PDA

View Full Version : Will cheap hu be bad for amps?

nas786
10-04-2005, 01:38 AM
I got a pretty ****** head unit, a jensen cd2620se, I got two questions about it.

It only has one pair of preamp outputs, are there any extensions or something I can buy to convert it into two?

Also, the preamp output voltage is only 1.5V, is this good enough if I'm trying to run about 400 watts through two amps (100 comps, 300 subs, decent amps, not top of the line, but not bs either, something like bottom line dls, or midrange pg's), or will it give me ****** sound quality or something like that?

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 01:43 AM
it'll work, you can get things that convert the speaker outputs to rcas too (i think), but its going to sound like ****

fuzzai
10-04-2005, 02:56 AM
If i were you, i would truthfully maybe look into getting a used deck maybe, at a "cheap" price, but not a cheap deck.

you can get some "older" alpines for under 100us that give you 3 outputs and at least 2 to 4 volts.

nas786
10-04-2005, 03:36 AM
yea, the more i look at this deck, the more i feel its gonna need replacing, dammit

I'm looking for something with 2 preamp outputs, cd capability, preferebely mp3 capability (not a MUST, but a BIG plus), don't wanna spend more than $130 (ebay/online prices, not msrp)....any suggestions

I was thinking clarion dxz555mp, anyone know if those are good?

Prowler573
10-04-2005, 03:47 AM
I got a pretty ****** head unit, a jensen cd2620se, I got two questions about it.

It only has one pair of preamp outputs, are there any extensions or something I can buy to convert it into two?

There's potentially two ways to do this. (1) You can buy RCA Y-splitters (usually available anywhere you'd buy normal RCA cables) and send the single output to two separate amp inputs. (2) If one of your amps has a RCA pass-thru output you can daisy-chain the amps and eliminate the need for a Y-splitter. If either of your amps has one this method will provide for a much cleaner signal being passed to the amps using the single HU preamp output.

The main disadvantage to running your components' amp and the subs' amp off of the same preamp output is lack of fader control. I will assume that your comps are up front and the subs aren't, correct? Well, the same fadar position will affect both amps.

A third possible option would be the introduction of an EQ, an outboard crossover, or a line driver to your setup and that would both boost the preamp voltage driving the source signal and give you a proper fadar function back.
Certainly just replacing your existing HU with one that has two or more sets of RCA outs would do the trick, too :)

Also, the preamp output voltage is only 1.5V, is this good enough if I'm trying to run about 400 watts through two amps (100 comps, 300 subs, decent amps, not top of the line, but not bs either, something like bottom line dls, or midrange pg's), or will it give me ****** sound quality or something like that?

1.5v preamp output current isn't great, by any means, but it's possibly useable. If you have to use Y-splitters to send signal to both amps that'll give you in the neighborhood of 0.75v preamp out signal to each amp - not terribly clean, I wouldn't think.
The best bet here would be if one of your amps has an RCA pass-thru. That way the HU's 1.5v output will only be driving one amp and whatever the RCA output voltage on the amp's pass-throughs will drive the other amp.

I think your best route, however, would be something from Option #3 above - EQ, Xover, or line driver usage or total HU replacement altogether.

I was thinking clarion dxz555mp, anyone know if those are good?

Nice HU, IMO, as most of the Clarions are. Not my preference, obviously, but a capable performer regardless.

FOSGATE JOE
10-04-2005, 09:34 AM
yes cheap decks **** i have a jensen too

pcnbaseball44
10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
What about these. I just got my head unit from here and everythings all good so you might want to think about these.
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2780
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2790
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2595

nas786
10-04-2005, 10:24 AM
^^good finds bud, thanks.