PDA

View Full Version : buddy wants to get diamond hex.. i say no!

noob with an RS
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
hey my buddy is willing to dish out 250 for some diamond hex.. but i think hes talking about running two components.. or four speakers total. i tried explaining that runing two up front with no rear fill is better.. but i think hes real skeptic about that.. hell be seeing this thread so help him out. are there any speakers you guys recommend in the 200-300 dollar price range that are cerrainly better than diamond hex series? they need to be 6.5" sets. i recommended ology audio to him but i think hes skeptic about that too being that its basically a single person and no one really has them..

oh yea, theyre going in a sweet-*** 2005 acura RSX

SSS 18734
10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
i've heard some great things about the Boston Acoustics Pro 60's. They can be had for less than $300 used. I havn't heard either of them, just throwing out a suggestion to consider.

bri487
10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
as far as speakers go, maybe look into the polk momo's. if you have a time alignment capabilities, running rear fill isnt a bad thing, if it is setup correctly. what kind of car is this going in. if it is an suv or sedan, i would personally run rear fill because whoever is sitting in the back doesnt want to only hear bass.

bri487
10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
i've heard some great things about the Boston Acoustics Pro 60's. They can be had for less than $300 used. I havn't heard either of them, just throwing out a suggestion to consider.

i forgot about those. they are a good speaker, but they dont keep with other things like the momo's, loudness wise.

OlogyAudio
10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
hey my buddy is willing to dish out 250 for some diamond hex.. but i think hes talking about running two components.. or four speakers total. i tried explaining that runing two up front with no rear fill is better.. but i think hes real skeptic about that.. hell be seeing this thread so help him out. are there any speakers you guys recommend in the 200-300 dollar price range that are cerrainly better than diamond hex series? they need to be 6.5" sets. i recommended ology audio to him but i think hes skeptic about that too being that its basically a single person and no one really has them..

Well he can always return the xovers to me if he doesn't like the sound... hes just out some shipping.

Partsexpress takes returns likewise if theyare in like new condition... and if they are debucked someone would SURELY buy them off you since it would save them having to do it :)

http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=22280&fid=7

Check that out too...

noob with an RS
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
how bout some internet brands that compete with the more expensive...

XtrmAudioCncpts
10-03-2005, 08:44 PM
boston pro's are so nice sounding probably the best bass i have heard from mids

noob with an RS
10-03-2005, 09:01 PM
how about something along the lines of ID, CDT, DLS, or other internet brands in that price range? how do they compare to the name brands in the price range?

bri487
10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
boston pro's are so nice sounding probably the best bass i have heard from mids

havent heard the zapco comp components yet i take it.

OlogyAudio
10-03-2005, 09:07 PM
havent heard the zapco comp components yet i take it.
I have yet to hear them... they better not give me a run for my money :laugh: or I'll cry :(

noob with an RS
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
u guys arent helping! what can compete/beat the diamond hex series and cost between 200-300 NEW??

tplaya07
10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Clean your PMs Noob.

bri487
10-03-2005, 11:52 PM
u guys arent helping! what can compete/beat the diamond hex series and cost between 200-300 NEW??

if you dont read the posts we cant help. we already suggested the boston pros and the polk momos.

squeak9798
10-04-2005, 12:20 AM
how about something along the lines of ID, CDT, DLS, or other internet brands in that price range? how do they compare to the name brands in the price range?

FYI: Those aren't "internet brands". ID, CDT and DLS are all "brand names" in the traditional sense.

Anyways; It really comes down to his preference in sound. All of those are good speakers. If he enjoys the sound of the Hex's, no reason to not let him get them.

OZ Audio Matrix Elite's would be another option to look into.

6spdcoupe
10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Rainbow SLCs would fit his budget and can be bought legitely within that price range. Although it soundlike hes a Fleabay shopper and doesnt value a warranty on one of the easiest parts of a system to blow.

Bake
10-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Why are you so hell bent on him buying an internet brand when you obviously haven't heard any of them yourself?

6spdcoupe
10-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Why are you so hell bent on him buying an internet brand when you obviously haven't heard any of them yourself?

Who was this directed to?

Bake
10-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Who was this directed to?

The guy that started the thread.

DiamondFanatic
10-04-2005, 02:19 AM
I like Hex's... never heard OZ or CDT or Rainbow before though... maybe letting him get what he wants wouldn't be a bad thing?

audiolife
10-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Rainbow SLCs would fit his budget and can be bought legitely within that price range. Although it soundlike hes a Fleabay shopper and doesnt value a warranty on one of the easiest parts of a system to blow.
i agree there. before you pick a set i would also consider mounting locations advantages and disadvantages to each ..blah blah blah

azbass
10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
the diamond hex are great speakers, and running 4 is fine, let him do what hes wants to do. rear fill is not BAD

fuzzai
10-04-2005, 03:28 AM
I love da Hex! :D got a pair my self..

Pistonsfan70
10-04-2005, 03:33 AM
I love da Hex! :D got a pair my self..

Ditto, I LOVE THEM!! Mine have the optional rear fill speakers too and sound great. The mid bass is perfect too, sounds sooo real!!

Prowler573
10-04-2005, 03:38 AM
noob ~ why are you so strongly advising your buddy against the Hexes?

I've not heard any of the others mentioned by other posters (the Bostons, the CDTs, IDs, CLSs, etc...) so I cannot comment about how they compare to the Hexes.

I have heard the Momos and I'd take the Hexes over 'em, myself. While it's easily discernable that I'm a bit biased towards DAT gear it's not due to displaced loyalties, IMO. It's solid gear. :)

If getting the Hexes will make him happy and provided they're installed/powered appropriately it won't become a matter of having bought crap, yanno? Tough to go wrong with high-end Diamonds if their sound is what you're after...

3.5Max6spd
10-04-2005, 10:51 AM
The Hex's are nice comps....but then you hear other stuff....

I'd check out the new D6's before going with old Hex's...IMo they sound better

Under $300 I woudn't look past Rainbow Soundlines, heck u get a sweet 3way set for $350.

squeak9798
10-04-2005, 11:37 AM
rear fill is not BAD

LIAR!!

Seriously though...at the very least I might try to dissuade him from spending the money for another comp set for the rear. Atleast try to talk him down to quality co-axials rather than a comp set.

3.5Max6spd
10-04-2005, 11:43 AM
LIAR!!

Seriously though...at the very least I might try to dissuade him from spending the money for another comp set for the rear. Atleast try to talk him down to quality co-axials rather than a comp set.

to boot is a tiny a ss car....2 sets of comps is total sound stage destruction....

noob with an RS
10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
first of all to the people saying why not let him go rear fill.. simply put, because i am his FRIEND. my system gets DAMMN loud without rear fill, sounds very nice, and oh yea, i dont sit in the bacc.:rolleyes: second, if he wants to go rear fill, i am going to stress to him to just go coaxials in the bacc because he is thinking if he gets hexes in the front hes going to get them in the bacc... and i really think thats a DAMMN waste cuz then he could spend that 600 on a BOMB *** rainbow set or something like that.. or iridiums or something. third, the reason im asking about the "internet brands" is because in the past year of being a member on this board, i am well under the impression that they can perform just as great as the major name brands but at a fraction of the price.. correct me if im wrong... you guys love your hexes yea.. and im sure he would too. im just trying to get him a better deal and something that he could love MORE like 3.5max6spd mentioned above.... something i wish i could be doing if i got something better than infinity perfects. (don't get me wrong, i've tweaked them to sound optimal)

noob with an RS
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM
has anyone heard the diamond Hex series AND any DLS components? how do they stacc up against each other? what model DLS are "on the same level" as the hex and what is hands-down better?

audiolife
10-04-2005, 07:21 PM
thats all install dependant i have heard some really good mb quarts and diamonds doesnt mean i would run them. in a car you just dont mock up and say those speakers are great there are reasons to why they do and or why they dont sound good. i have converted a few people over to my "cheapo" set over from hexes and a few others but was for obvious reasons for locations and stageing (and they dont compete if it stages well it doent sound like you are in a car) just my 2 cents but formost thing to try to get at is what he wants and expects then look at locations in the car and go from there

newb
10-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Although I have not heard any of the DLS lines, lets just say that the hex's are very clean and LOUD! I'd tell your friend to go ahead and get the hex's and like other's have said, get some quality coax's instead of comps for rear fill.

Ignatowski
10-06-2005, 09:09 AM
I like HEX's.I think the newer ones come with crappy tweeters...
Since I poped my tweeters I swapped them out with some LPG tweets and
that really woke them up - with 175w ea side my HEXs kick azz now
There are alot of DIY set ups that will for the same price smoke the HEXs though
if you know how to do it correctly for instance an LPG tweet with a seasG18RNX
with parts express Xovers would cost about 250-300 bucks and prolly
pwn all

bikejunkie223
10-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I actually just snagged some hex's out of a used car, so I'll be hearing them this weekend, but I can say DLS components are insanely musical and smooth, I would probably buy them if I hadn't just scored hexes for free. I also agree with everyone else, rear fill is weak, and I have a Civic SI (roughly the same interior as the RSX), and can't even hear my rear speakers. I'd use any money planned for rear fill and dump it into sweeter components, or a more gnarly amp.

OlogyAudio
10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I like HEX's.I think the newer ones come with crappy tweeters...
Since I poped my tweeters I swapped them out with some LPG tweets and
that really woke them up - with 175w ea side my HEXs kick azz now
There are alot of DIY set ups that will for the same price smoke the HEXs though
if you know how to do it correctly for instance an LPG tweet with a seasG18RNX
with parts express Xovers would cost about 250-300 bucks and prolly
pwn all

Ahhhh textbook xovers ****!!!! -- time to goto class or I'd elaborate a little more...

r1dermon
10-06-2005, 01:41 PM
focal, mb quart reference...all good. honestly, rear fill aint all that important. a good set of coax's in the back will be more than sufficient. the boston acoustics pro's are MINT though. anyone heard the z 6.5 comps? holy crap...but ouch at the price.

blue
10-06-2005, 01:47 PM

oh yea, theyre going in a sweet-*** 2005 acura RSX
Fact is ; There is no better component set than Diamond Hex , for under $250 .... There's not anything close.

r1dermon
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
250 retail that is though.

blue
10-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey Noob with an RS ....... You and I have argued on here before , and unfortunately , I see a trend with your posts ....
You ASK the more knowledgable a question , then argue with them !!! As if you know more than they do .... If so , WHY ASK AT ALL ???
I'm going to assume you are fairly young , because my 14 yr old son does the same thing ..... so let me give you the same advice I give him .... Listen twice as much as you speak , and you'll learn something.
Now , about the Hex speakers ..... You are doing your friend a dis-service .... They are GIANT killers , for their $200 price tag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can find them new on Ebay for $200 or under , and NOTHING can touch them for anything close to that price .... period.
I've owned them , and know what it takes to get world class competition sound from them ...... Boost 100 to 400 hz , and cut 5k to 7 k , and you will have VERY , VERY detailed sound that is NOT harsh. They are NOT the best I have owned , but for $200 ........ They play REAL , REAL loud , and have even better resolution capabilities than my Rainbow Profis ! Yes , believe it !
Most people that dis them , just do NOT know how to tune them , or have heard them in a system where they were not tuned correctly.
Look to spend at least $350 to equal them .......
Bottom line is : They MUST be tuned , but so did my Dynaudio , Focal , Rainbow , ect , ect .....

blue
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
250 retail that is though.
Oh yes .... without a doubt. There are other speakers that are MUCH better , but not for the $200 you have to spend on Hexs brand new on Ebay....... I recently saw them going for $179 NEW on Ebay !!!!!
FYI , Hex's retail for around $460 , or they used to anyway .....

justsayk
10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I have heard Hex's and DLS r6a's. I chose the DLS's. They can be had for around $200 shipped. It depends on what you're after though. The Hex's will get louder, but the DLS comp sets are just smooth. If you have a lot of power and want something loud that will sound pretty good, the Hex's are nice. If you have a little less power and want something a little more smooth and musical, I think the DLS is the better set.

blue
10-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I have heard Hex's and DLS r6a's. I chose the DLS's. They can be had for around $200 shipped. It depends on what you're after though. The Hex's will get louder, but the DLS comp sets are just smooth. If you have a lot of power and want something loud that will sound pretty good, the Hex's are nice. If you have a little less power and want something a little more smooth and musical, I think the DLS is the better set.
Oops .... I recently looked at the DLS Iridiums , and forgot they had less costly offerings ..... I don't know how the less costly ones would stack up.
Thanks .....

justsayk
10-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I would love to hear some iridiums. It sounds like in the case of this thread, your friend would be happier with the diamons as he is concerned with getting loud. The boston pro's would get really loud if your friend has the power (200+ watts per side). Any of these sets are going to kick *** in a good install though. I wouldn't use rear fill. I don't know if your friend understands how loud one component set can be. People that sit in the back of the car can still here the music just fine, and I don't even have much power going to my comps. Just deaden the doors well, play with placement and phases, etc. etc.

OlogyAudio
10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh yes .... without a doubt. There are other speakers that are MUCH better , but not for the $200 you have to spend on Hexs brand new on Ebay....... I recently saw them going for $179 NEW on Ebay !!!!!
FYI , Hex's retail for around $460 , or they used to anyway .....

Fact is ; There is no better component set than Diamond Hex , for under $250 .... There's not anything close.
My standard sets :) fit into that bracket barely... and thats new -- Cheapest I'm seeing those hexes on ebay currently new is 250 -- granted prices fluctuate some... but I'm looking at past auctions as well... they are dirt cheap if you get them used though :)

Never heard the DLS set though...

One of the last people who got my sets had the hexes previously along with a score of other comp sets and my premium sets smoked them all -- the standard set isn't a huge jump down in quality -- little less ultimate spl and a little less detail and less rich sounding... but still very very good.

I posted a link to this review awhile ago if you canít find itÖ just send me a pm

audiolife
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey Noob with an RS ....... You and I have argued on here before , and unfortunately , I see a trend with your posts ....
You ASK the more knowledgable a question , then argue with them !!! As if you know more than they do .... If so , WHY ASK AT ALL ???
I'm going to assume you are fairly young , because my 14 yr old son does the same thing ..... so let me give you the same advice I give him .... Listen twice as much as you speak , and you'll learn something.
Now , about the Hex speakers ..... You are doing your friend a dis-service .... They are GIANT killers , for their $200 price tag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can find them new on Ebay for $200 or under , and NOTHING can touch them for anything close to that price .... period.
I've owned them , and know what it takes to get world class competition sound from them ...... Boost 100 to 400 hz , and cut 5k to 7 k , and you will have VERY , VERY detailed sound that is NOT harsh. They are NOT the best I have owned , but for $200 ........ They play REAL , REAL loud , and have even better resolution capabilities than my Rainbow Profis ! Yes , believe it !
Most people that dis them , just do NOT know how to tune them , or have heard them in a system where they were not tuned correctly.
Bottom line is : They MUST be tuned , but so did my Dynaudio , Focal , Rainbow , ect , ect .....
the hex arent bad speakers but there are less expensive speakers that do just as good if not better. you cant say where to boost or cut that is pretty install dependant. also should say a little something when you can get a 500 dollar set retail for under 200 nib.i do agree to the extent though that the arent a bad buy though you could do alot worse

Hundreth
10-06-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Alpine Type-Xs. 200$ new on e-bay is just a sweet price for speakers which sound that good.

I will admit though I haven't heard many other great speaker sets... anyone heard the Xs against some of the other big players in that budget?

noob with an RS
10-06-2005, 08:04 PM

whoa there partner.. take it easy. first of all i never knew we argued on here before.. if anything i thought we were discussing some opinions and what-not. i never took it to a level where i felt i was arguing with you. i dont understand what u mean by "i ask a knowledgeable question and then argue" cuz quite frankly im just trying to picc up some knowledge from here on these boards.. and if i hear something that clashes with something someone else said ill bring it up and debate i guess you would say. i never came off as "im right and youre not" but it seems u have taken some things that way. i dont know. its like u want me to say BLUE IM GOING TO SAY YOURE OPINION IS THE GREATEST OF EVERYONE ELSES AND IM GOING TO DO WHATEVER YOU SAY. uhhh.. riiiight. and even if i happen to be asking a question, only to argue bacc i dont believe theres anything wrong with that.. hey, people reading this thread can learn a thing or two.. not just me... another reason i might be so "arguable" is because i believe everyone is biased in their own way and i like to keep that in mind ;) and you say look to spend 350 to equal them? well im not one to argue since i havent owned any speakers in that price range but i am going to take a gamble and disagre with u and base that on ologyaudio's words. simply put, hes claiming to sell a crossover that bundles with dayton drivers for around 300 and claims they equal to say.. iunno 500 dollar sets? so with taht being said NOT ALL OF US ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. thank you.

newb
10-07-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Alpine Type-Xs. 200$ new on e-bay is just a sweet price for speakers which sound that good.

I will admit though I haven't heard many other great speaker sets... anyone heard the Xs against some of the other big players in that budget?

I havent heard the X's but a buddy of mine has the type R's and they dont even compare to my HEX's even though they're not in the same league. Let's just say my buddy wants to get his hands on the HEX's after hearing mine.

scrappy
10-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I like the DLS I beleive the up6 would be in that price rand with the ur6 just above it. Im not sure but tplaya owuld know the exact cost. I was going to get the up6 set but they were on back order so I ended up with the ur6 I like them very nice sounding. Decent mid bass and I dont have any deadening done. I listened to the hexs and they were okay but a little harsh for me. For rear fill I got dls 226 coaxials.

Eugenics
10-07-2005, 03:37 AM
My standard sets :) fit into that bracket barely... and thats new -- Cheapest I'm seeing those hexes on ebay currently new is 250 -- granted prices fluctuate some... but I'm looking at past auctions as well... they are dirt cheap if you get them used though :)

Never heard the DLS set though...

One of the last people who got my sets had the hexes previously along with a score of other comp sets and my premium sets smoked them all -- the standard set isn't a huge jump down in quality -- little less ultimate spl and a little less detail and less rich sounding... but still very very good.

I posted a link to this review awhile ago if you canít find itÖ just send me a pm

i'll vouch for dylan 8 days of the week

Ignatowski
10-07-2005, 07:11 AM
I say let your buddy be a man and buy what he wants
and you shouldent come here bashing brands like you are an audio know it all

I personally take eveything I read here and divide by 2,half true half BS
:cool:

noob with an RS
10-07-2005, 07:15 PM
what brand did i bash? how did i come off as a know-it-all?

squeak9798
10-07-2005, 07:18 PM
i'll vouch for dylan 8 days of the week

That's quite an incredible feat.

blue
10-07-2005, 08:36 PM
whoa there partner.. take it easy. first of all i never knew we argued on here before.. if anything i thought we were discussing some opinions and what-not. i never took it to a level where i felt i was arguing with you. i dont understand what u mean by "i ask a knowledgeable question and then argue" cuz quite frankly im just trying to picc up some knowledge from here on these boards.. and if i hear something that clashes with something someone else said ill bring it up and debate i guess you would say. i never came off as "im right and youre not" but it seems u have taken some things that way. i dont know. its like u want me to say BLUE IM GOING TO SAY YOURE OPINION IS THE GREATEST OF EVERYONE ELSES AND IM GOING TO DO WHATEVER YOU SAY. uhhh.. riiiight. and even if i happen to be asking a question, only to argue bacc i dont believe theres anything wrong with that.. hey, people reading this thread can learn a thing or two.. not just me... another reason i might be so "arguable" is because i believe everyone is biased in their own way and i like to keep that in mind ;) and you say look to spend 350 to equal them? well im not one to argue since i havent owned any speakers in that price range but i am going to take a gamble and disagre with u and base that on ologyaudio's words. simply put, hes claiming to sell a crossover that bundles with dayton drivers for around 300 and claims they equal to say.. iunno 500 dollar sets? so with taht being said NOT ALL OF US ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. thank you.

Go to your user control panel ..... take a look at your posts and replies ..... It's not just with me , you do it with a lot of people ......
You ask a question , get an answer , and you refute what you're told.
You probably don't even know you are doing it ... But you are ;)

Eugenics
10-07-2005, 08:49 PM
That's quite an incredible feat.

the gods have truly blessed us odysius