PDA

View Full Version : Snailshell questions

seth350
10-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Ive been seeing alot of people using a Snailshell enclosure.
And reall the only thing that I see from just looking at it, the only difference is the \/ at the end of the port inside the box.

I was just curious if this makes it any louder?
What does the \/ do when you add it to the port?
Does it affect the SQ any?
By adding the \/, would there be any different calculations to the port length?
How would you calculate how big to make the \/?
Would an RE SX 15" benefit more from a snailshell then a regular slot ported box?

Thanks in advance :)
-Seth

chinny
10-01-2005, 01:26 PM
the \/ is part of the design... increases efficiency on the driver

seth350
10-01-2005, 01:47 PM
So it would make it louder than a normal slot port and any driver would benefit by using this design?

But is SQ affected any?

PV Audio
10-01-2005, 01:58 PM
all the snailshell is a horn loaded enclosure made expensive.

squeak9798
10-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Seriously. Do a search.

It's been discussed at length on multiple forums (including this one)

jellyfish420
10-01-2005, 02:29 PM
the V makes the throat. snailshells are more for SQ then SPL. you could get louder w/ a properly designed ported box. and its not just a horn, its a cross between a rear horn and a TWQP...

vasilios
10-01-2005, 02:38 PM
snailshells are more for SQ then SPL. you could get louder w/ a properly designed ported box.

i beg to differ.

my xxx used to be in a 4^3 ported box tuned to 30-32hz...was a solid, solid box.

dont know why, but in the snail shell, it plays noticeably louder.

seth350
10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Seriously. Do a search.

It's been discussed at length on multiple forums (including this one)

Sorry but I have questions that I couldn't find answered in the searches.

Forgive me for wasting precious bandwidth and your oh so precious time. :)
God forbid anyone ask a question thats been "discussed" before but not answered. :naughty:

Why must you tell me anyways, instead of wasting your time, dont even come in my thread. So see...im doing you a favor. :D:veryhapp:

Trancer
10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Snailshells normaly produce a flatter response with increased SPL overall. Hence the louder effect with great SQ

PV Audio
10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
i'd just make a regular alignment, no need for snail shells for the money.

mikescanlon
10-01-2005, 07:17 PM
i'd just make a regular alignment, no need for snail shells for the money.

shush you broke *** black man

build you a snailshell and you'll thank the snails around the world for thier ingenious design.

unless you're poor, then stay away, cause you gotta make it like three times to get a good one, unless you're a pro snailman.

jellyfish420
10-02-2005, 02:05 AM
i beg to differ.

my xxx used to be in a 4^3 ported box tuned to 30-32hz...was a solid, solid box.

dont know why, but in the snail shell, it plays noticeably louder.
i'm sorry if you misunderstood me...if your going for "just" loudness, you can get a reg ported box to peak higher on a mic. as where the snail isn't gonna peak as high...but is gonna have a flatter responce, w/ less of a roll off. . . . i think i just confused myself now. all in all, its a loud sq box.

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry but I have questions that I couldn't find answered in the searches.

Forgive me for wasting precious bandwidth and your oh so precious time. :)
God forbid anyone ask a question thats been "discussed" before but not answered. :naughty:

:rolleyes:

It's been discussed at length and answered on every major forum. It's not my fault you are too incompetent to find them.

Pyro_By_Nature
10-04-2005, 12:07 AM
the \/ is part of the design... increases efficiency on the driver

You're a moron, and you have no idea what the A-board does.

JimJ
10-04-2005, 12:09 AM
:laugh:

Some people here are funny :)

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
You're a moron, and you have no idea what the A-board does.
or, instead of being an ***, why not educate him instead? ever think about that?

Pyro_By_Nature
10-04-2005, 12:31 AM
or, instead of being an ***, why not educate him instead? ever think about that?

I have, yes.He'd still find some way to mis-inform people.

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 01:15 AM
you'll never be better than your enemies unless you can come to terms with them.

seth350
10-04-2005, 02:02 AM
:rolleyes:

It's been discussed at length and answered on every major forum. It's not my fault you are too incompetent to find them.

Well maybe you should go through great lengths to ban people with learning disabilities from this forum.
And you might as well start with me, b/c I have one and I am dreadfully sorry for having one.
I'll be sure to pick better traits next time Im born, ok?
I guess thats where I veered in life.....

Anyways,
I couldnt understand how other people explained it and I was hoping someone here could explain it in my terms.

Again, I am deeply sorry for being "incompetent"....

JimJ
10-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Well maybe you should go through great lengths to ban people with learning disabilities from this forum.
And you might as well start with me, b/c I have one and I am dreadfully sorry for having one.
I'll be sure to pick better traits next time Im born, ok?
I guess thats where I veered in life.....

Anyways,
I couldnt understand how other people explained it and I was hoping someone here could explain it in my terms.

Again, I am deeply sorry for being "incompetent"....

In order to have a worthwhile discussion, people need to have some level of mutual understanding of terms...what couldn't you understand about their explanations?

Eugenics
10-04-2005, 02:14 AM
you'll never be better than your enemies unless you can come to terms with them.

glad to see gary has time to do some motivational speaking

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-04-2005, 02:15 AM

lol.. And he mis-spelled a word too, I believe it should be "can't come to terms"

Pistonsfan70
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't know much about boxes but I talked to Coop at Diamond Audio and he said the snail shell box (the Pdf files is on diamondaudio.com) is the best box possible for that sub in terms of SQ AND SPL. My local shop is doing it for $100 since I bought the D9 from them already.
I get it on Saturday! Can't wait

PV Audio
10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
he's calling him a complete moron and *******, but won't help him out? makes him even worse :)

ruckus
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
I have, yes.He'd still find some way to mis-inform people.
in other words he has no idea either ;)

ngsm13
10-04-2005, 03:35 PM
:laugh:

Some people here are funny :)

I concur.