PDA

View Full Version : review: THE HISTORY OF MIDS AND HIGHS

limitkid7
09-20-2005, 01:36 AM
review your components and loud speakers that you've used... the difference b/w this and the review section is that this is informal & you can pretty much say u tried something and it ****** then give reasons why as w/the review section u usually provide a variety of reasons + test results. :naughty:

Raven
09-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Sure, I'll give this a go.

SOUNDSTORM LABS FORCE 5X7 COAXIALS
They sound like mud on HU power. Never overpowered them or cared to do so.
3 / 10

SONY XSV1633 (?) - Teh Best Buy 6.5" triaxials
Very bright sounding. They had good low end extension free air, but definitely left a lot to be desired in doors. Not worth their price.
5/10

PYRAMID GOLD 4" COMPONENT SET
You have to buy the mids and tweeters seperately. There is no set crossover, just some capacitors to wire inline with the mids and tweeters. Without even thinking, you could forget to cross over the tweeters and blow them. The mids were sealed by the basket, so venting, sealing, kicks, ect wasn't necessary to affect anything more than imaging. The tweeters were 3" titanium bullet style. This setup was kinda bright, the mids were amazingly clear for Pyramid speakers. The highs were harsh in the "pure accuracy" way that only non silk or nobium bullet tweeters provide. At the $30 I paid for the mids AND the tweeters, they would be great for metal when combined with dedicated midbass.
8/10

ROADMASTER 6.5" "300W BASS BOX"
This set sounds strange in a way I can't describe. Out of the box, it's horrible. However, if you loosen the tweeters and put spacers in there to let the mids vent a little, the midbass works out pretty nice. Even better if you unplug one of the mids and let it act as a PR. At HU power, the tweeters won't last long, but they **** anyway. It has potential for dedicated midbass if you have NO money at all, a HU with good crossover settings, and the ability to match them with a PR or an Aperiodic Membrane they would work nice. However, if you can afford an APM or a HU with a good crossover network, you're better off with something else.
6/10 for dedicated midbass in a good isntall
2/10 for full range in their stock box.

AURA TWEETERS
Crisp clean sound, can be crossed over pretty low for a tweeter. Amazingly smooth SQ.
10/10

AURA 2" MIDS
Again, a rich detailed sounds with a solid low end extension into the 120hz range and high efficiency. They play up to 15000hz so you hardly need a tweeter to go with.
10/10

POWER ACOUSTIK NOBIUM MIDS
A $15 to $20 set of mids available at almost any dealer. They are designed with the mainstream user in mind, so they have built in crossovers and peak in the range of high percussion. A good set of testing tweeters thanks to the built in crossover.
7/10

That's my rant. =)