PDA

View Full Version : Head unit smoking :(

MrCricket
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,

I have a kenwood excelon 579 deck, and yesterday while driving it started smoking when i had it on a moderate - loud volume ( maybe 60% volume). I promptly turned it off, but now when I have it on a high pitched noise comes out of the speakers, even when the deck is in standby mode (i.e. shouldn't be sending any signals). Messing around with it further, the noise only is apparent when my headlights are turned ON. Everything on the HU seems to be working correctly though.

What do you think the problem is? A blown fuse? Is this something I will be able to fix, or will I have to get a new deck.

Thanks a bunch,

-Simon

azbass
09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
let me take a stab, i might be wrong but a smoking HU is probably not a good thing

chris96camaro
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
let me take a stab, i might be wrong but a smoking HU is probably not a good thing

You know i thought that same exact thing before i even clicked on this thread

MrCricket
09-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes I realize that this isn't exactly what I want happening from my HU, but it still plays music correctly, and I can adjust the settings, etc. I just hear a buzzing sound...

chinny
09-15-2005, 08:32 PM
get a new one..

chris96camaro
09-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Throw that biotch out the window while driving at a high rate of speed...i bet it stops smoking

Then get a new one

937DYTBOI
09-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Now thats funny a smoking deck.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: whats ur wires touching

Johnny Drama
09-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey guys,

I have a kenwood excelon 579 deck, and yesterday while driving it started smoking when i had it on a moderate - loud volume ( maybe 60% volume). I promptly turned it off, but now when I have it on a high pitched noise comes out of the speakers, even when the deck is in standby mode (i.e. shouldn't be sending any signals). Messing around with it further, the noise only is apparent when my headlights are turned ON. Everything on the HU seems to be working correctly though.

What do you think the problem is? A blown fuse? Is this something I will be able to fix, or will I have to get a new deck.

Thanks a bunch,

-Simon

Kinda sounds like you grounded the unit to a power source. Or you could have some exposed wires touching somewhere. Be sure to check your wires, I know some folks that something similar has happened when they accidentally grounded it to the illumination wire.

RADEoN
09-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, it does sound like he has feedback issues. Try a fresh ground. It may fix it. I'd also suggest replacing whatever wires are smoldered behind your deck.

Alpineinstaller
09-16-2005, 02:26 PM
umm the last time i heard of someones deck smoking thier sound processing chip had went bad.....the remote crossed with a speaker wire and wala! bad sound then no sound.

adam71
09-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Get that out of your car before something else starts smoking along with it.....like the rest of your car from an electrical fire.

Joe31
09-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Yea, get that **** outta your car ASAP man haha, ur car is gonna be in flames before you know it :O