PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 options....

fancynapkin
09-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a 94 explorer with stock 5x7's, and I need/want some new speakers. I dont want to go with components because Im not going to be using this car much in a year. I just want a set of decent coaxials to run off HU power. If this will make no difference in SQ tell me please, I dont want to dump money on something that wont help. I was looking at the alpine type s, and the cdt coaxils, although those will require some fabrication to fit into my door panels.

Raven
09-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Look on ebay for conversion plates that let you mount 5.25" speakers in a 5x7 spot. They run about $7. Then look for 5.25" coaxials.

This has nothing to do with the "oval vs round" debate. It's just a fact that you have more options when buying 5.25" coaxials than 5x7 coaxials.

KingDiamond
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Your sound could get better, worse, or stay almost the same with only a change of the speaker. It depends on how the stock system works. A lot of stock Ford systems don't run at 4 ohms. It just depends, I did an install of Eclipse 6x8's in a 1994 Ford E-150 van and it sounded a lot better than stock but from what I know only the rear speakers were powered by an amp external of the headunit.

I don't remember what the minimum depth is in explorer doors but I bet you can find an Explorer forum online and they have a bunch of write-ups on speaker installation.

fancynapkin
09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
well, with SQ, generally its one of things like, you dont know how bad it sounds until you've heard a nice system. I think I might go for some cheapo 5x7's just to see what it improves, and if its something I want to upgrade, I can throw thoughs 5x7's in the back and get a nice front end.

on that note, what are some decent 5x7's?

DIPayton
09-17-2005, 01:31 PM
on that note, what are some decent 5x7's?
I bought Infinity Kappa 5x7's and they are good SQ speakers for very cheap IMO. They don't have much bass at all but that's what I liked.

Also, Most Ford's that I have seen that hold 5x7 speakers will actually fit 6x8's in the hole for the speakers. My car holds 4 5x7 slots, but I ended up putting a set of 5x7's and a set of 6x8's in my car and they both fit without any modification at all. I noticed that on Focus' and Contours... not sure about other Fords.

Mobile Wiring
09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Do you like Phoenix Gold I have 5x7s 70w rms

zedman
09-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Parts Express has some good MA 5x7s. I know MA, but for the price they really do sound good. Soft dome to so their not harsh!

danteBirosel
09-17-2005, 02:14 PM
if you just want decent speakers and dont want to go all out i got 2 pairs i believe of 5x7 speakers. I can sell it to you for very cheap. :)

6spdcoupe
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I agree with the option above with the plates or make them yourselve. Itll definately broaden the spectrum of choices. Otherwise Kicker KX or Eclipse SEs would be a great bang for the buck with a good solid reputable company.

You can also check... www.seriousexplorations.com

Hybrid90accord
09-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I got some 1/2" MDF and made a/an adapter plate is what I did on my daily driver mazda protege' 5 and put alipne 6.5" type R components in and they fit perfect and sounds great.