PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Boston Pros to CDT HD. What amp to get?

SirSyko
09-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Right now I have Boston Pros 6.5" hooked up to a small tantrum amp in my Camaro. Im buying CDT HDs from a buddy of mine to replace these because the Pros are just too harsh for me.

I really need to upgrade my amp and was wondering on what to get. I had the diamond D5 in mind but would really like something that puts out more power.

bri487
09-15-2005, 02:01 AM
really, i like the pros. i think it is one of the smoothest sounding speakers out there. i dont think they are that harsh, but my ears are different than yours. anyway, what kind of budget do you have to work with?

SirSyko
09-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Im thinking around 200, dont care if its new or used. I dont know, maybe its because they distort at high volumes due to lack of power?

bri487
09-15-2005, 02:19 AM
see if you can find like a zapco i-450. i think its about 180x2 at 4 ohms.

squeak9798
09-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Im thinking around 200, dont care if its new or used. I dont know, maybe its because they distort at high volumes due to lack of power?

How much power do you have on them?

If it's anything less than 200w per side....then they would really enjoy more power.

iceteebone
09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
trading bostons for HD's? :sick: i've had both sets and like the bostons a lot more. i had about 280 watts per side going to my bostons. did you set the tweeter level down on the crossover?

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2005, 11:40 AM
wow.. step backwards IMO

At least consider giving them more power and tune...tune...tune!

The HD's need decent juice as well, from the setups I've heard the mids bring the stage down big time unless you have a good 150 rms + going to them, the tweets are rather lifeless low power.

RCwhat
09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
yeah you're defnintely taking a step in the wrong direction. try getting a nice eq

edit: dude, your amp only puts out 60w x 2 @ 14.4v. The pro's are simply crying for more power, you're gonna need to at least triple that power to make them sing the way that they want to.

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
lol 60 x 2? man no wonder, all you are hearing is tweets..

squeak9798
09-15-2005, 02:08 PM

:word:

Like I always say....200w per side or your not going to be happy with the Pro's.

And, as everyone else said.....you should keep the pro's, give 'em more power and work on the tuning and install rather than switch to the HD's

Down
09-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Can you please explain why this is? I have the Boston rallys on a Lunar 100x2, and they do this so much I want to get rid of them because of it. Only thing I havn't done is deadening. Can you explain?:eyebrow:

-down

squeak9798
09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Not enough power to get the mid performing optimally

iceteebone
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you please explain why this is? I have the Boston rallys on a Lunar 100x2, and they do this so much I want to get rid of them because of it. Only thing I havn't done is deadening. Can you explain?:eyebrow:

-down

that would help a lot

SSS 18734
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
if you DO decide to get rid of them, give me a holler. I've got a 400 watt per side amp thats just crying out for some serious components.

loud-n-low
09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
keep the bostons!!!!...but hey..opinions are like***holes,everybody's got one!

Eugenics
09-15-2005, 05:38 PM
but when theres enough experienced people telling you not to do something you might want to let yourself be swayed

adam71
09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Keep the Bostons, get a bigger amp since you were planning to do that anyway and seriously consider a nice equalizer (the one in your deck doesn't count). Nuff said.

SirSyko
09-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Well Im thinking of just keeping both sets for now and just comparing each on a nicer more powerful amp. The bostons are set to -3db on the crossovers and flat at 10k on the head unit. The tweeters are not excesive, theyre just piercing. I also dont have much midbass. The woofers are in stock location without sound deadening but my doors dont rattle.

I couldnt pass up the CDTs. They were only 200 and I did hear how they sounded in his WRX. They were not tuned at all but they had a whole lot more midbass than my bostons. The tweeters did sound a little flat on them, but that is nothing that tuning cant fix, plus I have a better sound stage set up for the tweets than he did.

On second thought, I am going to sell the bostons for sure. First of all, I can always buy them again on ebay, and second, I just love going through different types of caraudio. You cant buy a memory of a Tool song through many different types of speakers.

The real question is, what amp to get?

squeak9798
09-16-2005, 12:22 AM
The tweeters are not excesive, theyre just piercing.

Where are they located?

I also dont have much midbass.

Because you don't have any power going to them ;)

The woofers are in stock location without sound deadening but my doors dont rattle.

Those doors are doing a lot more than you think they are ;)

On second thought, I am going to sell the bostons for sure. First of all, I can always buy them again on ebay, and second, I just love going through different types of caraudio.

Still a bad idea IMHO...but, it's you're equipment.

The real question is, what amp to get?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dRJenfy13OE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=049RAA2400&search=mb+quart&SearchDisplay=MB+Quart

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHORX2002

Or, if you want to step up into manhood, find yourself one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-34230-1100W-2-Channel-Amp-MINT_W0QQitemZ5806908054QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - That's what I had going to my Pro's...and let me tell you, I have not heard anything get as obscenely loud as the Pro's did when ran off of that amp....other than my horns. Absolutely ridiculous. Sad part is, they didn't sound bad doing it either. They actually sounded great. It would literally make my ears pop it got so loud. You could hear it from a few blocks away.....seriously.

But, like I said...your call.

netherland24
09-16-2005, 12:23 AM
i will take thsoe bostons off ur hands if u want.

Bake
09-16-2005, 04:05 PM
i will take thsoe bostons off ur hands if u want.

you beat me to it. haha

djman37
09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Avionixx AXA 400.2 BNIB or eD NINE.2 Mint lemme know email [email protected]

jrouter76
09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Well Im thinking of just keeping both sets for now and just comparing each on a nicer more powerful amp. The bostons are set to -3db on the crossovers and flat at 10k on the head unit. The tweeters are not excesive, theyre just piercing. I also dont have much midbass. The woofers are in stock location without sound deadening but my doors dont rattle.

I couldnt pass up the CDTs. They were only 200 and I did hear how they sounded in his WRX. They were not tuned at all but they had a whole lot more midbass than my bostons. The tweeters did sound a little flat on them, but that is nothing that tuning cant fix, plus I have a better sound stage set up for the tweets than he did.

On second thought, I am going to sell the bostons for sure. First of all, I can always buy them again on ebay, and second, I just love going through different types of caraudio. You cant buy a memory of a Tool song through many different types of speakers.

The real question is, what amp to get?I had some boston pros 5.25" comps and you are right there`s a lack of midbass the tweets were nice i had them at -3db and they were pretty clean,I feed them 150 watts/per channel..I now have a pair of CDT`s HDs 6.5' and I deaden my doors big-time and used a 3/4" spacer to mount the midbass and i`m feeding them 200 watts and they sound **** NICE..great mid bass and I love the way silk tweets sound nice and smooth even after listening to music for an hour,they don`t start sounding like speaker fatigue like metal type tweets...go for it you won`t be sorry
'

bri487
09-17-2005, 02:22 AM
hey djman, nice avatar. that was the background on my computer for a while. my gf is a big cat lover. i found it funny when she used my computer.