PDA

View Full Version : my recipe for nicely primed cabinets

PV Audio
10-01-2005, 10:50 PM
being as there are different finishes as far as painting goes, you can decide what style of topcoat u want to use. this is the technique i'm using now, and it is working EXCELLENT. so here goes!

1. make sure that you sand all edges and imperfections BEFORE you begin priming.
2. sand entire cabinet in 50 grit sand paper (should feel very rough)
3. tack entire cabinet

now, while you are doing this, someone else needs to (or u can make this before or after yourself) make what i call Glue Wash. this is a very necessary item in the priming process. some people like dedicated sealers, some like resin. having tried both now, i find this is best. here is the recipe:

1 empty glue bottle
1 bottle of titebond 2 or elmer's probond wood glue
1 bottle of titebond III

1. fill the empty bottle about 1.5-1.75 inches full of equal parts of titebond 2 and titebond III
2. add 1 inch of water
3. shake vigorously
*the consistency should be in between cream and the original glue. you can test it by dropping a drop of the mixture onto the ground or into the pan. if the mixture spatters far, it is too thin. if it just kinda slaps the ground, it's too thick. it should drip nicely and make a small splash, but not too large*

now it is time to begin the glue wash:

1. pour some of the wash into a paint tray
2. using a foam roller, apply a light coat of wash
3. immediately apply a heavier coat over it before it dries
4. wait until the coat dries and sand with 120 grit sand paper

repeat the following steps with 120, 220 and 320 grit sand paper which makes three coats of wash. tack down the cabinet well and it should feel like glass. if you are wondering why you use different types of glue, i have found that titebond II dries TOO hard and can actually become brittle after many coats. titebond III does not get dry ENOUGH so it is a PITA to sand, but is baby smooth. thus we have compromised hardness with baby smooth surfaces.

it is now time to begin the priming process. i personally enjoy rustoleum primer as it is in convienient spray form and dries very quickly. onto the directions.

1. if you sanded the last glue wash coat with 320 (320 before application, then AGAIN after as though to add another coat) you are ready to begin. if not, then you must sand it down again so that the primer sticks well.

2. spray a light pass of primer over one side of the cabinet, making sure to go down once, and up once thus making an even coat.

3. once this coat dries, sand with 220 grit paper.

4. repeat step 2 and sand with 320 grit paper

5. repeat until you have a 220 sanded coat, a 320 sanded coat, a 400 sanded coat and a final coat that should be finish sanded with 600 grit

by the end of the process, the cabinets should be VERY, VERY smooth, almost as if they were urethane (think bowling ball). you can begin to apply whichever paint you choose, but remember to keep the coats even, even, EVEN. i actually wound up sanding off three coats of primer because they became messed up in the end. will have pics for the worklog tomorrow of the primed cabinets. if anyone else has tips, suggestions or corrections, post them and i'll edit/add them.

:)