PDA

View Full Version : Mids or oval coaxial in front doors?

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi i have 4 oval 3 ways coaxial in the rear of the car, i am thinking to keep only 2, and the other 2 install them in my front doors. I can cut the wire that goes to the tweeter of the coaxial cz i will use tweeters an install them in another place and i dont want too many tweeters. Using round mids ( with only mid woofer) is better? or i can put the one oval 3 ways coaxial and remove the tweeter wire, i will be left with the mid woofer and mid range. Is it a good way???

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 04:40 AM
Come on guys, someone????

camry_tuner
10-04-2005, 04:55 AM
i barely understood wut you wrote... but from what i got, you shoudl at least let us know you're budget, what you're trying to achieve soundwise. also, i think you should ditch the 6x9 or 5x7 wutever you have, and just get a nice set of comps up front, you can get baffles to fit, and either not hav rear fill, or leave a pair of coax

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 07:18 AM
what i mean is that i have 4 coaxials in the rear of my car, is it good to only keep 2 in the rear and install the other 2 in my front doors? ( one speaker/door).
I wanted to know it its ok to install a coaxial oval speaker in a door rather than the round mids. So??

Raisedin305
10-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Yeah. Just install 4 new component speakers instead of the round mids. Just get the right size.

KngOfThePkngLot
10-04-2005, 07:30 AM
wtf is an oval speaker? 5 x 7 or 6 x 9???

Raisedin305
10-04-2005, 07:32 AM
wtf is an oval speaker? 5 x 7 or 6 x 9???:laugh: not sure exactly what he means, I guess he means the circle mids

KngOfThePkngLot
10-04-2005, 07:44 AM
what kind of car do you have? why do you have 4 sets of coaxials in the rear?(seriously)...whats your budget for new speakers(cause it sounds like you need them)

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
guys the speakers that i have in the rear are 6x9 coaxial, i have 4 of them and they are three ways speakers. I was thinking if removing two of them from the rear and installing them in my front doors. isit good?? If not?, i might buy 2 sets of components for the front and keep the rear speakers. Many dont like to put too much speakers in the rear, but i like it cause i can feel the midbass shaking my back from the rear too:D:D:D

cdtizgod
10-04-2005, 12:50 PM
heres the setup that u want

one set of appropriatly sized components up front and one set of appropriatly sized coaxials in back...or nothing in the back at all

forget coaxials in the front components are waaaay better sound wise.

and keep all speakers round if possible, a lot less midrange distortion compared to ovals

tRiGgEr
10-04-2005, 12:53 PM
You only need 1 component set up front and 1 coaxil set in the rear.

Remove the extra 6x9's in the rear and get a nice comp set for the front of your car. What do you drive a 1968 280z????

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok guys, so i must buy a set of component for the front. I have a 1995 bmw series 3, i cannot put speakers in the doors though, but i am gonna buy a 1973 minicooper the little tiny car:D:D:D:D:D In my BMW i have the front speakers near my legs, bext to where the brake and gas pedales are, and there is a factory sealed enclosure, only a 51/4" components can be installed in this enclosure. 51/4" its not too small??:(:( how mush sound power can it give? when i look at the components and compare them to the oval 6x9" they seem tiny:S Or i can buy the biggest size components i think its 6.5" for my future miniccoper:DWhy guys do u prefer components rather than simple rounded one way
mids...
because it has the [assive crossover that splits frequencies between tweeter and mid? i can put a simple rounded mid and power it with an amp, and also put a tweeter and power with another channel from my amp, would it give same results of components? Thx a lot

tRiGgEr
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Read the sticky in the speaker section.

A comp set will sound much better than a standard 6x9. A 5 1/4 speaker will have plenty of output. If you power it with an external amp.

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah but i asked if i use a simple one way mid(51/4") and a tweeter, will it sound good enough??close to a component result?
i will high pass the mid with one ch of my amp and will send very high frequencies to my tweeter with the other ch of my amp.thx again:)

tRiGgEr
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah but i asked if i use a simple one way mid(51/4") and a tweeter, will it sound good enough??i will high pass the mid with one ch of my amp and will send very high frequencies to my tweeter with the other ch of my amp.thx again:)

If you can effectively run it active, yes it will sound good.

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Thx TRiGgEr, well u see i dont have enough money to buy componenets too expensive, but i can buy a tweeter and a one way 51/4" mid + i can send different frequencies to every driver, i have enough amplifiers with built in crossovers. I guess this is what u mean by run active( i must high pass the mids from my built in amp xover, and also high pass the tweeter with much higher frequencies right?) Thx again guys:D

tRiGgEr
10-04-2005, 05:45 PM
That's the general idea. But you're going to want to low pass the mid to seperate the drivers frequency range.

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Hmmmmm low pass the mids??:S well in a case of a componenet i know that we must high pass the speaker and the passive xover will split the frequencies between tweeter and mid. Also in a coaxial 6x9" we must high pass it because if we low pass it the mid range and the tweeter will be destroyed right? Its the first time
i hear that we must low pass the mid, i know we low pass a subwoofer, but a mid doesnt play frequencies low enough to be low passed:S:S:S maybe i must high pass it at 1 Khz and start turning the level and decrease frequensies till it sound good, no? low passing such a small mid, i feel it will just start to make a humming noise:S i will try it any way ( high and low pass and see which is better)

Jdizzle
10-04-2005, 09:42 PM
im still a little confused of how you have that many speakers in the rear of your car:crap:

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-05-2005, 03:53 AM
hehehe wonfused y man? these 4 speakers are 40 rms each, so not that powerfull, also i had them before i decided to install a music system in my car+ nobody would buy them from me cz they were not that powerfull, so i decided y not use all of them. I used only 2 of them first, b ut the sound was not that good, now with 4 of them my midbass is quite nice+ i will try to use some front speakers now+ a ts-w12prs pioneer sub. i will use 3 amplifiers( directed audio 1100D for hopefully two ts-w12prs subs), a profile ap1040 for my four rear speakers, and another amp for my front speakers. What i will try to do is sell the 4 rear speakers and maybe buy 1 set of decent pioneer coaxials with the yellow cone once and for all. But would it be better than using my four speakers now?:S thats what i wanna know. Thx

tRiGgEr
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Hmmmmm low pass the mids??:S well in a case of a componenet i know that we must high pass the speaker and the passive xover will split the frequencies between tweeter and mid. Also in a coaxial 6x9" we must high pass it because if we low pass it the mid range and the tweeter will be destroyed right? Its the first time
i hear that we must low pass the mid, i know we low pass a subwoofer, but a mid doesnt play frequencies low enough to be low passed:S:S:S maybe i must high pass it at 1 Khz and start turning the level and decrease frequensies till it sound good, no? low passing such a small mid, i feel it will just start to make a humming noise:S i will try it any way ( high and low pass and see which is better)

You low pass the mid @ the level your tweeter picks up at. If your tweet picks up at 4000hz then you need to low pass the mid around 4000hz. This is what the crossover on a comp set does. And if you're running active with two separate speakers, you need to do this your self. So low passing the mid is a requirement.

This is so the mid driver plays only the frequencies the tweet will not pick up. And will save you from dealing with cancellation.

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-05-2005, 05:55 PM
well yep now i know what u mean and ur right:D but the problem is that the high pass on my amp is from 40Hz to 1Khz. I will high pass it at 1Khz for the tweeter. The low pass is 40Hz to 250Hz. So obviousely the tweeter is gonna get frequencies from 1Khz and up...but also i cannot low pass the mid, even low passing it at 250Hz means that frequencies lower than 250Hz are going to pass at the mid and thats not good no?? what if 80Hz...also are passing. So in my case better to high pass both the mids and tweeter. For the tweeter the high pass level will at 1Khz, and dunno about the mids. But surely they willbe some cancelations cz frequencies higher than 1 Khz are going to go to the mids and the tweeters also:(:( Also how can i know where is my crossover level, i cant know my crossover point( 200,230.300Hz) i only know HPF ( 40-1Khz) i cannot know exactely where my tuning level is:D:D So whats the solution then?:S How can we know at waht frequency the tweeter is picking up...i guess its all by trial and error and tuning by ear:D Thx again dude

tRiGgEr
10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
You don't have the correct equipment to go active. So I recommend against it until you get the proper equalization/processing to go active.

I doubt your tweets can play that low. Normally 3500-4500 is the standard for tweets to pick up at. There are tweets that can play lower.

Do your tweets have a crossover with them, or built in???

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
10-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Well almost all built in amplifier xovers have a high pass level not more than 1.5Khz, so how are they running tweeters?? I know that a set of componenets will be the best for my case, but sice i have tweeters and mids, i though that installing them, and high pass both of them is better than having no speakers at all in the front:( or i might use an external xover, hmmm m y system is becoming complicated:S The only problem i see when high passing the mids at 250Hz is that it gonna also get the very high frequencies too, as for the tweeters its gonna get frequencies as low as 1Khz:(