PDA

View Full Version : bad SQ from HU, help

fatryan
09-15-2005, 11:07 PM
I just got a cda-9855. my old deck was a deh-550mp. i liked the sound of my pioneer, but i wanted the features of the alpine. now i got my alpine and it sounds bad. i cant figure out where the bass and treble settings are. and i dont understand the EQ. its a 7 band EQ, and its NOTHING like my pioneers 3 band EQ. also, does any1 know if the "Media Xpander" is a good thing to use? will it send a dirty signal like Pioneer's "loud"?

negativezeroz
09-15-2005, 11:21 PM
OK you have to hold the MENU button for 2 seconds or whatever then you can make your own EQ....7band graphic or 5 band digital parametric..I use the 5 band... and to save the settings you have to hold the glidetouch for 2seconds on P1 -P6 (pick one)....if you use the 5 band press BAND to change the freq's and press SOURCE/POWER to change the width of the change then use the volume knob to change the LEVEL of the freq

you can also use iPersonalize...from alpines website and set it how you want the EQ and everything.... and just put it on a cd and bam!

I use the MX on level 2 for CD, CDWMA but 3 for Radio....mainly it boosts bass and highs ...no mids...I will eventually turn it off once I get my (3) GTO804's in

I have the '53 btw...mine sounded "bad" at first cuz I was used to my EQ on my P7600MP but the Alpine has opened up my lil 4.5" bose

You will get it eventually...took me two days

fatryan
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
OK you have to hold the MENU button for 2 seconds or whatever then you can make your own EQ....7band graphic or 5 band digital parametric..I use the 5band...

you can also use iPersonalize...from alpines website and set it how you want the EQ and everything.... and just put it on a cd and bam!

I use the MX on level 2 for CD, CDWMA but 3 for Radio....mainly it boosts bass and highs ...no mids...I will eventually turn it off once I get my (3) GTO804's in

I have the '53 btw...mine sounded "bad" at first cuz I was used to my EQ on my P7600MP but the Alpine has opened up my lil 4.5" bose
i know how to change the EQ, how do u change bass and treble?

negativezeroz
09-15-2005, 11:26 PM

You can't directly change "bass and treble" settings with the 53 and 55. You have to adjust with the EQ. It takes time and alot of cd's to get it just right.

fatryan
09-15-2005, 11:27 PM
You can't directly change "bass and treble" settings with the 53 and 55. You have to adjust with the EQ. It takes time and alot of cd's to get it just right.
that sux. i dont understand the eq

negativezeroz
09-15-2005, 11:28 PM
that sux. i dont understand the eq

What don't you understand about it? I might be able to help.

Ignatowski
09-15-2005, 11:29 PM
congrats,you just purchased the single most unuser friendly HU ever made

negativezeroz
09-15-2005, 11:30 PM

You and your '33....:furious: :yumyum:

fatryan
09-15-2005, 11:32 PM
What don't you understand about it? I might be able to help.
i dont understand how it works. when i increase a band, it decreases something else. im confused

squeak9798
09-15-2005, 11:37 PM

That's what the EQ is for :crazy:

negativezeroz
09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Increase as in change level or change the width?

DBfan187
09-15-2005, 11:38 PM
should leave your bass/treble settings flat anyway. Let your amp do it's job.

fatryan
09-16-2005, 01:08 AM
That's what the EQ is for :crazy:well then how do i make my highes louder?

fatryan
09-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Increase as in change level or change the width?
change level i guess. it goes from like... -6 to +6 i think..per band. and when i mess with the lowest one, the highes die, and vise versa. this EQ is totally different from my pioneers EQ. im at a total lose on how to set it right.

negativezeroz
09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Change the higher bands to 3.0 width then maybe +3 or more to see how it sounds....or just use iPersonalize and you can see the graph

Slaugh
09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
ok it's a 5band EQ... use Band to switch from band to band

so the first band is the Bass, followed by mid-bass, then mid, then mid high and finally the high frequencyes... use the rotary dial to select from -6db to +6db each frequency... then use the << and >> to select the frequency you preffer to boost the most among these... use the width to choose how you wanna boost the frequencies close to that, being the frequency you pick the center one (which means it will be the most boosted of them)...

but well, if you bought this hu and you are one of those Bass Joe of life who drives down the street burping bass all around (i assume you are seeing your sig), than you made the wrong choice... alpine goes beyond pioneer in terms of sq (well not sure anymore from this 05 line, but always used to be) but it lacks the bass from the pioneer hus...

oh and the MX boosts the bass a lot but totally kills the quality from your comps, just a warning

my advice is that you go back to pioneer... the only pioneer i like i the 860mp btw

fatryan
09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Change the higher bands to 3.0 width then maybe +3 or more to see how it sounds....or just use iPersonalize and you can see the graph
but with that ipersonalize you cant hear what your doing till after you decide

fatryan
09-16-2005, 11:37 AM
ok it's a 5band EQ... use Band to switch from band to band

so the first band is the Bass, followed by mid-bass, then mid, then mid high and finally the high frequencyes... use the rotary dial to select from -6db to +6db each frequency... then use the << and >> to select the frequency you preffer to boost the most among these... use the width to choose how you wanna boost the frequencies close to that, being the frequency you pick the center one (which means it will be the most boosted of them)...

but well, if you bought this hu and you are one of those Bass Joe of life who drives down the street burping bass all around (i assume you are seeing your sig), than you made the wrong choice... alpine goes beyond pioneer in terms of sq (well not sure anymore from this 05 line, but always used to be) but it lacks the bass from the pioneer hus...

oh and the MX boosts the bass a lot but totally kills the quality from your comps, just a warning

my advice is that you go back to pioneer... the only pioneer i like i the 860mp btwsig is outdated. i have a 13w7 now

Slaugh
09-16-2005, 11:39 AM
but with that ipersonalize you cant hear what your doing till after you decide
nevermind personalize, it's simply CRAP... dont even know why they made it to start with...

how is your sub sounding after the change? i bet the pioneer did have a much stronger bass, didnt it?

Jdizzle
09-16-2005, 12:09 PM
okay will someone remind me to never buy this cd player lol and if i do slap me because i couldn't possibly figure it out

Slaugh
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
okay will someone remind me to never buy this cd player lol and if i do slap me because i couldn't possibly figure it out
it's not.. it's simply made to have a good flat response (well unless using MX, which then totally blows your comps)

Alpine has always been in the market with good SQ products since the very beggining of it, but has been going downhill on the last years, being this the worst year so far... i'd stay away from the 9855, i know it has been a remodelled 9835 of the previous year with much cheaper components to give them more profit...

i have a 9815 which i have been more angry with it than loving it so im thinking of going even older, im planning on get whether a 7998 or eve a 7878, those i always heard VERY good things

pioneer to me aims more towards SPL guys and those interested in ghey looking hus (screensaver and stuff)... not saying their bad at all thou, im just saying they are there for other purposes

3.5Max6spd
09-16-2005, 12:51 PM

x2:laugh:

negativezeroz
09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
it's not.. it's simply made to have a good flat response (well unless using MX, which then totally blows your comps)

What do you mean it "blows your comps"

ITs not like its a 400W amp clipping your comps right after you press MX....:uhoh:

Slaugh
09-16-2005, 03:29 PM
What do you mean it "blows your comps"

ITs not like its a 400W amp clipping your comps right after you press MX....:uhoh:
i mean that it totally craps out the sound from the comps... not that they literally blow or anything

gottcha?

adam71
09-16-2005, 04:34 PM
also, does any1 know if the "Media Xpander" is a good thing to use? will it send a dirty signal like Pioneer's "loud"?

A little off topic but a loudness function does NOT send a dirty signal. It boosts low and high frequencies so that you can hear bass and treble clearly when you are listening at low volume level. Its not to be used when you have the system cranked up.

negativezeroz
09-17-2005, 01:18 AM
i mean that it totally craps out the sound from the comps... not that they literally blow or anything

gottcha?

I figured you meant that...
Was bout to say what cheap comps do you have? Legacy...lol jk

Slaugh
09-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I figured you meant that...
Was bout to say what cheap comps do you have? Legacy...lol jk
wtf, you must be kiddin right? you realized the best your comps are, the least you need band boosters, such as MX?????

the better your comps are the least you need to equalize, they simply sound so much better without equalization than a crappy comp...

geez lol i hope you know that

negativezeroz
09-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I know that and since I dont have any comps I use it...if I had comps I wouldnt use them....(hince I put Legacy comps as in if you had them you most lilkely would need MX plus hell of alot of equalizing to get them to sound even "ok")

I was gonna run 4 sets of Perfect 6.1's but my parental unit said no cuz Im selling the car in may so new car = Utopia 165W :)

Slaugh
09-17-2005, 01:26 PM
ah lol ok... glad to know you were joking hehe :)