PDA

View Full Version : Noticed something funny RE:DLS

Vash
09-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey I just noticed something really funny about my midbass.
I have the Iridium 8.3s
My car is a Miata 01 LS
Installation is IB

For some reason, when I open my door, there's TONS more midbass pumping, but when I close it the bass is a lot quieter. It feels like the speakers are working just the same but the sound is weaker???? WTF? Also, how come when I use the balance and move it all the way to the right or left with 1 door playing there's more bass?? Is there sound cancelation going on or something ? Just some weird stuff..:banghead:

jujumantb
09-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Yep, cancellation.

Try messing with the phasing.

theCybe
09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Maybe it's the drainage port on your door; Mine are funny like that when the windows are down; When they're up, the slot along the top of the door is closed.

When they're down, it's open. it's like a giant port. ;)

3.5Max6spd
09-12-2005, 05:23 PM
thats common for all...when you open the doors you are actually aimimg them as opposed to the avg 30degree off axis response you typically get with the doors closed

squeak9798
09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah....lots of things change between door being open and door being closed.

Vash
09-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Soo is there anything I can do to help remediate this problem?? Like anythign electronic? ???

Justintoxicated
09-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey I just noticed something really funny about my midbass.
I have the Iridium 8.3s
My car is a Miata 01 LS
Installation is IB

For some reason, when I open my door, there's TONS more midbass pumping, but when I close it the bass is a lot quieter. It feels like the speakers are working just the same but the sound is weaker???? WTF? Also, how come when I use the balance and move it all the way to the right or left with 1 door playing there's more bass?? Is there sound cancelation going on or something ? Just some weird stuff..:banghead:

No you didn't you noticed this last month! :P

haha just playin.

I think you would have to move the speakers and you don't have much room so it's probably as good as it gets. Have you messed with time Alignment yet?

adam71
09-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Also, how come when I use the balance and move it all the way to the right or left with 1 door playing there's more bass?? :

This part sounds like his speakers are out of phase. Check your speaker wires and make sure you don't have any speakers wired backwards.

Vash
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
This part sounds like his speakers are out of phase. Check your speaker wires and make sure you don't have any speakers wired backwards.

I'm going to check this over the weekend (speaker polarity). But I've played with time alignment and I got tons more bass! It's a miata and I only have a front state. Would using time alignment from my alpine 9811 but a suitable solution? I'm separating the left and right speakers 7.2 mili.secs and it does sound like the sound field got wider, or I could just be blowing smoke. Thanks for all the help so far!

3.5Max6spd
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
how exactly does t/a increase bass?:eyebrow:

Vash
09-27-2005, 08:49 PM
My explanation for that is, if the sound waves get to ur ear at different times, then it would not cancel each other. Hence I can hear teh bass, not really increasing the volume of it. ANyone else with any other ideas??