PDA

View Full Version : will i see a huge difference going with 3 ways?

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 07:08 PM
i had planned on going with the rainbow soundline 2 way components to supplement my infinity kappa 462.7 4x6's in my dash. would i see a huge difference going with the rainbow soundline 3 ways and ditching the kappas?

iagrdshaka
09-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Lose the 4x6 plates.

iceteebone
09-22-2005, 07:12 PM
either way you go loose the 4x6's if you are getting a comp set.

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 08:09 PM
where would i want to put the 4 inchers? they will bolt right into the same spot the 4x6's are in in the dash, but i also could put the in the sailpanels in the rear. i know rear fill is bad and all, but im 6'3 and keep my seat back all the way. in third gen f-bodies the 6x9 slots are just behind and to the side. if they went in the back, it would be about 4-6 inches behind me. line of sight (sound?) probably about 10 inches, maybe less. its close enough my kenwood excelon 4 way 6x9s used to hurt my ears of a kenwood 35x4 in my old camaro. still bad for imaging?

MetalMaxima
09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes. Activley tuned 3-ways = teh w3n!!1!

Raven
09-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Rainbow SLCs are not actively crossed over.. :confused:

squeak9798
09-22-2005, 08:41 PM
where would i want to put the 4 inchers? they will bolt right into the same spot the 4x6's are in in the dash,

You could put them in the dash, but then you'd need some nice processing to get them to image correctly.

Kickpanels would be a better idea.

but i also could put the in the sailpanels in the rear.

Horrible idea.

still bad for imaging?

Terribly bad.

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
my 6.5's are going in kicks. what exactly does bad imaging sound like? if i just throw them in the dash, the 6.5's and tweets in the kicks, hook up my orion 8004 and call it a day, will i be disappointed? maybe better off just running the 2 ways without the kappa plates?

squeak9798
09-22-2005, 09:07 PM
my 6.5's are going in kicks. what exactly does bad imaging sound like? if i just throw them in the dash, the 6.5's and tweets in the kicks, hook up my orion 8004 and call it a day, will i be disappointed?

If you don't know what a stereo should sound like; probably not.

However, you just wasted a whole lot of money on a bad sounding stereo....even if you don't realize it.

Best idea, with a 3-way, is to put all 3 drivers in the kick.

Good idea would be to put the 6.5" in the door and 4" and tweet in the kick.

Okay would be to put the 6.5" in kick and 4" and tweet in the dash...but like I said, some heavy processing would be needed to get that to sound correctly.

maybe better off just running the 2 ways without the kappa plates?

IMHO, for you, that sounds like the better way to go for you.

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 09:11 PM
yes i knew that was the best way to go, but i have power windows and its **** near impossible to put 6.5's in 3rd gen doors with power windows. way too much hassle and more than i want to tackle. as for all 3 in the kicks, theres not even close to being enough room for that.

Flipx99
09-22-2005, 11:46 PM
I am still curious what good stereo does sound like. I was thinking of going with the focal 165 V3 setup in my mustang restoration. 6 1/2 (woofer) in the rear 4" in kick panel. I am was trying to talk to my girlfriend about how to justify the $500 cost. I tried to explain it as only seeing in black and white and hearing about color. You know its out there, but don't know what it's about. I think my setup sounds good. I know there's better out there. I just don't know how mine is worse. I hope this is clear. Thing is, GTA, this imaging deal is quite a bit more difficult than SPL. Let us know what you learn in experimenting. I know what you mean about rear fill. I like rear fill too so I can be "surrounded" by sound.

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 11:50 PM
pretty much what i was saying. i've heard plenty of loud highs, but i've never heard a properly setup and imaged system. i've got the bass portion of my system licked, 2 rl-p 12's in a 2.6 ft^3 net sealed box off an elemental designs nine.1 and it hits hard. all my wiring and electrical system is boss, 1/0 gauge and underhood wiring, 200 amp excessive amperage alt and an optima yellow top. got an excelon x979 deck which i like, no matter what people say about kenwood decks being hard to navigate in. i want to get my highs just right so i can find out what a truly nice system sounds like.

Flipx99
09-22-2005, 11:55 PM
hopefully someone while chime in with a link to help us understand. I re-did my system because I couldn't hear the words over the bass.

tRiGgEr
09-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Sounds like you have a great HU and amp/sub combo. Your going to want to keep from messing up a good thing. So I rec. a 2 way comp set. Sounds like a 3 way is going to be to much of a hassle for you to work out, to get it to sound the best.

bikejunkie223
09-23-2005, 12:01 AM
I think for most applications 2way setups with sound-deadening sound fantastic, and would be difficult for any but the pickyest of ears to discriminate between it and a 3way. My opinion is that 2ways done right is better than 3ways jammed up into places there is no room for, especially in that car, fbodies don't have much space at all. I'd go with the 2way setup with 6.5's in kicks, and the tweets there too if there is room, otherwise, I like the tweets up higher to help raise the soundstage. But then, I am a freak who likes pretty bright, crisp cymbals in my music, where as others like it not so bright.

Lil Poot
09-23-2005, 12:17 AM
how about putting the 6.5s and tweets in the kicks like i was planning, and putting the 4's in the doors? i know i'd probably get better midbass having the drivers in the doors, but i found a pic of some 6.5's mounted in a third gen with power windows, and it didnt look good. had about a 3/4 inch spacer and im pretty sure these speakers were more shallow than the rainbows. i dont think i'd have any issues putting the 4's there however.

tRiGgEr
09-23-2005, 12:21 AM
how about putting the 6.5s and tweets in the kicks like i was planning, and putting the 4's in the doors?

Nope, bad idea.

Lil Poot
09-23-2005, 12:24 AM
why? sorry, i just dont understand the way imaging works.

edit - thought i'd make a sig if anyones interested in whats under the hood :up2somet:

DiamondFanatic
09-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Basically, you want to keep the 4" and the tweet together... Just do two ways if you don't feel like figuring out a way to do the 6 in the door. If you do 2-ways, put the tweet in the kick, as they will image a lot better then with the tweeter reflecting off of the dash if that was where you were planning on putting it, or the time alignment might be off if you put it in the pillar. It just makes things easier to put them both in the kick together.

Lil Poot
09-23-2005, 02:09 AM
ok so how about putting the 4 and the tweet in the door?

snb778
09-23-2005, 02:48 AM
or the 6 1/2" components in the kicks, then another pair of tweets on the dash, or Apillar

or the 6 1/2 midbass in the kick and put the tweets in the Apillar maybe?

bigbangtheory
09-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah I agree about imaging being alot harder to nail as to getting big bass. I want both worlds sq and spl. What I did was mount my tweeters on the front part of the back window where the plastic is. So when you sit and lean back the tweeters are right at your ears at both sides. This is a big no no to most people but I swear by it that the tweets sound so sweet. I also have 6x9's in the back that give off decent mids along with the ones in the doors. But I wish getting sq was just as easy as doing spl is what I am trying to say. Peace!

OldManTod
09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Dog... you will see an enormous difference with three ways...

Two chicks are enough to keep anybody busy for hours on end and with that in mind I say you will see a difference in your attitude throughout the day...

Good Luck,

T

squeak9798
09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
ok so how about putting the 4 and the tweet in the door?

Just stick with the 2-way set.

K.I.S.S.

If you want to hear good imaging.....setup a decent home audio system and sit back, close your eyes and listen. You'll get better imaging out of a $200 home audio setup than most people ever will in a car.

bikejunkie223
09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Just stick with the 2-way set.

K.I.S.S.

If you want to hear good imaging.....setup a decent home audio system and sit back, close your eyes and listen. You'll get better imaging out of a $200 home audio setup than most people ever will in a car.
I am relieved to hear others agree that 2ways done right is better than shoehorning a 3way system. I'm not a *******! Yeah! At least not about this thread. Brain surgery....not so much.

squeak9798
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm not a *******!

I wouldn't go that far.... ;)

:p:

Lil Poot
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
im assuming the crossover points are different for the 6.5 in a three way set? what i mean is if i buy the 3 way, but only install the 6.5 and tweet, it will be playing lower frequencies than the same speaker with the 2 way crossover would, since its expecting the 4 incher to be there to cover the higher frequencies?

squeak9798
09-23-2005, 12:00 PM
im assuming the crossover points are different for the 6.5 in a three way set? what i mean is if i buy the 3 way, but only install the 6.5 and tweet, it will be playing lower frequencies than the same speaker with the 2 way crossover would, since its expecting the 4 incher to be there to cover the higher frequencies?

If you bought the 3-ways, but only installed the 6.5" and tweeter you'd have a GAPING whole in the midrange. Like, virtually non-existent. Would sound like total butt.

In the 2-way set, the 6.5" mid plays higher to cover those midrange frequencies.

audiolife
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
your car has an enclosure pretty well in it all ready gta. if you would tap it you would have about .4 cft sealed and no obstruction but requiers some minor welding lol. 2 way vs 3 way imo depends on how the subs stage and how low you can get the next sized speaker to play. shoe horning speakers is never a good thing and if you start spreadng stuff apart all you are asking for is a headache and probably less performance (what i heard and seen that is probably 95% chance) just depends on what you want to call acceptable.

Lil Poot
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
you're the guy that showed me the pics of the horn setup in his firebird right? where are you talking about that i have .4 cubic feet, in each kickpanel spot?

audiolife
09-23-2005, 02:56 PM
lol right up against the firewall in each corner if you looked at all the pics you can pretty easily tell what im talking about although in my rebuild it was just used as added space. on the driverside it would be the dead pedal areabut against the fire wall