PDA

View Full Version : not sure what to do with rainbow components

Lil Poot
09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
i'm about to order a new set of 265.03 rainbows. i've got an orion 8004 to run them. they're goin in kickpanels in my 87 trans am, but im not sure how to do them. someone else is making them for me for 200 bucks and says for 250 he can seal the back of it in fiberglass to make an enclosure. i want good midbass but i dont want to give up much of the mids and highs.

sealing it wont affect the mids and high right, just make the midbass a lot louder? any downsides to going totally sealed vs using a baffle or just leaving it ib?

Lil Poot
09-14-2005, 07:06 AM
ttt

Lil Poot
09-14-2005, 07:12 AM
no ****... well i guess i'd better have him seal it up then lol. he said it would probably be something like 0.1 ft^3

does the size make any real difference in sound? need to get down into square inches? he said he'll have no problem giving me a little more than the 65mm mounting depth on the rainbows so itll probably be about 2.75 inches deep.

what about tweaker placing, facing the person on the other side of the car? like with the passenger side one facing me and my side facing passenger?

OlogyAudio
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Find out the qts of those drivers but .1 cuft is way too small IMHO unless the qes is like .2 or something... depending on the qts you may be better off with a quasi IB setup into the door... like what I'm doing for example...

A door is rly just a leaky sealed enclosure... The small holes venting to the outside world hardly count as IB atleast in my door... if you put a wood sheet spaced up a little bit above the holes it would turn the chamber into a ported alignment you know :) -- would still allow drainage... The seal around the top if tight shouldn't be an issue... :naughty:

I suggest atleast makin the pod and let a professional finish it... mine are ugly as hell and I think I'm going to find someone to finish it...

Raven
09-14-2005, 05:59 PM
$250 is kind of expensive, you could do it yourself for around $30 and some time..

For most of us, a gallon of FG resin is at least $30. When I initially got all my supplies for glassing it cost me about $150. I would call good kickpanels for $30 in materials almost impossible.

Find out the qts of those drivers but .1 cuft is way too small IMHO unless the qes is like .2 or something... depending on the qts you may be better off with a quasi IB setup into the door... like what I'm doing for example...
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/downloads/rainbow_tsp_woofers_en.pdf
Woofer is W 165 SLC. QES is 0.98. Have fun. =)

Lil Poot
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
so my best bet will be to have the kickpanels made normally, unsealed, and put some deadener back there? or do i want to buy a pair of those 10 dollar baffles?

60ndown
09-14-2005, 09:21 PM
so my best bet will be to have the kickpanels made normally, unsealed, and put some deadener back there? or do i want to buy a pair of those 10 dollar baffles?

if you have minimal car audio knowledge and this friend of yours is going to build and fit (wire)your speakers in kicks, and you have the money, id say go for it, it would take you hours and be a pain in the @ss if you dont know what your doing.make sure he does seal them tho!...no holes anywhere except the ones the speakers go in:) and for 250 they should the kicks should look like they came with the car..nice and clean , colour matched etc etc!

OlogyAudio
09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Woofer is W 165 SLC. QES is 0.98. Have fun. =)[/QUOTE]

************************************** WTF! -- Yea dude DO NOT MAKE KICKS PUT THEM IN YOUR **** DOORS.... :)

AllStar1500bd
09-14-2005, 11:59 PM
For most of us, a gallon of FG resin is at least $30. When I initially got all my supplies for glassing it cost me about $150. I would call good kickpanels for $30 in materials almost impossible.
Wal-Mart is my friend. Cost me $33 today for a gallon of resin, extra tube hardener, glass mat, 4 brushes, painter's tape, disp. gloves. All I need is a wooden dowel from Lowe's and I'm good to go. Will post a work-log starting tomorrow. :p:

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Woofer is W 165 SLC. QES is 0.98. Have fun. =)

************************************** WTF! -- Yea dude DO NOT MAKE KICKS PUT THEM IN YOUR **** DOORS.... :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, never of anyone sealing them other than Flakko...weird
They are more than fit for IB

Save the kick space, and instead start duct taping the tweet all over the place until you find sweet home for it and call it a day.

squeak9798
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
You guys do realize it's relatively easy to build kickpanels that are IB, correct?

Lil Poot
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
i've done a bit of fabricating and did all the installation and box building with this system so i think i could tackle an ib kick install, i just dont want to be the one cutting up my kickpanels. hes not making new ones, hes one of the moderators over on thirdgen.org, and has done more than a few of them. basically i send him 200 bucks and send my kickpanels to him and he modifies them. im not entirely clear what ib means, i think it means just doing your best to seperate the front from the back of the speaker right? like if i did unsealed kicks then tried to seal off the major air leaks behind the panel? what exactly is used to seal this up, deadener sheets?

Lil Poot
10-11-2005, 11:29 PM
the kicks are made, and i am waiting on a set of alumapro alc 6.2's. trying to find the specs for mounting holes, can't find them anywhere online and when i emailed alumapro they said its on the bottom of the box. dont have the box yet, but i want the kicks ready for the set.

they're not sealed off, and will be carpeted, should match my interior pretty well, will just screw in place of the original kick panels. i can handle the wiring myself, although im not quite sure how to wire the set up to my orion. i believe its 2 ohm stable and does 200x2 at 2 ohms, 100x2 at 4. it says they're 4 ohm speakers on the site, but i've never run a component set and dont know how it works with the tweets.

ill have a 2 ohm load for the 6's but how about the tweets, and how much power can they handle? they're the silk tweets, i believe the same as the cal 25 rainbow tweets.

should have a couple photos of the kicks in the next day or two, i'll post finished pics when its installed.

OlogyAudio
10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
You guys do realize it's relatively easy to build kickpanels that are IB, correct?
True... :) -- I mean my speaker pods are IB