PDA

View Full Version : staging problems

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
im about to order the rainbow slc 265.03's new. i am planning on putting them in kick panels in my 87 trans am. the kicks are being made now, i sent dude the payment today and they should be done in a couple weeks.

i have heard having the tweets right next to the driver can cause staging problems. in this kick design the tweets are just above the driver, probably an inch or less away. would i be better off telling him to make them only for the driver, and putting my tweets on the piece just in front of my door windows? (can't remember what that thing is called, between the side windows and the windshield)

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321907

here is a link to the thread he made, with a picture of the design. appreciate any advice or comments.

adam71
09-22-2005, 06:43 PM
im about to order the rainbow slc 265.03's new. i am planning on putting them in kick panels in my 87 trans am. the kicks are being made now, i sent dude the payment today and they should be done in a couple weeks.

i have heard having the tweets right next to the driver can cause staging problems. in this kick design the tweets are just above the driver, probably an inch or less away. would i be better off telling him to make them only for the driver, and putting my tweets on the piece just in front of my door windows? (can't remember what that thing is called, between the side windows and the windshield)

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321907

here is a link to the thread he made, with a picture of the design. appreciate any advice or comments.

My tweeters are right below my 4" mids in the kicks and I have NO regrets. I've never heard of this causing staging problems but I don't know everything. I don't think you'll have a problem. Putting the tweeter in the "PILLAR" I think would be a worse image because the left tweeter would be closer to your ears than the mid. In an ideal soundstage the sound from all the drivers reach your ears at the same time so having the tweet next to the mid only makes sense.

3.5Max6spd
09-22-2005, 07:29 PM
There would be nothing wrong with keeping them close together as you describe. Thats how most kicks are and how most separates excel when properly aimed.

Those kicks should turn out ok-dunno if it offers sufficient airspace tho, rainbow mids have effective 30degree off axis response. Are they sealed? And actually the SLC tweets are better aimed, than 30degree off axis...its a small tiny dome/suspension tweeter. They may just work out nicely there.

If you separate the tweets far from the midrange driver, you can reverse the polarity of the tweeters to compensate . Then time alignment and or level matching can work in favor of pulling the stage together and correct effects caused from the diferences in pathlengths.

Hook Me Up
09-22-2005, 07:31 PM
My tweeters are right below my 4" mids in the kicks and I have NO regrets. I've never heard of this causing staging problems but I don't know everything. I don't think you'll have a problem. Putting the tweeter in the "PILLAR" I think would be a worse image because the left tweeter would be closer to your ears than the mid. In an ideal soundstage the sound from all the drivers reach your ears at the same time so having the tweet next to the mid only makes sense.

Same thing with me!

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 07:44 PM
they aren't sealed although he can do them that way, or with an open baffle behind the mids. i was under the belief that the best midbass would be to leave it open behind, and seal everything up with deadener as best i can.

squeak9798
09-22-2005, 09:44 PM
USD has a nice rule of thumb;

The closer together the speakers are, the farther apart they will sound.

i.e. Less localization of the mid and tweeter, they'll sound more as one "point-source" which will give better spatial imaging and soundstaging, etc etc.

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 10:32 PM
i think what you just said is that it'll sound better with the tweet farther from the mid :confused:

squeak9798
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
i think what you just said is that it'll sound better with the tweet farther from the mid :confused:

No, I said it will sound better with them closer together :)

Lil Poot
09-22-2005, 10:50 PM
out-fkn-standing
lol

adam71
09-23-2005, 02:31 AM
USD has a nice rule of thumb;

The closer together the speakers are, the farther apart they will sound.

i.e. Less localization of the mid and tweeter, they'll sound more as one "point-source" which will give better spatial imaging and soundstaging, etc etc.

Very well put.:D

Oh and one more thing Squeak..............

TOOL *****....:hide:

j/k man they rock.