PDA

View Full Version : Port questions

Bartak1
09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Alrighty. I have two 4" Precision Ports layin in my room that Id like to use in my box (one port in each chamber).

Anyway, first, Im wondering if its ok to have most of the port sticking out of the box. I need to do this so I have enough length. I dont see why how it could make a difference if I did this but I figured I better ask.

Second, Ive heard puting a port on the opposite wall that the sub is on doesnt work, and its like not having a box at all. Is this true? My sub is downfiring, and the only way for the port to fit is if its on the opposite side of the box, of to the side of the sub.

Here is an attach. to show you what Im talkin about.

JimJ
09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Second, Ive heard puting a port on the opposite wall that the sub is on doesnt work, and its like not having a box at all. Is this true?

Not true.

Doesn't make a sonic difference if the port is outside of the box.

SSS 18734
09-18-2005, 08:35 PM
you can stick the port outside of the box, makes no difference except that it will look ***-ugly.

Why not stick the port into the box sideways? i dont know if that diagram is to scale but it might fit that way.

and no, you shouldnt have a problem with port and woofer facing different directions. My home theatre system consists of a 10" downfiring woofer with the port facing the outside. it sounds nice.

SSS 18734
09-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Not true.

Doesn't make a sonic difference if the port is outside of the box.

I think he meant firing sub and port on different planes.

JimJ
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I think he meant firing sub and port on different planes.

I know that.

And it's not true.

Bartak1
09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, the two chambers are side by side, and the woofers are to the outside of the box, so that left wall is actually the chamber divider. Its not to scale anyway so it wouldnt fit.

It will end up being covered, so you wont be able to tell its sticking up out of the box.

Thanks guys.