PDA

View Full Version : sound proofing in an apartment?

sumone
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
anyone have any tips? I can't take down or construct new walls as this is an apartment & it's only for my room. I just want to get isolated from everything else when I listen to my stereo at home. I live on the second floor of a 3 flat so I hear noise from below & above (walking, other stereos, tvs, etc.)

tRiGgEr
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
If you don't mind asthetics, line your walls with egg crates. It will dampen but not sound proof. Short from re-building the apartment you wont be able to fully sound "proof" it.

JimJ
09-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Get louder than they are :D

I have the same issue...**** neighbor's TV next to my bedroom wall.

Just wait until I get the Klipsch's working...:)

Range Rover
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Shoot my apts have 3 inches of concrete between floors.. and are tripled walled between apartment homes.

My neighbor would fire a shotgun..

I wouldnt hear ****..

:)

bjfish11
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM
dynamat????

Chevyaudio
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Me too, My neighbor plays the piano, and sings horribly, so i just crank up the good ol HT system and put the TV on Classic Rock and let my 12" subwoofer do the talking for me.

bimma85
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM

hahaha x2... plus why the fok would you spend all that $ on an APARTMENT.... :crazy:
that would just be retarded... no offense

Chevyaudio
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
dynamat????

Blinged Out Walls :uhoh:

Range Rover
09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
or you could just walk over there and tell them to turn their ****** **** off..

in a stern manner..

:)

thylantyr
09-12-2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.soundproofing.org/

sumone
09-12-2005, 02:44 PM
And it's more too of me not disturbing them...if it's anyone that should be blamed for playing bassy music, it'd be me. I say bassy 'cause Idon't necessarily play my music loud, it's just that bass travels through the whole building even if it's not loud. It's just those everyday sounds you know, walking around the house where some floor boards are squeaky, walking with impact, people dropping things on the floor, etc. So it's not an blatantly obvious disturbance kinda thing, just there's very little isolation.between apartments.

Plus the sound reproduction in my room is horrible cause of all the reverberations & bass cancellation I've got going on. My room being pretty empty, nothing on the walls, and only blinds over the windows, would explain why though.

I know I can't fully proof my room without some major construction mods, but there has to be something I can do, even though it won't be as effective.

All I have are the Klipsche ProMedia 2.1s.

Aside from the egg carton solution, all that was mentioned was dynamat, which I don't think is practical....I've thought about studio foam but don't know if that's really what I need. Mass loaded vinyl on the floor came up too but you have to lay another "floor" on top of it...

Basically all the sound-proofing things I've done research on have to do with major construction, which ain't a possibility in my case.

tRiGgEr
09-12-2005, 06:28 PM
2" sheetrock between the walls, nothing better :)

:read:

Apartment, can't rebuild anything...

bimma85
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
you are already give a bunch or your money to the landlord and will have nothing to show when ya move out. Why are you trying to give the landlord more time and money?... fok e1 else if they dont like your bass tell em to shove it.

JimJ
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Imagine if you had an 18 inch temult:naughty:

Yeah, I'd be living in my van, down by the river...

There's a reason why I chose the apartment on the third floor, on a corner of a building...so I only have two people to potentially **** off :)

sumone
09-13-2005, 05:17 PM
^ I take it roof in Canada = ceiling in the US?

This would help for dampened sound, correct?

I'm tempted to just buy loads of foam & stick them on the walls but I heard doing that makes your room like a sauna...?

swc204
09-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I'd be living in my van, down by the river...

There's a reason why I chose the apartment on the third floor, on a corner of a building...so I only have two people to potentially **** off :)

i miss chris farley.......:crying:

JimJ
09-13-2005, 06:43 PM
The sad part was...I wasn't joking :)