PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Goldwood?

azazel
09-24-2005, 09:58 AM
I've been looking at these cheapo speakers to slap into my car:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-308&ctab=3#Tabs

I searched the forum for them and no one recommended them. No one had even mentioned hearing them. Everyone just assumed that they were not good speakers. Why is that? I can't see anything wrong with them, the specs look good and the frequency response looks fine as well. I'm not worried about it being overrated as far as power handling because I won't likely push it that hard.

So does anyone know anything about these speakers?

AzGrower
09-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Well I think one of the reasons you wont see them mentioned on here is that most people here are "parrots on the bandwagon" and only regurgitate what they read about. So most of the speakers you will see on place like PE are not mainstream.

Having said that, dont be worried about a speaker only costing pennies on the dollar compared to the brand name ones. I just got in my SEAS CA18s which are around $60 a pop and are very comparible to my Dynaudio mw160s that cost close to $300 each. So a small pricetag doesnt necessarily mean its a cheapo product.

If you go to www.solen.ca and look up a brand named Silver Flute, they make a remarkable 6.5" driver that will astound you for a $15 speaker. This thing is well made and is a heavy sum-bish. Since you are on PE anyway, look at the Dayton RS 7" driver, cost is about $37 or so and this little monster is comparible to Focal drivers, which cost 10X the $$.

iceteebone
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
i guess you can't go wrong for the price. i'm gonna be installing some of those do it yourself drivers. look into peerless, vifa, morel, seas etc. also go to www.madisound.com for more options.

Ignatowski
09-24-2005, 11:54 AM
buy it and let us know how it sounds

THINK OUT OF THE BOX

squeak9798
09-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Well I think one of the reasons you wont see them mentioned on here is that most people here are "parrots on the bandwagon" and only regurgitate what they read about. So most of the speakers you will see on place like PE are not mainstream.

Yes. None of us here know anything. Thank god you graced us with your presence, all knowing one.

Speaking of bandwagons.......

I just got in my SEAS CA18s

As to the Goldwoods. Give them a shot. See if you like them. For the price, even if you don't like them you aren't out much.

3.5Max6spd
09-24-2005, 03:28 PM

:laugh:

flakko
09-24-2005, 03:29 PM

lol

iagrdshaka
09-24-2005, 03:52 PM
I've been looking at these cheapo speakers to slap into my car:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-308&ctab=3#Tabs

I searched the forum for them and no one recommended them. No one had even mentioned hearing them. Everyone just assumed that they were not good speakers. Why is that? I can't see anything wrong with them, the specs look good and the frequency response looks fine as well. I'm not worried about it being overrated as far as power handling because I won't likely push it that hard.

So does anyone know anything about these speakers?

I have 2 of those woofers! ;) But they have been sitting in my garage since June. And I havent installed them yet. :crap:

azazel
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks a ton of the replies guys. Those other websites mentioned have some very good prices!

I drive a convertible so top of the line sound quality isn't super important. Also, I want cheap things because convertibles tend to get broken into and I don't want to lose $400 in stereo equipment to a theif (happened once with my head unit).

I currently have Resonant Engineering RE Series 6.5" Components. I don't know what happened, but one of my woofers fried (never even turned them up, voice coil defect I think). When the speaker went, it shorted out the channel and fried my amp. I sent the amp (Profile) back in for repair and they repaired it, no questions asked. I was amazed. I tried doing the same thing with the faulty RE speakers and I just got interrogated about them for 20 minutes by a hard to understand foreign dude. They told me that they would probably charge for the repairs, even though it was under warranty because it sounded like I had blown it (overpowered it). I didn't have my receipt anymore and I was sick of messing with RE so I just decided to move on and never make that mistake again. Hence, the cheap, replaceable speaker search.

The Silver Flute speakers look quite nice. The 6.5" equivalent is 17 cm though, and those run about $22, which still isn't bad. I'm looking for specs on them, but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know? Here's the one I'm looking at:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7964769.22086&pid=1078

I'm also looking at the Audax 6.5" woofer. It looks to be a pretty decent woofer. What do you guys think?
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3952785.29677&pid=1800

Eugenics
09-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes. None of us here know anything. Thank god you graced us with your presence, all knowing one.

zing!

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 04:15 PM
hey.....glad u stumbled on this thread. i have 4 of those sitting in my room from my speaker destruction video (obviously removed prior....) and i'll give them to u for 30+ ship (price of two with shipping).

azazel
09-24-2005, 04:41 PM
lemans23, do you have any pictures? Are you talking about the Goldwoods or one of the other speakers mentioned?

Do you have a link to your speaker destruction videos? Sounds interesting.

6spdcoupe
09-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Speaking of bandwagons...

I just loved watching people get owned :laugh:

azazel
09-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Wow! I looked at the graphs for those Silver Flute speakers and they have an amazingly flat frequency response from about 50-5000 hz. Mighty impressive compared to the other cheapo speakers I've been looking at. I think I'll seriously consider those.

azazel
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
AZGrower, that 7" Dayton that you mention has a 8 ohm impedance. Would this affect anything if I used it with my RE crossovers which are made for a 4 ohm impedance?

squeak9798
09-25-2005, 01:25 PM
AZGrower, that 7" Dayton that you mention has a 8 ohm impedance. Would this affect anything if I used it with my RE crossovers which are made for a 4 ohm impedance?

Yes, it would change the crossover frequency (the crossover frequency would double). So, if it has a 2500hz crossover frequency with the 4ohm driver....it would be 5000hz with an 8ohm driver.

Not a good thing.

azazel
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks squeak. I'll make sure to get a 4 ohm speaker.

johnecon2001
09-25-2005, 02:03 PM
it would change just about everything. I would run an active setup if you want to start mixing and matching components. Get a good active crossover or a deck that does it for you.

PV Audio
09-25-2005, 02:08 PM
lemans23, do you have any pictures? Are you talking about the Goldwoods or one of the other speakers mentioned?

Do you have a link to your speaker destruction videos? Sounds interesting.
lemme take some real quick :)

azazel
09-25-2005, 04:53 PM
What kinda of active crossovers would you guys recommend? Keep in mind that I'm on a really limited budget here. I don't want to spend as much on crossovers as I am on speakers.

squeak9798
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Not only would you need an active crossover (~$100), you would also need atleast 4 channels of amplification.

azazel
09-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Ergh, that's too much money. I think I'll just see how this sounds and if I want to change it, I'll do the calculations and change the capacitors/inductors if I need to. I'm an electrical engineer so I have plenty of parts.

squeak9798
09-25-2005, 06:00 PM
You're an electrical engineer, but you had to ask us if using an 8ohm mid on a 4ohm crossover would change anything :eyebrow:

thch
09-25-2005, 06:14 PM
i've never really taken goldwood too seriously. mainly because of:

*Fs: 55 Hz *
*Vas: .50 cu. ft. *
* Qts: .71 *
* Xmax: 2.5 mm *

though i guess its not too bad for a car system including a subwoofer. might want to put em in doors or the rear deck.

azazel
09-25-2005, 06:24 PM
You're an electrical engineer, but you had to ask us if using an 8ohm mid on a 4ohm crossover would change anything :eyebrow:

Theory is often much different than reality. Double checking with people who are experienced in the reality of the matter is the best way to know the true nature of the subject at hand.

DBfan187
09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
sounds like a sig.

OlogyAudio
09-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Ergh, that's too much money. I think I'll just see how this sounds and if I want to change it, I'll do the calculations and change the capacitors/inductors if I need to. I'm an electrical engineer so I have plenty of parts.

You can't just do that... I spent about a month designing and tweaking the component sets that I sell using the Dayton RS 7" Midwoofer and the Dayton RS tweeter... and I'm hardly a stranger to xover design :yumyum:

Those RS drivers are the least well behaved drivers that I have ever worked with... period... I've heard many reports of people trying to run them active and thinking the midrange sounds crummy... due to their horrible failure in tuning them :)

BTW Dayton RS in my book are better than any Focal I have ever heard... Never heard the Focal Be drivers though...

Also goldwood is fairly nice for the money :) -- good budget units... Infact I kind of want to make a component set with those and the Dayton RS Neo tweeter :) PS they are rly about 2dB less efficent than PE says... check out the frequency response graph... I don't know people may end up liking the peaky response more... toggle switch anyone -- peaky over 1.5khz vs... more linear? I may be able to keep the xovers pretty simple and inexpensive... talk about low parts costs :)

Ran 4th order or higher -- active -- 1.6khz xover point -- 31 bands of EQ (for each driver is best) and knowing whats going on would be awesome.... but costly...

A properly designed passive network though = almost as good and saves you a lot of time and money :)

If you are capable of assembling the xover yourself that would save you even more money :) -- however I doubt that your part sources and piles of stuff you have laying about -- will get you the parts you need... madisound or Partsexpress = your friend :)

azazel
09-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Dylan, that was very insightful. Since my final goal here is not to have the ultimate SQ system out there, I'll take my chances and see what happens. Hopefully I can tune to my liking through my head unit if necessary.

I'm considering pairing whatever speakers I get (right now it looks like the Silver Flutes) with a pair of 1" Infinity tweeters. All of the Infinity tweeters that I have heard sound very clean and precise to me. The only problem is the price. I'm having trouble finding a cheap pair. Maybe someone has a pair from a component set lying around? If someone could suggest a pair of cheap tweeters that sounds similar that would be great too. If anything I can always stick with my RE tweeters.