PDA

View Full Version : Cant hear words:(

bamaboy
10-02-2005, 01:03 AM
well i cant hear words i guess bass is to power ful or i dont have the settings done right, take your pick, but they are rainbow slc 265 off power acoustik ov2 400 with 85x 2

now i have tweeters in the dash(stock tweeters), could these be taking some power from the rainbows or raising imdependence(sp?) should i un hook them would this help? because i just flat out cant really hear the words i can hear stuf but its just blah blah... and even at lower volumes i cant hear them, i might change tweet in crossover to + whatever, rear fill wont help me any i dont believe and the settings i have make some rock songs sound hollow i just need to figure it out

how good are alpine type r comps or jl xr's or polk momo , or re components or whoever else that are pretty cheap that will run on 85rms

DBfan187
10-02-2005, 01:07 AM
how did you set your gains?

bamaboy
10-02-2005, 01:25 AM
ihave them set by ear because i didnt have a dmm, dont really know where they are set, i set them with the sub off and made them a little louder than my back door speakers but that is prolly my problem

Raven
10-02-2005, 01:27 AM
It's gotta be the install. I have 85wrms going to my SLCs and they can be overwhelming.

bamaboy
10-02-2005, 01:41 AM
well thats deff what wrong , i just need to sit down and play with them

Raven
10-02-2005, 01:54 AM
You could nerf the sub(s). I've had to tone down my subs a lot to get them to blend with the comps. Of course, I expected no less with Lethal Injections. =)

SSS 18734
10-02-2005, 01:58 AM
don't settle for stock tweeters. A lot of voice frequencies come from the tweeters. Turn your bass down as well... especially if your listenign to something other than rap.

I've heard the Type R's perform similarly to the RE Comps... if so you wont have any problems hearing lyrics. ;)
btw the RE comps will take upwards of 100RMS daily...

Raven
10-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Oddly, the first thing I think of when I think of RE comps is harsh tweeters. I bet they'd sound great off a tube amp.

SSS 18734
10-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Oddly, the first thing I think of when I think of RE comps is harsh tweeters. I bet they'd sound great off a tube amp.

They're not too bad IMO. Granted theyre nothing special, but are still solid tweets. I listen to them daily, and at moderate to loud levels a slight adjustment of the head unit's EQ fixes everything right up. Full blast is where they get ungodly harsh though...

I've heard of instances of people turning the tweeters EQ down all the way and the mid's up all the way and still have the tweeter overpower the mid. I have no clue what that's about.

Raven
10-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Tweeters are really install dependant. You turn one 5 degrees farther off than you have it now and the sound can completely change. So it's no wonder people can make tweeters do that.

bamaboy
10-02-2005, 12:48 PM
well they are the rainbows so they should be able to get loud

chubby
10-02-2005, 12:52 PM
well they are the rainbows so they should be able to get loud

haha. wtf.

bamaboy
10-02-2005, 04:42 PM
wrong wording...they have the potential to get louder than they are now

DBfan187
10-02-2005, 04:50 PM
set your gains with reduced tones. -3dB, -6dB, -10dB...

SSS 18734
10-02-2005, 04:51 PM
set your gains with reduced tones. -3dB, -6dB, -10dB...

what would that do? wouldn't that leave your amps more likely to clip with the increased gains?

DBfan187
10-02-2005, 04:54 PM
what would that do? wouldn't that leave your amps more likely to clip with the increased gains?music is dynamic, your volume would have to be up so loud for it to clip. If you want more power out of your amps for music, the gains need to be raised. On average, when playing music you're only getting around 10% of your amps rated power when setting your gains @ 0dB.

read this (http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021713#000000) thread.

danteBirosel
10-02-2005, 05:22 PM
hmm interesting thread that it matches my problem also. I also, am having problems listening to the lyrics. There are some where its really clear, and some where it is just too nasty. I want to be able to be loud but in the same time listen to the lyrics. I have 2 seperate amps and for my 4 channel amp, each channel is set to 14 volts. What is the problem and what can i fix?

noob with an RS
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
i use to set my gains using 0db test tones. last week squeak and some others suggested i use -6db test tones to set my gains. boy am i glad i listened to them. my system is so much louder now.. and i dont even need to turn it up as much as i use to and i **** sure wouldnt want to simply becuz its TOO loud. ive got infinity perfects and a 12" idMAX. im surprised u guys are having this problem while my system is nice and clear.. but i AM lacking a certain midbass frequency range that i cant seem to fix. anyway, i think if u guys got yourself a dandy little EQ, maybe one with like 13 bands, u can eq the "tweeter ranges" some and some higher midbass to bring out vocals like ive done.. it takes time but the littlest changes make a big effect on the overall sound and i love it! oh yea, i would maybe turn my sub's gain down a little cuz im pretty sure most people crank their sub amps up higher than they should because they love the bass, yet dont know how much theyre drowning out their comps (assuming their speakers are crossed over where the sub leaves off)

danteBirosel
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
hmm thats interesting. Currently i am bumping on the feature "LOUD" and BASS: +2 and my bass sounds great. But and then again the sound is horrible out of my 6x8s. It is hard to explain but the sounds is nasty but the bass i am getting out of my subs is beautiful. Is this a problem that i gotta fix in my 4-channel amp? i supposdly set my gains to 14v but dropped it a bit.

What is causing this horrible sound? It's that sound when your listening to the words, you just want to turn down the volume because of how nasty it sounds. It is even sometimes embarassing. :crap:

noob with an RS
10-05-2005, 09:56 PM
its the fact that u have the LOUD setting on.. and maybe cuz the additional fact that your bass is +2. how bout u turn that LOUD setting off and set the bass to +0 then turn the subwoofer amp's gain up some to compensate.

danteBirosel
10-05-2005, 10:46 PM
hmmm.. so is it a bad thing if i have this LOUD setting on?

Because from doing a listen check, it seems to be a bit clear when the loud setting is on. And when it is off, it sounds like the quality is from the radio. AM radio :eek:

noob with an RS
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
i think u need to keep the LOUD setting off and make some otehr adjustments. did u set your crossover properly? u may need to turn it down or up some.