PDA

View Full Version : eclipse Tel-Mute problem

wErd
09-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I just installed my eclipse 8443 after months of waiting and it is an awesome deck with plenty of options(most i havent even begun to learn yet). But sometimes i'll be ridin down the road and the "tel-mute" will appear. this throws me off because i dont even have that wire hooked up, i dont know what to hook it up to.....ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

And another "problem" is that when i turn my parking/headlights on the display on the screen flashes. But this really isnt that bad because i can just disconnect the illuminate wire and call it a day.

Other than these two little things i absolutly love this Headunit, it sounds so clear and crisp at high volumes and i still have the stock speakers in my 2000 Ford Focus.

KaeZoo
09-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Your tel-mute shouldn't be hooked up to anything; it needs to be capped off. It activates the tel-mute feature when it's grounded, so it sounds like it's shorting out intermittently. Just make sure it's taped off and not pinched.

LBX2G
09-28-2005, 05:18 PM
And another "problem" is that when i turn my parking/headlights on the display on the screen flashes. But this really isnt that bad because i can just disconnect the illuminate wire and call it a day.

what do u mean it flashes. Does it dim of flash like a strobe light.

wErd
09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
it will go from a brighter level to a dimmer level and it flashes randomly.

iceteebone
09-28-2005, 11:07 PM
check your wiring and make sure it is connected good.

LBX2G
09-28-2005, 11:09 PM
it will go from a brighter level to a dimmer level and it flashes randomly.

yeah is seems like u do not have alot of wires to secure. how did u install the cd player.

02Corvette
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I have one question for you and I think we all here will know what the answer is....

Honestly, did you just twist the wires, then use tape? If so, have an installer solder all your wires and use heat-shrink over the connections. Anything less is a butcherjob that I would be embarassed to do for somebody.

mikegett
09-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Check the wires as suggested. Pay special attention to the 12 volt power line. You may concider having autozone check your battery and altenator. The display on those units require a constant 12 volts. I have had my altenator do strange things in my car when it started to die. One of the first indications was a HU that operated abnormaly.

LBX2G
09-29-2005, 02:36 AM
I have one question for you and I think we all here will know what the answer is....

Honestly, did you just twist the wires, then use tape? If so, have an installer solder all your wires and use heat-shrink over the connections. Anything less is a butcherjob that I would be embarassed to do for somebody.
well to tell u the truth, that is how i hook up all the cars the I wire up. If u tape it right it works pretty well.

02Corvette
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
well to tell u the truth that is how i hook up all the cars the I wire up. If u tape it right it works pretty well.
I would love to SET UP A POLL on here to see how many people just twist and tape the wires of HU's! It's funny you said that...I just bought a $600+ Eclipse HU from another guy who had all top of the line stuff and I also noticed his was the same way. I would bet most don't do it right.

3.5Max6spd
09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
I would love to SET UP A POLL on here to see how many people just twist and tape the wires of HU's! It's funny you said that...I just bought a $600+ Eclipse HU from another guy who had all top of the line stuff and I also noticed his was the same way. I would bet most don't do it right.

barrel connectors work just fine...

02Corvette
09-29-2005, 11:46 AM
barrel connectors work just fine...
You're right, but over time from vibrations they can wiggle loose. It's still a lot better than twisting/taping.

3.5Max6spd
09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
You're right, but over time from vibrations they can wiggle loose. It's still a lot better than twisting/taping.

So can a poorly solder joint, since we are playing devil's advocate. If someone has a barrel connector 'jiggle loose' on them, then they should ask for a hand grip exerciser for xmas....never had one connection fail in 10yrs...

02Corvette
09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
So can a poorly solder joint, since we are playing devil's advocate. If someone has a barrel connector 'jiggle loose' on them, then they should ask for a hand grip exerciser for xmas....never had one connection fail in 10yrs...
I'm just saying if you had access to all 3 methods, it would be best to properly solder then heat-shrink it.
#1 solder
#2 crimp
#3 twist

wErd
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
yea i did just twist the wires then wrap them in electrical tape. I dont have access to a soldering gun. Plus the only real reason i put the CD player in myself is because the stock radio was just a cassette player/am/fm radio. I just couldnt stand it.

I capped off the telmute wire and it works fine now.

iceteebone
09-29-2005, 05:22 PM
i just tape the connections and it works fine. never had a wire come loose in about the 4+ years i've been installing headunits.

mikegett
09-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I use molex connectors. I never solder a wire terminal. A properly crimped connection is just as good as a sodered joint. Concidering the lack of soldering experience that most users have, they will most likely get a cold joint that will raise resistance and possibly fail in the future.

95Eclipse
09-29-2005, 10:16 PM

anyone who buys a headunit period, let alone a 600 + radio had better either install it the correct way... IE crimp caps, solider, barrell connectors... or had better not do it at all, I have seen toooooo many people waste money doing **** the incorrect way... IE, guy brought in a Eclipse 8053 to get looked @.. lil beat up, but W/E... I benched it 1st to make sure, and sure nuff, power, no LED display... I asked how it was hooked up, he said a buddy of his put it in with nothing but DUCT tape...

I told him it would cost him more to get the LED display fixed, than what he paid for it... *used* not new...

but anyway, just a suggestion to anyone who thinks they can install, can install, or w/e... my moto... "Do it right or don't do it @ all!