PDA

View Full Version : JL Home audio

patton422
09-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Anyone know why you can get JL's Gotham or Fathom speakers? I dunno if they even came out yet. Anyone know?

PV Audio
09-23-2005, 09:16 AM
why would you even want one....

patton422
09-23-2005, 08:56 PM
well JL has a great rep for car audio so I was kinda curious how these will put out. so sue me

Echo42987
09-23-2005, 08:58 PM
why would you even want one....

Why the hell not!?

Besides the price tag, which is way out of my price range I would ever spend on Home audio equipment. The internet for one and ABT electronics, if you live in IL is going to be picking them up soon.

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 12:39 AM
why the hell not? maybe because the gotham is probably the stupidest thing that you could waste your money on. just make a **** sub and save your money, NO ONE has any need for that.

ndnbolla
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
i don't know about you but if i could afford it and i really wanted it then i would get it in a snap. it may be expensive but hey, if i can afford then who gives a ****.

PV Audio
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
if you have that much money then you need to be smacked. there is NO need for it at all.

azbass
10-02-2005, 03:28 PM
im getting one, through work.

Blunt
10-02-2005, 03:33 PM
lemans stfu he didn't ask your opinion. He asked where he could get them and if they had come out. either answer one of them or just plain STFU. as a matter of fact i'd buy them just cause you said they are stupid prolly means they rock and would look 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better then the sh1t you build

bri487
10-02-2005, 03:49 PM
my dad got a gotham through the mcintosh home audio dealer, its for his new home theater system. that thing is simply amazing. there are no words for it. another sub i would highly reccomend is the velodyne spl1200. that sub has so much low end bass for one 12" and its half the price of the gotham.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 04:47 PM
lemans stfu he didn't ask your opinion. He asked where he could get them and if they had come out. either answer one of them or just plain STFU. as a matter of fact i'd buy them just cause you said they are stupid prolly means they rock and would look 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better then the sh1t you build
i think that you need to be here longer than a month to actually know me to make that statement above your avatar.

all i'm saying is that if you have the money for that sub, you can do much better yourself.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 04:47 PM
my dad got a gotham through the mcintosh home audio dealer, its for his new home theater system. that thing is simply amazing. there are no words for it. another sub i would highly reccomend is the velodyne spl1200. that sub has so much low end bass for one 12" and its half the price of the gotham.
2nd part only adds to what i was saying.

azbass
10-02-2005, 04:49 PM
jl hater. the sub is amazing, i got to listen to the dual 13 set up, in a theater, ***, it was crazy.

Blunt
10-02-2005, 06:30 PM
i think that you need to be here longer than a month to actually know me to make that statement above your avatar.

No i don't. It's pretty easy to tell your a wannabe know-it-all and are always throwing your .02 in where its never needed. It's also funny you assume that just cause i made an id a month ago that i havn't been a reader for a lot longer then that. Your ignorant and cocky and just need to STFU most the time.

jujumantb
10-02-2005, 06:37 PM
No i don't. It's pretty easy to tell your a wannabe know-it-all and are always throwing your .02 in where its never needed. It's also funny you assume that just cause i made an id a month ago that i havn't been a reader for a lot longer then that. Your ignorant and cocky and just need to STFU most the time.
x2
stfu lemans you are really gettin annoying with your elitest sounding posts... jmac does it to, but he actually has the knowledge to back it up.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 07:55 PM
its been well known lemans is hated for quite some time... dont know why it comes as a suprise when he makes a ******* post that nobody wants to read

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 08:16 PM
please, if i had the money for that subwoofer, i'd spend it on either something else OR saving money and building my own comprable sub. **** me for posting my opinion

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
x2
stfu lemans you are really gettin annoying with your elitest sounding posts... jmac does it to, but he actually has the knowledge to back it up.
elitest? show me ONE part in anything i have said thus far that makes me sound elite or like a know-it-all. many a time this has happened because people jump on the trend but no one can defend themselves. show me a simple phrase where i say i know more than anyone else. double dog dare you.

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
please, if i had the money for that subwoofer, i'd spend it on either something else OR saving money and building my own comprable sub. **** me for posting my opinion

And just how much listening time do you have on the JL Audio home subwoofer lines??

I'm going to go ahead and say you have 0 listening time with them. Which makes your "opinion" completely and utterly worthless for anything other than boosting your own ego for thinking you could build something of comparable quality.

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
show me a simple phrase where i say i know more than anyone else. double dog dare you.

also for all u haters, how many 16 year olds do you know that can design, model and build crossovers, speakers and an amplifier? better yet, how many people on this forum can? didn't think too many.

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1110449&postcount=70

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
squeak, first one. first, no i never said i had any listening experience but i am quite sure that the price of the subwoofer isn't all sound. actually that i am POSITIVE about and i know that you know the same otherwise they wouldn't make any money off of it. thus you could make something differet. two, i never said that i myself could build anything, and if i did, show it to me. i clearly stated that i would rather try and build something with that money. not only does it give you a sense of accomplishment, but also saves you money.

second one. is that elite? i think not. i think that it is easily a comparison to the people that are hating on my abilities by saying that while i am still a novice, i am more knowledgeable than the average teenager who goes to best buy and puts two 12" duals in his trunk then goes around flaunting that and his "knowledge". second part of that? how many 16 year olds on here can do such? not saying i know everything because if i did, then i wouldn't learn anything from people on here who happen to be much smarter than I.

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
squeak, first one. first, no i never said i had any listening experience but i am quite sure that the price of the subwoofer isn't all sound. actually that i am POSITIVE about and i know that you know the same otherwise they wouldn't make any money off of it.

Every company makes a profit on their product. Otherwise, what's the point of business? I fail to see your point, other than you can't afford them and FOR THAT SOLE REASON do not like them.

two, i never said that i myself could build anything, and if i did, show it to me.

:rolleyes:

saving money and building my own comprable sub

Doesn't leave much room for abiguity. You clearly stated you "could build your own comparable sub".

i clearly stated that i would rather try and build something with that money. not only does it give you a sense of accomplishment, but also saves you money.

That is clearly NOT what you said. See above.

IamDeMan
10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
I like you.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Every company makes a profit on their product. Otherwise, what's the point of business? I fail to see your point, other than you can't afford them and FOR THAT SOLE REASON do not like them.

Doesn't leave much room for abiguity. You clearly stated you "could build your own comparable sub".

That is clearly NOT what you said. See above.
1. save money, build your own. not too hard.
2. i said that if i were in HIS position and had THAT money i'd try and build something else. again, not too hard, you just looked at it wrong.
3. read it again, as it was what i meant. whether or not you choose to believe it is your piece of cake.

no point in arguing as it'll go nowhere.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 09:36 PM
but i'll be quiet now since i'm ignorant and pompous

IamDeMan
10-02-2005, 09:37 PM
but i'll be quiet now since i'm ignorant and pompousPossibly the best sentence you have ever typed.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
probably is since i know nothing at all

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 09:45 PM
bassmaster, if anyone here is elite and ignorant, it is you. not only did we help you for WEEKS advising you against all possible things you wanted, you then had the audacity to come back later and say what we were advising against was overkill. so please, don't even enter this thread.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:04 PM
not everyone wants to build there same, because part of the JLs is the amazing look. not everyone wants an ugly *** box with calking coming out from everywhere. and it would be hard to make something flow together like the JL without spending the price of the JL in lost time. Not to mention i can't imagine all the R&D that went into that can be duplicated by everyone and their mother

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
but i'll be quiet now since i'm ignorant and pompous

FINALLY!!!

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:18 PM
if you think i succumbed to your argument squeak, you'd be wrong. lemans debates are not winnable battles as there is never an agreement, so i will avoid them.

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:19 PM
not everyone wants to build there same, because part of the JLs is the amazing look. not everyone wants an ugly *** box with calking coming out from everywhere. and it would be hard to make something flow together like the JL without spending the price of the JL in lost time. Not to mention i can't imagine all the R&D that went into that can be duplicated by everyone and their mother
*sigh* you just haven't looked around in the past 6 months, have you....

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:20 PM

alright, you make something better, and then you can finally justly say your right

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
if you think i succumbed to your argument squeak, you'd be wrong. lemans debates are not winnable battles as there is never an agreement, so i will avoid them.

No, lemans debates consist of lemans constantly twisting his own words and trying to identify meaning in a sentence that previously wasn't there simply so he doesn't appear wrong as frequently as he actually is.

Moral of the story; You tried to claim that a product which you have never heard nor even seen in person is not worth the price and that you could build something of comparable quality for less money. You then proceed to try to side step around your exact statements by claiming some hidden meanings, twisting your words and claiming everyone else is just "reading it wrong".

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:29 PM
No, lemans debates consist of lemans constantly twisting his own words and trying to identify meaning in a sentence that previously wasn't there simply so he doesn't appear wrong as frequently as he actually is.

x2

i can't remember seeing him win one argument, but that dosen't stop him from pretending

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:32 PM
alright, you make something better, and then you can finally justly say your right
latest example:
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118277&highlight=re10

thanks, but you can be quiet now. that is unless you'd like to photoshop some "oozing" caulk into those pictures. other wise, you have no room to talk.

Echo42987
10-02-2005, 10:34 PM
lemans I think you figure everyone in the world can build there own subwoofer box, get the right sub, power it with the right amp. Maybe he doesn't know how to and he wants to spend a good amount of money on the Fathom because he knows he is going to be getting his money's worth. Personally I might buy one myself, though I get them at cost and there still a **** load of money they are worth every penny IMO. But hell they sound so **** nice!!! But if your looking to spen that amount of money I would totally look into the Krell Resolution Sub 15". For sure IMO one of the best Home theatre sub woofers I have ever heard in my life.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:42 PM
latest example:
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118277&highlight=re10

thanks, but you can be quiet now. that is unless you'd like to photoshop some "oozing" caulk into those pictures. other wise, you have no room to talk.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7717/picture4474rw.jpg

vs.

http://home.jlaudio.com/images/10411.jpg

wow lemans! your box really looks like a work of art compared to the JL, yea, i'd reall want that piece of **** sitting in my living room! i mean, it has all the features after all... and im sure it would sound just as good right?

go ahead, try and twist this around

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
dude you are easily a complete ****tard if that is what you are going to say. you told me to show a box that doesn't have caulking, and that doesn't. what do you want me to do? put on a minstrel show for you?

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:46 PM
holy god i can't even believe you are that ignorant, i'm finished with you man..i don't understand how you can sit there and call me out, then once i prove you wrong, you take something COMPLETELY irrelevant to caulked boxes. want me to spell it out for u?

caulked box > haven't seen latest work > show me > shows work > responds with completely irrelevant jl sub

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:49 PM

AND I QUOTE, IF YOU CAN MAKE SOMETHING BETTER, LOOK AT THE TWO!!! WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE???

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 10:55 PM
stop taking it out of context my friend:

not everyone wants an ugly *** box with calking coming out from everywhere

Originally Posted by lemans23

thanks, and i'm out

SSS 18734
10-02-2005, 10:55 PM
that JL box is beautiful.

lol @ this thread.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 10:59 PM
stop taking it out of context my friend:

thanks, and i'm out

you're simply retarded, the threads about the JL speakers and you not knowing what the hell your talking about, not the calking... you know this.

i told you to build something better then the jl box and you could say your right, you didn't, you never will be able to.

you, are, always have been, and always will be, an average box builder at best... box, not speaker, and thats all there is too it.

regardless of what you say, this is the constant in your life, the only variable is the **** you want people to think.

brandontw
10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I would love to have that JL sitting in my living room looking beautiful, and sounding even better than it looks. I agree that most people cant afford it, and building your own stuff does give you a sense of accomplishment, and often fairly good results, but it isn’t always the best route for output or sound quality, most the people on these forums aren’t loaded, and so we are always looking for a cheap way out, but if you could afford that, then why not? I’m sure it would give about anything that we could build a run for its money…and look mighty fine doing it, and you would have tech support, a warranty, ect. If you build a big *** ghetto slab of subs for xxxx dollars and lay ‘er down in your living room, then blow it and spill lemonade in it and whatever, your going to be out a big nasty slab of subs. But I’m sure JL would help you out plenty after you forked over 10000 or whatever that costs.

Lemans--- please talk less and listen more... you have more posts than a picket fence around Texas, and you’ve been here for like half as long as I have. Opinions are fine, just not THAT many of them.

-Brandon

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
like i said, i'm done with this thread, and bassmaster, keep that in your other thread so that you don't get flamed here. a tumult with 1000-1500 watts on it then thinking you can just add a tweeter is ridiculous.

marleyskater420
10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Moral of the story; You tried to claim that a product which you have never heard nor even seen in person is not worth the price and that you could build something of comparable quality for less money. You then proceed to try to side step around your exact statements by claiming some hidden meanings, twisting your words and claiming everyone else is just "reading it wrong".

GREATEST QUOTE I HAVE EVAR READ

how much is the gotham?

brandontw
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I still need some help when all of you have a minute. I was thinking of building a box for 3 speakers. A tweeter a mid range and a sub and putting it by my tv. Either that or getting surround sound. Do you guys have any preferences on which is better? Thanks.
Surround sound is overrated in my opinion; I would rather have 2 deep, classy sounding stereo speakers than a grip of tiny surround sound speaks thrown all around you. Stereo sound can fill a room just as well as 5.1 if its done right. Are you only going to build one speaker? You should prolly build a pair. What is your budget? What will you be powering it with?

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Surround sound is overrated in my opinion; I would rather have 2 deep, classy sounding stereo speakers than a grip of tiny surround sound speaks thrown all around you. Stereo sound can fill a room just as well as 5.1 if its done right.
no dude, he is talking about taking a mid and a tweet and putting it in the tumult enclosure like those 20 dollar boxes on millionbuy.

marleyskater420
10-02-2005, 11:22 PM
i still wanna know how much this **** gotham thing is

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 11:23 PM
more than you can afford pal, gotham

*sine wave*

smoke 'em.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 11:24 PM
i think around 6 grand

Xekutr
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
wow, I thought lemans was out? Oh and he needs to learn to use the "edit" button, you know to keep from double posting. lol, postwhoring is a funny word. Oh and Bassmaster, having only one is kinda pointless, might as well go stereo, instead of taking a trip back into the "mono" times. And the sub, like most any other will need to be powered by a seperate amp, the mid and tweet can be powered by the receiver. The whole "3 speaker thing" is just a three way speaker, a mid, tweet, and woofer. You will need a crossover. But other than that its pretty simple

marleyskater420
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
i think around 6 grand

HOLY ****.... what is it exactly? Like the greatest thing to happen to audio since magnets?

azbass
10-02-2005, 11:26 PM
more than you can afford pal, gotham

*sine wave*

smoke 'em.

your gay

brandontw
10-02-2005, 11:26 PM
no dude, he is talking about taking a mid and a tweet and putting it in the tumult enclosure like those 20 dollar boxes on millionbuy. ****. I forgot he was a moron for a minute, i just read his other thread too....:eyebrow:

PV Audio
10-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Ok well this is what i got so far. I don't know much so this is how i picked out what i wanted. Those 2 big speakers people put by their tvs. I looked closely at them and noticed there are about 3 speaker in each. So i figured i would just get one of those only with the speakers of my choice. I just don't know if that is a good idea. 2 would be great but i live in a dorm room and having 2 would just be way too loud i think. But i could be wrong. I do want to go with the tumult sub from adire and i heard i should power that with a pro audio amp. I just need to pick out the other speakers and i heard i can power them with a reciever. Let me know if that will work. I have no idea what reciever would work and what speakers to get with that sub and amp that i want. Let me know what you think i should do.
read post in the non hijacked thread

PV Audio
****. I forgot he was a moron for a minute, i just read his other thread too....:eyebrow:
:laugh: yup

azbass
HOLY ****.... what is it exactly? Like the greatest thing to happen to audio since magnets?

its a pretty high end home sub

squeak9798
10-02-2005, 11:28 PM
i still wanna know how much this **** gotham thing is

MSRP of $7500, which in the world of home audio, isn't *that* expensive for an extremely high end sub system. Many other products in it's price range.

When amps can run as high as $300,000, you can see how $7500 for a full sub setup is "reasonable" :D

brandontw
10-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Ok well this is what i got so far. I don't know much so this is how i picked out what i wanted. Those 2 big speakers people put by their tvs. I looked closely at them and noticed there are about 3 speaker in each. So i figured i would just get one of those only with the speakers of my choice. I just don't know if that is a good idea. 2 would be great but i live in a dorm room and having 2 would just be way too loud i think. But i could be wrong. I do want to go with the tumult sub from adire and i heard i should power that with a pro audio amp. I just need to pick out the other speakers and i heard i can power them with a reciever. Let me know if that will work. I have no idea what reciever would work and what speakers to get with that sub and amp that i want. Let me know what you think i should do.
ouch :crap: i have a low bullshit threshold:uhoh:

bri487
10-02-2005, 11:30 PM

denon or pioneer elites are what i would go with, or mcintosh, but that is a different story. as far as speakers i would go with niles audio or monitor. as far as the sub i would go velodyne, just bought one for myself and have done extensive listening to it. like i stated before, my father has the gotham. it is definitly insane, but for my ht setup, the velodyne is more than enough. the velodyne spl1000 and the 1200 will keep up as far as how low the gotham goes, but it doesnt have nearly the output. but for half the price it has plenty. it is way enough for any ht setup.

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 11:33 PM
watch the videos on it... make me want to juice myself

Eugenics
10-02-2005, 11:53 PM
http://home.jlaudio.com/multimedia_pages.php?page_id=15

patton422
10-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Crap I saw my thread was up again i was expecting to get some real info but it was 4 pages of argueing and lemans gettin trashed by everyone even the vet squeak lol its funny i thought 6,000 was the expected cost before production i didn't know it was actual. wow by the way how much is it for "cost"?

patton422
10-03-2005, 12:07 AM
with 2 13" subs it brings new meaning to Home Theater. its more like the mtv cribs with actual theaters in their homes

JimJ
10-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Two 13's isn't that impressive...especially when you consider the actual output @ 15 and 20Hz required to reach real THX reference level for the LFE track :D

If you want to see what the ultimate in HT subbass systems are, the Genelec "coffin" style subs, the Bag End 21's and basically anything in a Decware/Jensen Imperial Horn will destroy all comers for the bottom end...and will destroy your wallet in the process (the DIY Imp. Horn nonwithstanding).

PV Audio
10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
jim, isn't the genelac supposedly the best performing subwoofer on the market (subjective, but AS says so :D ) and doesn't it also cost ~100k?

there was a subwoofer comparison on diyaudio.com which is why it sounds familiar :)

Eugenics
10-03-2005, 06:17 PM
thanks, and i'm out

JimJ
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
jim, isn't the genelac supposedly the best performing subwoofer on the market (subjective, but AS says so :D ) and doesn't it also cost ~100k?

there was a subwoofer comparison on diyaudio.com which is why it sounds familiar :)

Supposedly it's the best for sheer output down low and accuracy...although you're a zero off on the price tag. It's only :) $10,000 retail.

http://ultimateavmag.com/features/604way/index4.html

Frightening, though a well-designed DIY setup could rival the output levels for about $8000 less :)

PV Audio
10-03-2005, 08:22 PM
whoops lol, i didn't mean 100k

PV Audio
10-03-2005, 08:22 PM
yeah, that's the article that i was looking for, thanks for posting it

thylantyr
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
3800 watts RMS short-term

Random guess misery;

*One house circuit breaker is rated for 20A {2400w} -- there is your limit.

*Two woofers, power divided by 2 -- 2400w / 2 = 1200w per woofer

*The amp isn't 100% efficient -- 600w-900w per woofer

Pretty cool design overal.

JimJ
10-03-2005, 10:07 PM
3800 watts RMS short-term

Random guess misery;

*One house circuit breaker is rated for 20A {2400w} -- there is your limit.

*Two woofers, power divided by 2 -- 2400w / 2 = 1200w per woofer

*The amp isn't 100% efficient -- 600w-900w per woofer

Pretty cool design overal.

They should have gone 240VAC :D