PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Boxes?

SofaKingSic96
09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Sorry I'm a newbie to all this so don't laugh. What do you guys actually mean when you ask what the box is tuned too? And how do you go about checking the tuning and changing it. I want to make my box get lower. I have a ported bandpass with 3 12" L7's.

PhatTonyDeMarco
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
You cant just change the tuning of your box. Tuning is determined by the box size, and port area. If you have a bandpass box in the first place, get rid of it. Have someone make you a box for your subs, or get someone to design one.

:search: next time

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
its a ported bandpass if that makes any difference. The port goes straght to the port cut out in my rear dash. For the car I have those boxes get the best sound.(from what Ive heard) I have a 96 Impala.

PhatTonyDeMarco
09-24-2005, 12:22 AM
its a ported bandpass if that makes any difference. The port goes straght to the port cut out in my rear dash. For the car I have those boxes get the best sound.(from what Ive heard) I have a 96 Impala.

And where did you hear this, Circuit City? That is BS... And just about any box with a hole = ported.

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 12:39 AM
I have had Ported boxes custom built, and they sound like shat. Everyone I know with 94-96 impala's that don't have that format I talked about, there system sounds like asss. I have had alot of car audio guys say what you said but are always proven wrong. Those cars just have a shat load of dead trunk space. I'm not i'm saying I know more then you so I don't want to go back and forth, but trust me I know what sounds good and convetional boxes ported or bandpass sound WEAK!

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 12:42 AM
what order BP is this

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
what do you mean by order

JimJ
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

Best to learn the theory...then understand how to make it sound good for your install.

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 12:52 AM
it could be a sealed box with a ported cover.

JimJ
09-24-2005, 12:54 AM
it could be a sealed box with a ported cover.

:confused:

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
lmao wtf does that mean bro

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 01:00 AM
a sealed box with the subs firing straight at the Port in my rear dash, with a ported cover to conseal(sp) the pressure the port is like a tunnel on top of the box going straight to the port in my rear dash. Thats the best I can explain it. Someone tell me how to post Pics. and I'll show you guys. My shat slaps hard I'm not going to lie but I wanted to see if it could get lower. The only thing I think that would be better is if the subs were firing towards the back seats.

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 01:01 AM
what in the ****.....

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 01:42 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827093/2

here is a setup similar to mine alot prettier but similar setup except the subs firing towards the back seat instead of firing up towards the port.

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 01:46 AM
so it's sealed with a plexi glass baffle....wtf does that have to do with a ported cover

krazeeboy
09-24-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm not i'm saying I know more then you so I don't want to go back and forth, but trust me I know what sounds good and convetional boxes ported or bandpass sound WEAK!

how can be so sure you know that ported boxes sound weak when you don't even know what tuning frequency is? maybe the ported box built for you was tuned a bit too high or too low for your taste. you gotta find what tuning u like either more sq or spl then u can judge that ported boxes sound "WEAK". just a thought ;)

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 03:35 AM
if you look close on that guys setup you can see his custom port in his rear dash. And you can't fully see his setup to see how his box was built. And to answer the other guys question. I'm not basing my opinion solely(sp) on my ported box. I have seen plenty of the same cars with ported boxes and they sound like ***! There's even this girl around here who has a beautiful show car, with 2 w7's in a ported fiberglass enclosure it's:uhoh: garbage. Trust me get someone on here that has actually worked with one of these cars and let them tell you.

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 03:50 AM
explain to me what a baffle is? I don't know all this ar audio termanolgy down buddy. If a baffle is something seals off the rest of the trunk then yes. My whole point of this was you need to seal off the rest of the trunk. The installer that rebuilt my box. thought that all that extra box i had was nosense. So he built me a sealed box right under my custom port in my rear dash. Well it sounded like shat. So I told him to build the other part I think he called it a lid or something. Which sealed off the rest of the trunk like homies I showed you and had a tunnel shooting straight in to my port. Now my system makes non car audio civilanians sick. You see I'm the guy who comes in with his pretty cars and has guys like you. Build me the loudest thing possible feel doggies!

joeldirt
09-24-2005, 06:26 AM
I think you took the whole wrong aproach with this thread. YOu should do a little more individual research so you sound a bit more educated when you ask specific questions. It would sound a whole lot clearer to you if you do this. How "custom" were those boxes you refered to earlier that sounded like ***? Because any box you buy in any store they call "custom". And refering to the post right above, the reason why it got so much louder is a reason called "Cabin Gain". YOu virtually selaed off the dead space in the trunk and had all of the sound going into the cabin. What exactly do you need? If you are just looking for some answers to a few questions, a search would answer all of your questions.

Chevillac
09-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Trust me get someone on here that has actually worked with one of these cars and let them tell you.

Talk to acidburn. Or someone get him to come in here.

Tirefryr
09-24-2005, 12:49 PM
THe only thing he did was alleviate a cancellation problem within his environment.

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 12:55 PM
explain to me what a baffle is? I don't know all this ar audio termanolgy down buddy. If a baffle is something seals off the rest of the trunk then yes. My whole point of this was you need to seal off the rest of the trunk. The installer that rebuilt my box. thought that all that extra box i had was nosense. So he built me a sealed box right under my custom port in my rear dash. Well it sounded like shat. So I told him to build the other part I think he called it a lid or something. Which sealed off the rest of the trunk like homies I showed you and had a tunnel shooting straight in to my port. Now my system makes non car audio civilanians sick. You see I'm the guy who comes in with his pretty cars and has guys like you. Build me the loudest thing possible feel doggies!
dude, stfu and go. if you can come on here all assinine about how u know all this ****, but don't know what a ported box design is like, how a bandpass works and what a baffle is, you need to start reading some books.

btw, a baffle is the side of a speaker enclosure that is either the front or the back. usually the speaker is drilled inton the front, and the binding post is drilled into the back.

80INCHES
09-24-2005, 02:12 PM
i cant believe i'm readding this thread....kind of makes me wonder if he knows what bandpass suppose to do..but if u ask him it will confuse him even more

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 02:15 PM
80, my thoughts precisely.

spljim
09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
SofaKingSic96 just call kicker and ask for help on a bp box the gay i talked to made plans for my 2 L7 12's and it was so easey but i cood not mack it because i was off 1in when i mesherd my car gust give them a call and they will help you pick out and bild what the best box for your car will be there number is (405)642-8510:D

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 06:10 PM
once again i never said I knew all the answers to my questions. I told ya'll i don't know **** when it comes design or specifics, Read my post! and secondly all I was trying to due was explain what I had (sorry I didn't know the proper terms). Just from a common ear it is easy to determine that the certain kind of setup its the best sound responce when it comes to clarity and crisp bass. Now if you want to get a loud rattlefest and a little deeper bass on the outside then conventional boxes are for you. But if it will sound like you only have 1 low end 10 in the trunk, when sitting inside your car. Third yes I mean custom like you go to the shop and they built a specific box for your setup and car. Out here in the Bay area all we have are Car audio shops everyehere, but like i said I never knew anything about the math behind box building, so I never asked the several different installers i've had what the box was tuned to.

SofaKingSic96
09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
lemans buddy I can admit I don't know **** about buiding boxes, but for someone like you says he knows so much, and comes down hard on me, you seem to be the butt of all your peers jokes! lol

HowLowd
09-25-2005, 02:48 PM
i know what he means. we did a similar setup with my old car (3 10W6's). Did a 1.3 sealed chamber firing into a 2.3 ported chamber firing through the rear deck. the port was 11 inches long and cant member the width. It hit its *** off but it was nowhere near capable of music. but the notes in its range it definitely knocked. ended up blowing the subs messing with a new amp and went to 6 10w6s in the same car.