PDA

View Full Version : Best Sounding Budget Tweeters

azazel
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
A few of you are probably familiar with my quest for a new audio setup as was discussed in one of my previous threads. I feel pretty confident in my woofer selection, and now I need to look for some tweeters. My goal is thus: I want to build a small, cheap, decent sounding, audio setup in which I can replace any broken or stolen parts cheaply and easily. I don't want to mess with losing hundreds of dollars in stereo equipment anymore.

This system will be going into a Mazda Miata. That is why all I need are 6.5" speakers and tweeters.

As of now I have:
Pioneer DEH-P8MP
Resonant Engineering RE Series 6.5" component set (one woofer is fried/defective - I will be replacing these)
Profile California 400SX amplifier (100W x 2 RMS @ 4 ohm)

I will probably be replacing the woofers with some Silver Flute 6.5" 4 ohm woofers.

It would be the RE tweeters that I'm looking at replacing now. They work and everything, but they aren't anything stellar as far as tweeters go. I placed the tweeters in my outer air vents and they are just a tad too small. I made custom rings to make them fit. I think a 1" dome tweeter would fit perfectly.

What kind of 1" dome tweeters (similar in form to the Infinity 1" tweeters) can I get for under about $30 that sound really good? I'm looking for a very detailed sound, but not too harsh. Just throw some ideas at me; I just need to know where to look!

I listen to a lot of light rock like Dave Matthews Band if that helps any too.

cdtizgod
09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
there are no tweets u can buy anywhere for 30 dollars that will sound good at all.

unless the thief steals ur whole car, i doubt he'll make off with ur tweeters...spend a lil it pays off ;)

desertheat
09-26-2005, 11:50 PM
there are no tweets u can buy anywhere for 30 dollars that will sound good at all.

unless the thief steals ur whole car, i doubt he'll make off with ur tweeters...spend a lil it pays off ;)

If you can find a set of the aura mr1 tweeters that were sold on here for less than $30 a pair then what you just said makes you look like an idiot :)

Raven
09-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Only if buy a set and both work. ;)

simon21
09-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Madisound.com

Eugenics
09-27-2005, 03:15 AM
are you kidding me? partsxpress

Ignatowski
09-27-2005, 06:16 AM
LPG's at Madisound or Solen

squeak9798
09-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Knowing what crossover point that RE crossover uses is going to be vital :)

Likewise, as with the midwoofer discussion a few days ago....you'll need to find the same impedance tweeter.

GSteg
09-27-2005, 05:55 PM
http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=841939&Category_Code=P1Dome

Looks familiar? ;)

I believe Adire Audio modified these to make their Koda tweets. :)

ToyTundra
09-27-2005, 06:40 PM
^^I run those, but i'm not thrilled. They're not as soft as i expected....

GSteg
09-27-2005, 07:02 PM
What freq. do you have them crossed at and how are the tweeters pointed?

Do you have an EQ on them? I've always used these budget tweeters on many of my friend's installs and they sound great with an EQ on them. Usually I would have to drop 8.0khz-14.0khz about -2db to get them sounding less peaky. This is if they are directly on-axis

ToyTundra
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
They're on a crappy passive xo @ 3.5kHz. They are pointed straigh across because they are a hair smaller than the door's factory tweeter hole. I'm not going to tweak positioning until i go active (put them in the sails?).

No eq; Coiloovers and upper control arms are more important

I guess i'm jumping to conclusions if they aren't all the way installed....

newtitan
09-27-2005, 07:15 PM
lpg 25nga textile 37 each at madisound.com

very NICE

or dayton RS tweeters 46 each

Hook Me Up
09-27-2005, 07:18 PM
The best sounding budget speakers in my mind are the new infinity series. They are affordable and very good in quality.

There subs however - ****

GSteg
09-27-2005, 08:51 PM
They're on a crappy passive xo @ 3.5kHz. They are pointed straigh across because they are a hair smaller than the door's factory tweeter hole. I'm not going to tweak positioning until i go active (put them in the sails?).

No eq; Coiloovers and upper control arms are more important

I guess i'm jumping to conclusions if they aren't all the way installed....

I'm guessing they dont sound as soft is because of the upper end frequency. if you see the graph on that link i posted, you'll see there is a large peak after 8khz. sibilancee usually occurs arounnd 5-10khz and if it peaks anywhere in there, it'll sound unsmooth ;)

But for $13 each, i like using them:D

ToyTundra
09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
i wasn't smart enough to look at the graph before purchasing... i got all excited because they looked just like the koda tweets for 1/5 of the price. maybe an EQ should go on "the list."

thanks GSteg

azazel
09-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hook Me Up - What model of tweeters are you suggesting? The 1011T or the 1001T or some of the tweeters that come with the components?

I'll try looking at the LPG's. They look pretty close to what I want, though the Infinity speakers physically look like exactly what I want. I'm just concerned with them being too bright.

AznRevlAzn
09-28-2005, 10:53 AM
eheh i would recommend the products desert has, i have 3 sets of slik dome auras and I love them. They don;t have that annoying dinging high ptch noises, no distortion, and best of all i got them for 16 for each pair, and yes, all three pairs are in my car :D

cdtizgod
09-28-2005, 01:08 PM
**** i had no idea so many people run inexpensive tweets and love them....maybe ill try some with my bro's car

azazel
09-28-2005, 06:28 PM
AznRevlAzn,
What kind of mounting stuff is included with the Aura tweets? My brother bought some from desertheat and it looked like the tweeters were cut off of a bridge or something. He sold them before I really got a chance to hear them.

ngsm13
09-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Vifa 1" Textile Dome Autosound tweeters. Fs of 1700hz I believe, 30rms, 6ohm (not need for attenuation), and mine were around $60 shipped with angle mounts (have to order separate).

www.madisound.com

NG

OlogyAudio
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Vifa 1" Textile Dome Autosound tweeters. Fs of 1700hz I believe, 30rms, 6ohm (not need for attenuation), and mine were around $60 shipped with angle mounts (have to order separate).

www.madisound.com

NG

Someone was kind enough to point out this tweeter to me the other day:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6438457.3801&pid=1325

Simply awesome -- the downside... mounting is harder and no grill... but it is well awesome :) Super low linear and nonlinear distortion -- reasonable output

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6438457.3801&pid=1304

Is nice too from people's experiences... but no numbers that I've seen atleast...

The first one is obviously more robust (lower fs, more xmax), more sensitive, better power handling...

I have a dealer account with madisound so I can pass some savings along to this friendly fourm :)

If anyone ever wants to set up a group buy of anything I can arrange something... many things have a huge price break at ethr 20 or 50 units...

PS Seas TDFC/TBFC are awesome larger faceplate tweeters if you can manage that...

ngsm13
09-28-2005, 11:26 PM
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6438457.3801&pid=1304

That's what I use. Recommended by Adire Audio to match with Extremis's for in car...on a reasonable budget.

NG

headknocker
09-29-2005, 02:36 AM
I've been a big Aura fan since '98 and I have to agree about the MR1 tweets that desertheat was selling earlier in the year. Unfortunately, you can't find them anymore and anyone lucky enough to snag a pair from dh should consider themselves lucky.

The MR1 silk dome tweets are/were sweeeet. They're bright,detailed and airy but they also have a tinge of warmth in their sonic character. They sound awesome on acoustic guitar and piano material.

To answer an earlier question. Yes, the ones dh was selling came from Aura's Mobile Reference Integrated comps line(the MR62's, I think) which featured an angled tweeter bridge. You simply had to cut the tweeter off with a rotary tool.

I have 3-4 spare pairs of MR1 tweeters but I ain't selling any of them;)

volonau
09-29-2005, 12:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-FNQ-4401X-FANATIC-1-TWEETERS_W0QQitemZ5814130766QQcategoryZ14943QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

azazel
09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-FNQ-4401X-FANATIC-1-TWEETERS_W0QQitemZ5814130766QQcategoryZ14943QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's tempting, but how do they sound? I don't know much about RF tweeters.

OlogyAudio
09-29-2005, 02:02 PM
That's tempting, but how do they sound? I don't know much about RF tweeters.
Just a hunch but the vifa prolly sound a load better :) -- thn again I don't trust any hard domes that I don't know all about and I know next to nothing about those RF tweeters... At that price though they likely aren't bad (considering) :) -- but the ones mentioned before are -- well better in all likelyhood...

azazel
09-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I figured as much. I'm going to see if my brother still has those Aura tweets.

volonau
09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
I smoked out one of my original Rockford T1 inverted aluminum dome tweeters by using an electronic xover on them. I had a ground pop on the left channel and wham. The reason I had them with the electronic xover was I thought they were alittle bright.

I ordered 4 of the last years fanatic inverted aluminum dome tweeters and find them to be much sweeter then this years T1's.
Would highly recomend.
Also the set comes with mid and tweeter xover.

azazel
09-30-2005, 08:02 AM
volonau,

Do the crossovers on those tweeters also have a low pass side for woofers?

Ignatowski
09-30-2005, 08:16 AM
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536

I swapped my Diamond Hex tweeters for LPGs
which cost like 60 bucks
and they pwned the HEX tweets!

volonau
09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Yes it does have the mid woofer hook up. I use it with my MB Quart 116's and they sound great.

25mm Voice Coil

3,200 Hz Butterworth 24 dB / Octave Crossovers Included

Flush, Wedge, and Surface Mount Hardware Included

Tweeter Phase Selection

0/-3/-6 dB Level Attenuation

Daul Tweeter Protection

http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/2/2/3/3/0/TroyV105.jpg

loserpunk
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
That's what I use. Recommended by Adire Audio to match with Extremis's for in car...on a reasonable budget.

NG

good match for a pair of xxx mids then i'm assuming?

OlogyAudio
09-30-2005, 11:48 AM
good match for a pair of xxx mids then i'm assuming?

I hardly think it is a proper match for the XXX or extremis... just me though... 2 much linear distortion on the extremis/xxx in the midrange... only good in a 3 way -- or with a horn tweeter -- or a good ribbon that will cross low...

azazel
09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes it does have the mid woofer hook up. I use it with my MB Quart 116's and they sound great.

25mm Voice Coil

3,200 Hz Butterworth 24 dB / Octave Crossovers Included

Flush, Wedge, and Surface Mount Hardware Included

Tweeter Phase Selection

0/-3/-6 dB Level Attenuation

Daul Tweeter Protection

http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/2/2/3/3/0/TroyV105.jpg

Wow, if this is the case that is a REALLY good deal. I'm going to have to seriously look into these. The crossover point *might* be a little bit high for my woofers, but I'll see.

Thank you for the picture, by the way. RF seems to be making a lot of their newer products with "hidden connections" that make it difficult to tell what you're getting online.

azazel
09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I see that flush, wedge, and surface mount hardware is included. Are any of these similar to a swivel mount? I like to be able to swivel my tweeters so I can aim them perfectly.

headknocker
09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I figured as much. I'm going to see if my brother still has those Aura tweets.

I hope you can still get your hands on the Aura tweeters. If so, play around with them a bit. Mine are part of their MR6.1 comps and I wasn't pleased when I connected them to the 0dB setting on the crossover...WAY too bright for my taste. The -3 dB setting was another matter....PERFECT.

volonau
09-30-2005, 02:58 PM
The RF's come with a flush mount and a angled mount.

azazel
10-02-2005, 10:25 PM
The RF's come with a flush mount and a angled mount.

Would there be some way I could get a swivel mount for them?

duckfart
10-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I bought a pair of 6.5 CDT components for less than 100 on ebay. In my opinion they have one of the nicest sounding tweeter on a budget. Gets loud , doesnt distort, clear n crisp , and It's not harsh on the ears ( silk tweeter ).