in NY, CA, and a few others......

Personally have heard some amazing things about those! It's like 800 baby speakers with the Electro Static and the tower thats with it!
heard a demo in a ny ML shop on my trip to visit my sister in philly :)

changed my life....

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:17 AM
what about amps ? does HK make a good reciever ?
yes and a darn good one as well. however, since i'll probably never have a tv (i never watch tv anyway...) i'll either wind up donating my receiver to my dad's HT plans or i'll sell it. its excellent, but i don't really need a HT receiver since i don't watch movies and don't plan on it..

mattmcss
10-05-2005, 12:18 AM
which model do you have ? and by you mentioning it you would be willing to sell it ?

Echo42987
10-05-2005, 12:20 AM
heard a demo in a ny ML shop on my trip to visit my sister in philly :)

changed my life....

Really I'm really jealous...Did you hear the sub tower as well!? I've always wanted to go to that store....Saw pictures, it just looks frickin' sweet! Isn't the price tag on that around $65,000????

Can comment on those HK receivers...they are very good no doubt about that! Sold one to my friend and he can't stop talkin' about it. I personally am a Fan of the Denon 3805 (which I own) is out of the given price range. But for the price those HK's really shine!!!

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Really I'm really jealous...Did you hear the sub tower as well!? I've always wanted to go to that store....Saw pictures, it just looks frickin' sweet! Isn't the price tag on that around $65,000????

Can comment on those HK receivers...they are very good no doubt about that! Sold one to my friend and he can't stop talkin' about it. I personally am a Fan of the Denon 3805 (which I own) is out of the given price range. But for the price those HK's really shine!!!
yeah they run for ~60k, no pocket change :)

don't believe i heard the sub tower as i would have remembered it. however, the statements are RIDICULOUS....it is one of those 10 things every man needs to do before they die. let alone, it was free!

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:25 AM
which model do you have ? and by you mentioning it you would be willing to sell it ?
it's a kenwood vr707. its 100x6 6.1 receiver, has too many features which is one of the reasons why i don't like it. i don't want to have arena mode, stadium mode, club mode, night mode, stolen speakers with blood on the dance floor mode, or anything else like that. just give me sound. now, for a HT receiver, it is pro as that is what it is made for. just not what i need for stereo.

Echo42987
10-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Thats really cool...Now you can saw you've heard them! That is if your talkin' to someone who knows anything about them. I loved selling the Martin logans except they have there flaws...

But the tower is perfect...words cannot describe. I so wish I could hear them one day!

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Thats really cool...Now you can saw you've heard them! That is if your talkin' to someone who knows anything about them. I loved selling the Martin logans except they have there flaws...

But the tower is perfect...words cannot describe. I so wish I could hear them one day!
yes, you need to. haven't really been impressed with their other things really as they are too expensive for the quality, but jesus help me breathe is what i was saying when the rep hooked that **** up..............god.

but since i dont have a lexus to spend on audio, i'll stick to tooling around in my garage :)

Decado
10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
What is HK anyways?

PV Audio
10-05-2005, 01:51 AM
harman kardon :)

or to phoneman, heckler and koch

Decado
10-05-2005, 02:48 AM
harman kardon :)

or to phoneman, heckler and koch

Ahh, ok thanks.